Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

1 hour ago, swoopy2110 said:

Ding ding..

This is exactly how I see it as well. The only thing this will do is spread out the people who originally drove from Peel / Port Erin / Ramsey into to Douglas to go to Tesco, as they now won't need to do that.

I've heard they've got delusions of grandeur on the amount of money they're hoping to take each week in certain stores compared to what SR take at the moment. It's not going to happen.

There's no chance they keep all 9 open long term.

I agree. I can see all stores except Douglas (at some point) being designated as Express stores. It's already started Victoria Rd will be an "Express" store:

Screenshot 2024-01-17 10.26.01.png

2 hours ago, WTF said:

,  IF shoprite is/was quiet because people had decided to travel to shop at tesco lake road instead of staying in ramsey , peel , port erin etc and using shoprite all this is going to do is make tesco douglas a quieter place and save people the travel time and costs .  tesco have paid to pick up the trade from 9  shops , some of which were quieter than  ideal, at the cost of running 9 shops ,  the only extra trade they may get is from the people using the coop because it was better than shoprite in their eyes ( they were probably correct on that note )  so my take is that the coop in ramsey will become a little quieter. maybe the coop will pick up a few tesco haters to compensate??

shoprite was too expensive and no ofeders or clubacrd to save just no reason to go there in the end newtescos will also have more than food like c;othes and stuff soemoens said more reason to go there 

53 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I agree. I can see all stores except Douglas (at some point) being designated as Express stores. It's already started Victoria Rd will be an "Express" store:

Screenshot 2024-01-17 10.26.01.png

I thought they said Peel, Ramsey and Victoria Rd would be superstores and the rest express. Victoria Rd would be the worlds biggest Tesco express. Must be a mistake on their website surely

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I thought they said Peel, Ramsey and Victoria Rd would be superstores and the rest express. Victoria Rd would be the worlds biggest Tesco express. Must be a mistake on their website surely

It's not their website that though is it, it's just Google? So some halfwit has updated it.

The only Tesco showing on their website is the main store.

image.png.b05a505eeba0c76a5efc92d2022a7abe.png

Edited by NoTailT
  • Like 1

Went past Vic Road a few days ago - it was a hive of activity.  But it was quite funny that the workmen were dodging the "Open As Usual" sign left outside the entrance!

Perhaps it was an intentional bit of irony.  

44 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It's only a guess but I reckon they'll also sell clothing, dry & white goods at Victoria Rd as well.

As for size:

21 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Went past Vic Road a few days ago - it was a hive of activity.  But it was quite funny that the workmen were dodging the "Open As Usual" sign left outside the entrance!

Perhaps it was an intentional bit of irony.  

No. Its means the pharmacy. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, woolley said:

So they've been running a loss at Lake Road for 25 years and never noticed?

Not a loss as such, but a loss on what they would have been making if they factored in the extra cost.

They're much less likely to do that now they've got nine more stores and have got rid of almost all of their competition, wouldn't you think?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, woolley said:

They never moved their head office to Scotland.

My memory may have dulled in the 30+ years since it happened, but they certainly made a song and dance out of moving part or all of their office to Scotland. They acted Billy Big Bollocks and then got chased out of the UK mainland by competition.

• Like 1

Castletown (boo), winerite, Michael street and St Paul's are the expresses.

Is normal Tesco bigger than big shoprite? People will still travel in to the main one I reckon, cos it'll have more lines. But less often, obviously.

The Castletown one being closed has been a slighter bigger nuisance than anticipated to me. A lack of preparation all round. Took the coop a couple of days to get their milk order sorted out, but I don't mind black coffee first thing in the morning so it was ok.

• Like 2