Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

A small update on pricing. As I've noted previously, we frequent Tesco both here and away regularly, so we are pretty well placed to watch the prices on the shelves. In the past all items have been the same in the UK and here, with very limited exceptions for bulky items (packs of toilet rolls, kitchen rolls, etc.), alcohol products and a few others. All staple foods have been priced the same.

Having been in both locations over the past couple of weeks, Mrs w has done an analysis of the receipts. Most items appear still to be the same, but she notes there are some minor changes. In all cases, the IOM prices have not risen, she reports, but some UK reductions have not happened here as they used to. Fruit seems to be diverging, for instance. Loose bananas were reduced to 90p per kg across, but still 95p here with other fruit (not all) having similar differentials. Different varieties of bread all seem to have had 5p knocked off UK price recently, but remain at the higher price here. There are some others across grocery items for similar amounts (about 5% mostly).

As I noted, it is minor at the moment, and all Aldi price matches still seem to be maintained. She notes the difference over the full shop, taking in all items varying and those not, would amount to about 2% higher here. I will keep the forum posted with further development as and when.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

25 minutes ago, woolley said:

A small update on pricing. As I've noted previously, we frequent Tesco both here and away regularly, so we are pretty well placed to watch the prices on the shelves. In the past all items have been the same in the UK and here, with very limited exceptions for bulky items (packs of toilet rolls, kitchen rolls, etc.), alcohol products and a few others. All staple foods have been priced the same.

Having been in both locations over the past couple of weeks, Mrs w has done an analysis of the receipts. Most items appear still to be the same, but she notes there are some minor changes. In all cases, the IOM prices have not risen, she reports, but some UK reductions have not happened here as they used to. Fruit seems to be diverging, for instance. Loose bananas were reduced to 90p per kg across, but still 95p here with other fruit (not all) having similar differentials. Different varieties of bread all seem to have had 5p knocked off UK price recently, but remain at the higher price here. There are some others across grocery items for similar amounts (about 5% mostly).

As I noted, it is minor at the moment, and all Aldi price matches still seem to be maintained. She notes the difference over the full shop, taking in all items varying and those not, would amount to about 2% higher here. I will keep the forum posted with further development as and when.

You'd think it would be more difficult to have different prices across a brand computer system across the UK/IOM. The fact it is not seemingly difficult is therefore worrying.

29 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

You'd think it would be more difficult to have different prices across a brand computer system across the UK/IOM. The fact it is not seemingly difficult is therefore worrying.

It's dead easy since bar codes became a thing. Be hard to do every store differently.

50 minutes ago, Hairy Poppins said:

It was apparently in a really bad state of repair and will year longer than they originally thought. 

Any idea when they'll be starting work as the advertised opening date is looming large?

1 minute ago, Hairy Poppins said:

Take longer, not a year longer! F*cking fat fingers of mine lol. 

It might take a few weeks longer but as it's not a DOI project it won't be a year.

You missed the voids. 

• Haha 3