Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I remember the photo finlo referred to, i think it was a little earlier than the 80s though, but it exists.

Yes 1908 would be a more likely date from memory.  The iMuseum is out of action for some reason, so finding it might be difficult at the moment.  It might not be the whole of what we consider the civil service nowadays either.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

I dunno Dave, t doesn't really matter does it, you'll just invent your own fucking reality and demand everyone listens to you anyway.

Nope.

O am seriously doubting the “fact” that the civil service was 29 people in 1980 asking for some evidence to back it up.

Thats all.

9 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Yes 1908 would be a more likely date from memory.  The iMuseum is out of action for some reason, so finding it might be difficult at the moment.  It might not be the whole of what we consider the civil service nowadays either.

If it goes back to 1908, perhaps the CS then was basically the Governor's staff, probably where the government administration was. The rest of the government machine was probably called something different, like agents or commissioners. 

2 hours ago, finlo said:

Well for starters when they took over Shoprites warehouse ( The DC in Tesco speak) they were too stupid to have sorted a road haulage licence beforehand which confined all the lorries to barracks until they did much panic/groveling to Graylaw ensued (including bringing in UK resources) at vast expense to service the stores finger on the ball not!

They would need to register as an HGV operator in the IoM and their vehicles would need to be tested here and allocated an operator disc. They have to show where their vehicles are kept and that the site has planning permission and that they have a proper maintenance regime in place with a fleet manager. As they will already have all of this in place in the UK, it would probably come as a surprise to find that they need to prove the whole thing over again on the island. Not insurmountable but that's life! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

They would need to register as an HGV operator in the IoM and their vehicles would need to be tested here and allocated an operator disc. They have to show where their vehicles are kept and that the site has planning permission and that they have a proper maintenance regime in place with a fleet manager. As they will already have all of this in place in the UK, it would probably come as a surprise to find that they need to prove the whole thing over again on the island. Not insurmountable but that's life! 

Well at least none of that adds to the cost of doing business on the IOM or the cost of food. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

Nope.

O am seriously doubting the “fact” that the civil service was 29 people in 1980 asking for some evidence to back it up.

Thats all.

There you go Davey boy. You can double your 29 and take the time machine back a little further, but it's still a striking image.

ETA: There have been lots of these threads. Everyone knows what the elephant in the room is.

Edited by woolley
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, woolley said:

There you go Davey boy. You can double your 29 and take the time machine back a little further, but it's still a striking image.

ETA: There have been lots of these threads. Everyone knows what the elephant in the room is.

Thanks

So like I said, the statement that the entire civil service was 29 people in 1980 was total bollocks.

I am unsure why people are even debating it.  Finlo stated something that was clearly complete rubbish and I called him out on it.  

1 minute ago, CrazyDave said:

Thanks

So like I said, the statement that the entire civil service was 29 people in 1980 was total bollocks.

I am unsure why people are even debating it.  Finlo stated something that was clearly complete rubbish and I called him out on it.  

There is a valid underlying point though, even if he did gild the lily to breaking point.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

But at some point your brain must have told you “ no that so obviously cant be right”. “My recollection must be wrong so I won’t make that post”

I wasn't a mile off and the point still stands that it's a major reason that the island is on its arse.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, finlo said:

I never quoted them as hard figures I qualified it with I think and if I recall etc.

I think you might be right, about the photo with 29. Around 1960, but it was Government Office staff, from the wedding cake, not the full civil service across the various boards.

• Thanks 1