Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

2 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Not unless they reinstate the Shoprite hot food counter.

I think there is very little if no chance of that given Tesco have closed all their food counters across 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, finlo said:

Other than the fact that all the money will now leave the island.

They need to make sure they've not fiddling their tax dues either.

I never understood Shoprite’s slogan in the final years. “Proudly locally owned”. What was that supposed to mean? The money stays in the pockets of a local millionaire instead of a UK one? Felt like a massive marketing fail and no tangible incentive to go there, especially in times when money is tight and inevitably the need to make the pound go further trumps the desire to shop local. The whole place felt like they stopped trying years ago.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

I never understood Shoprite’s slogan in the final years. “Proudly locally owned”. What was that supposed to mean? The money stays in the pockets of a local millionaire instead of a UK one? Felt like a massive marketing fail and no tangible incentive to go there, especially in times when money is tight and inevitably the need to make the pound go further trumps the desire to shop local. The whole place felt like they stopped trying years ago.  

After all the off-island-sourced stock is paid for (which is everything apart from a few veg and Ballakelly meat), how much money actually stays on-Island?