Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

3 minutes ago, Kopek said:

.... tho they were proved right in law, relied on 'interpretation' but right in the end.

Could also be seen as Age Discrimination?

Yes they were right in the eyes of employment law. Some might say that they were a bit disingenuous. Fine line. 

2 hours ago, Kopek said:

I don't think there is law against dis ingenuity?

We wouldn't have any MHKs if so!!!

I would suggest that the spirit of the law was to support members who'd been kicked out of the keys while they found another job - tide them over sort of thing, that's why it's known as a parachute payment.

Being in receipt of a  pension on exit would remove the need for such a payment.

Call me an idealistic old if you like, but is it really too much to ask that a person who had been elected to serve the best interests of the people they represent may be above exploiting the technical weaknesses of a law for their own personal greed?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nellie said:

Perkins is just a retired bloke from Laxey, with, as far as I know, no connection to Tesco, Shoprite, or the retail or logisitics business.

My interpretation of his comments was that he was just talking speculatively, perhaps saying what many people think, or expect, but without any authority or insight.

Spot on. He just read the press release at the time of the announcement and is speculating. Not a good idea to talk ourselves out of the favourable status quo at the existing store, although there is no saying what will happen in the future.

• Like 1

I don't understand why some people are/were so protective of Shoprite. They sold the Island out in the early 90's when they moved their head office to Scotland as they sensed a chance to make a quick buck. That failed miserably for them and they retreated back to the Isle of Man, where they were able to use NIMBYism and their monopoly position to make it near impossible for any other supermarket chain to set up. 

In more recent years they've been so poorly run - prices way above RRP in many cases. They've swung between Wilkos/Waitrose/Sainsburys/Iceland - proper identity crisis retailing. Latterly they were losing money hand over fist and were desperate for investment or to sell up. You only had to visit the Victoria Road store on a Sunday afternoon (when Tesco Lake Road would be packed) and the store was like a ghost town. 

Tesco IOM certainly hasn't been loss making (but also isn't their most profitable store in the British Isles, like some people would have you believe). They're a well run PLC and if it was making a loss it would have been closed down yesterday. They've signed a lease for the 9 Shoprite stores, but as with any commercial leases there are realistic break clauses written in, so if any of the Shoprites don't turn a profit for Tesco, I don't doubt they'll be closed within a couple of years. But if they're run well like Lake Road then there's no reason they shouldn't make a profit. 

Perkins is just making noise for the sake of it. If Government had stuck their oar in to the deal all that would have happened is Shoprite going out of business before a deal could be signed. Imagine the job losses from that?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Hairy Poppins said:

I don't understand why some people are/were so protective of Shoprite. They sold the Island out in the early 90's when they moved their head office to Scotland as they sensed a chance to make a quick buck. That failed miserably for them and they retreated back to the Isle of Man, where they were able to use NIMBYism and their monopoly position to make it near impossible for any other supermarket chain to set up. 

In more recent years they've been so poorly run - prices way above RRP in many cases. They've swung between Wilkos/Waitrose/Sainsburys/Iceland - proper identity crisis retailing. Latterly they were losing money hand over fist and were desperate for investment or to sell up. You only had to visit the Victoria Road store on a Sunday afternoon (when Tesco Lake Road would be packed) and the store was like a ghost town. 

Tesco IOM certainly hasn't been loss making (but also isn't their most profitable store in the British Isles, like some people would have you believe). They're a well run PLC and if it was making a loss it would have been closed down yesterday. They've signed a lease for the 9 Shoprite stores, but as with any commercial leases there are realistic break clauses written in, so if any of the Shoprites don't turn a profit for Tesco, I don't doubt they'll be closed within a couple of years. But if they're run well like Lake Road then there's no reason they shouldn't make a profit. 

Perkins is just making noise for the sake of it. If Government had stuck their oar in to the deal all that would have happened is Shoprite going out of business before a deal could be signed. Imagine the job losses from that?

They never moved their head office to Scotland.

8 hours ago, Hairy Poppins said:

,  IF shoprite is/was quiet because people had decided to travel to shop at tesco lake road instead of staying in ramsey , peel , port erin etc and using shoprite all this is going to do is make tesco douglas a quieter place and save people the travel time and costs .  tesco have paid to pick up the trade from 9  shops , some of which were quieter than  ideal, at the cost of running 9 shops ,  the only extra trade they may get is from the people using the coop because it was better than shoprite in their eyes ( they were probably correct on that note )  so my take is that the coop in ramsey will become a little quieter. maybe the coop will pick up a few tesco haters to compensate??

Edited by WTF

15 minutes ago, WTF said:

,  IF shoprite is/was quiet because people had decided to travel to shop at tesco lake road instead of staying in ramsey , peel , port erin etc and using shoprite all this is going to do is make tesco douglas a quieter place and save people the travel time and costs .  tesco have paid to pick up the trade from 9  shops , some of which were quieter than  ideal, at the cost of running 9 shops ,  the only extra trade they may get is from the people using the coop because it was better than shoprite in their eyes ( they were probably correct on that note )  so my take is that the coop in ramsey will become a little quieter. maybe the coop will pick up a few tesco haters to compensate??

Ding ding..

This is exactly how I see it as well. The only thing this will do is spread out the people who originally drove from Peel / Port Erin / Ramsey into to Douglas to go to Tesco, as they now won't need to do that.

I've heard they've got delusions of grandeur on the amount of money they're hoping to take each week in certain stores compared to what SR take at the moment. It's not going to happen.

There's no chance they keep all 9 open long term.

• Like 2

i wonder if they've got a right to buy any of the sites - that would make it easier for them to expand footprints

expansion of one site in ramsey and consolidation to a single site would be a better long term strategy than two smaller sites in the same town