Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

On 1/7/2024 at 6:30 PM, Gladys said:

jibe at Kopek who couldn't understand why they would take until March to do the refit. (Sorry Kopek )

.....but if you re read the section you would see that is not what I was saying, as I explained to you in a subsequent posting???

To turn a Shoprite into a Tesco? What ae they going to do? Knock it all down and build from scratch? Or shuffle the aisles about to give them the Tesco standard of 2.4 m aisle width/????

I did explain that I was talkjng about a Strand St overnight shop fit, which has happened and has been visible to anyone walking through Strand St after 5pm, perhaps not You Gladys!!!! But has been visible to everyone else Gladys!!!

Despite JWs expllantion of Tesco standrdisation. What will a refit actually bring about? A brand new supermarket? Or more of the same??? Not Asda, not Waitrose  but TESCO, hey praise be the lord.

Wish you a good year Glaadys.

Heard Martyn Perkins on Mannin Line today saying Tesco will be adding a “ small charge for carriage “ assumingly referring to the ferry costs . Went on to say 5p on a packet of cornflakes is reasonable! Sounds to me like further inflationary pressure coming to the island and Tesco are going to increase their profit margins as currently Lake Road runs the same prices as across and do not include any carriage costs to my knowledge. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, IOM said:

Heard Martyn Perkins on Mannin Line today saying Tesco will be adding a “ small charge for carriage “ assumingly referring to the ferry costs . Went on to say 5p on a packet of cornflakes is reasonable! Sounds to me like further inflationary pressure coming to the island and Tesco are going to increase their profit margins as currently Lake Road runs the same prices as across and do not include any carriage costs to my knowledge. 

A figure of 2% was stated somewhere. Live of a rock, expect higher costs.

1 hour ago, GD4ELI said:

A figure of 2% was stated somewhere. Live of a rock, expect higher costs.

Yes I guess but sounds like customers at Lake Road can expect price rises so it will be more expensive overall than it was before Tesco bought Shoprite . 

5 minutes ago, IOM said:

Yes I guess but sounds like customers at Lake Road can expect price rises so it will be more expensive overall than it was before Tesco bought Shoprite . 

But not as expensive as Shoprite 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DNWIFOG said:

But not as expensive as Shoprite

Oh good, praise be to Tesco and their unbounded generosity! By 'eck - we should feel ourselves privileged to be under the Tesco monopoly.

Edited by Utah 01
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, IOM said:

Steamie charges again...one would have to look at whatever discount (if any) that Shoprite received vs whatever discount (if any) that Tesco received for shipping their trailers and what, if any, effects the presence of the new "monopoly" will have on those discounts.

Tentacles of lack of competition everywhere implied.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Steamie charges again...one would have to look at whatever discount (if any) that Shoprite received vs whatever discount (if any) that Tesco received for shipping their trailers and what, if any, effects the presence of the new "monopoly" will have on those discounts.

Tentacles of lack of competition everywhere implied.

There is no chance whatsoever of the steam packet revealing these charges. 

Just now, Happier diner said:

There is no chance whatsoever of the steam packet revealing these charges. 

None whatsoever. But the Island's consumers will again be hit and will be expected to just suck it up.

• Thanks 1