Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

After all the off-island-sourced stock is paid for (which is everything apart from a few veg and Ballakelly meat), how much money actually stays on-Island?

I reckon the only difference to the Manx economy is that at Shoprite the back office functions were carried out in Douglas head office where staff have been made redundant. Those salaries circulated here. Other than that, staffing of the stores and warehouse should be similar, maybe slightly better remunerated, so the payroll tax/NI shouldn't alter much. Large retail tax take may even improve a bit because there is only one £500k allowance now against the combined Tesco/Shoprite profit. Makes no difference to Tesco if they pay their tax here. It will be deductible against their UK liability.

10 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

After all the off-island-sourced stock is paid for (which is everything apart from a few veg and Ballakelly meat), how much money actually stays on-Island?

Lower prices better for more people, I think it's a stretch that the mercantilist dream around visions of local coffee shops extends to the supermarket shelves 

Obviously this assumes Tesco don't abuse new monopoly position but they were significantly cheaper than Shoprite for an average shop

6 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Starting to appear? Or have appeared?

If you were being pedantic and they were official Tesco shots I suppose you would say “have appeared” “have been published” or “have been made public” etc.

In this case it was meant to be light hearted, and I still think in the context of what I was trying to do before a pedantic grammar nazi came along “starting to appear” reads better.

IMG_0202.jpeg

Edited by CrazyDave

10 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

If you were being pedantic and they were official Tesco shots I suppose you would say “have appeared” “have been published” or “have been made public” etc.

In this case it was meant to be light hearted, and I still think in the context of what I was trying to do before a pedantic grammar nazi came along “starting to appear” reads better.

IMG_0202.jpeg

Refurbished?

13 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

IMG_0202.jpeg

It is a pic of the nanbrettas for sale, although I did wonder if the lads were having races. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

IMG_0202.jpeg

It was my poor attempt at humour