Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

10 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

Talking of monopolies, what about the chemists in Ramsey? Clear seem to be far better than Lloyds were but given the new OTC drive it's not giving much choice is it?

If there isn’t a queue of people to take over the businesses and open new premises, then what’s left is the ones that will. Sometimes a stable system of not too much competition is better than a race to the bottom, them closing or lack of investment due to no profits to re invest 

1 hour ago, Gizo said:

Jeez. Finlo can only shop at the coop and Robinson’s. 

or more than likely he really does shop at Tesco. 

Finlo is a northerner though, so it is a luxury coop down there. Plus an actual butchers (now missing entirely from the south), the excellent Kermellys and a regular farm shop. You could probably live alright in Ramsey without using Tesco or H&B pubs.

• Like 4

Very true. Also bry rads for veg. Other farm shops nearby. 

The real shambles is no choice of food options anywhere south of Tesco Douglas. I can’t find any decent eggs for a start. 

Just now, Gizo said:

Very true. Also bry rads for veg. Other farm shops nearby. 

The real shambles is no choice of food options anywhere south of Tesco Douglas. I can’t find any decent eggs for a start. 

There's Robbo's on Cooil Road, if you like that sort of thing. Or various Co-op's if you can afford their stuff on a weekly basis.

1 minute ago, Gizo said:

The coole girl ones from Ballamodha are pretty good, purple box. S&S normally have them in or you can get them from the farm.

Just now, Hairy Poppins said:

There's Robbo's on Cooil Road, if you like that sort of thing. Or various Co-op's if you can afford their stuff on a weekly basis.

Remarkably I am aware of these options. 
but there is no butcher, fish monger, fresh veg. (Although sandygate do come to PE occasionally) I mean a farm up north has to come to PE. No farm shops, however you can buy stuff at Pooil Vaaish farm but it’s not quite optimal shopping. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gizo said:

but there is no butcher, fish monger, fresh veg. (Although sandygate do come to PE occasionally) I mean a farm up north has to come to PE. No farm shops, however you can buy stuff at Pooil Vaaish farm but it’s not quite optimal shopping. 

PE Commissioners were trying to set up some kind of Farmers Market. 

What about that farm table that used to be just south of St. Marks on the side of the road?

30 minutes ago, Gizo said:

Port St Mary post office also has Pooil Vaaish veg.

17 minutes ago, Hairy Poppins said:

What about that farm table that used to be just south of St. Marks on the side of the road?

It's closer to the Braaid but it not only still exists but has actually got bigger over the last couple of years. 

53 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Finlo is a northerner though, so it is a luxury coop down there. Plus an actual butchers (now missing entirely from the south), the excellent Kermellys and a regular farm shop. You could probably live alright in Ramsey without using Tesco or H&B pubs.

The south does seem to have suffered disproportionately in our fall from grace but I was jumped on for daring to suggest that the island was on its arse mostly self inflicted.

On 1/26/2024 at 12:33 PM, finlo said:

As for the fresh (lol) produce it's nigh on impossible to find anything with a date beyond tomorrow!

On 1/26/2024 at 5:59 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

I do actually agree with Finlo on this but it’s the only justifiable claim he’s made on here.

It's not justifiable. It is utterly untrue as I said last week. He's entitled to his own opinions but not his own alternative facts.

There was some gruesome stuff sold as fresh produce at Shoprite. Tesco was streets ahead of them. Dates are generally good, and the stuff usually stays in good, usable condition well beyond them. The reverse was frequently true at Shoprite.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, woolley said:

It's not justifiable. It is utterly untrue as I said last week. He's entitled to his own opinions but not his own alternative facts.

There was some gruesome stuff sold as fresh produce at Shoprite. Tesco was streets ahead of them. Dates are generally good, and the stuff usually stays in good, usable condition well beyond them. The reverse was frequently true at Shoprite.

Speaking from my experience you are quite right. It's a shame to say it and I wish it twas not true, but ShopRite was crap for veg. Always half rotten when bought. I don't know what Tesco do different but whatever they do they were always better at it.....oh and including the flowers.

3 minutes ago, woolley said:

I’ve bought some fruit today at Shoprite . Yes expensive and already showing signs of wear.

But I have to dsagree with you re Tesco. Their fruit,  veg and salad are incredible short dated, lots on sale which have that days best before date on them. 

3 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I’ve bought some fruit today at Shoprite . Yes expensive and already showing signs of wear.

But I have to dsagree with you re Tesco. Their fruit,  veg and salad are incredible short dated, lots on sale which have that days best before date on them. 

I have never found that at all, unless you go to the reduced section. 

Also, I have just used the last tomato I bought from Tesco the week before last, use by date 22 Jan and still perfectly usable a week later. 

• Like 2