Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

3 hours ago, IOM said:

Heard Martyn Perkins on Mannin Line today saying Tesco will be adding a “ small charge for carriage “ assumingly referring to the ferry costs . Went on to say 5p on a packet of cornflakes is reasonable! Sounds to me like further inflationary pressure coming to the island and Tesco are going to increase their profit margins as currently Lake Road runs the same prices as across and do not include any carriage costs to my knowledge. 

Perkins is just a retired bloke from Laxey, with, as far as I know, no connection to Tesco, Shoprite, or the retail or logisitics business.

My interpretation of his comments was that he was just talking speculatively, perhaps saying what many people think, or expect, but without any authority or insight.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

None whatsoever. But the Island's consumers will again be hit and will be expected to just suck it up.

In what way.? Tesco use one carrier, ShopRite another. It's called business. You don't have to suck anything up. You can shop where you want. 

If I was putting money on it I'd bet that Tesco paid less than ShopRite. Just a hunch I admit but I know how hard they bargain. 

39 minutes ago, Manxman1234 said:

Wonder how long before the first of the small convenience stores close.

the express at bottom of Vic rd in Douglas will impact a few of the small stores around there. Wonder how many will survive 

Why? It's an opportunity for them

38 minutes ago, Manxman1234 said:

I can see a few of them been impacted with the changes, especially large one in Ramsey, potentially Peel also 

Why. It's an opportunity for them. 

1 hour ago, Nellie said:

Perkins is just a retired bloke from Laxey, with, as far as I know, no connection to Tesco, Shoprite, or the retail or logisitics business.

My interpretation of his comments was that he was just talking speculatively, perhaps saying what many people think, or expect, but without any authority or insight.

It was a blatant attempt to make himself popular. It didn't with me. Typical low grade politician. Say what they think everyone wants to hear but absolutely no substance in what he was saying. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It was a blatant attempt to make himself popular. It didn't with me. Typical low grade politician. Say what they think everyone wants to hear but absolutely no substance in what he was saying. 

He’s still far better than Smith who never says anything!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Banker said:

He’s still far better than Smith who never says anything!!

Let's not forget the lengths he and Boot went to to top up their gold plated pensions with a £30k plus parachute payment.

It wouldn't be quite so bad if either of them had done anything remotely good while in office. Useless greedy parasites!

• Thanks 1