Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I’ve bought some fruit today at Shoprite . Yes expensive and already showing signs of wear.

But I have to dsagree with you re Tesco. Their fruit,  veg and salad are incredible short dated, lots on sale which have that days best before date on them. 

If it had that day's date on it, it's usually heavily discounted - and still better than what would pass as fresh at Shoprite. Example only last Tuesday: Mrs W brought in several punnets of raspberries on date that day, discounted by nearly 50%. We ate the last of them on Friday, still perfect. Shoprite a) you'd be lucky to find raspberries anyway, b) they were often faded sitting on the shelf, c) they were at full price.

• Like 2

It's impossible to do a weekly shop in Tesco as the fruit and vegetables generally have one or two days at best before they're out of date.

Shoprite could be hit and miss, but Tesco are consistently bad in this respect. The discount section is not worth looking in unless you're going to eat the stuff as soon as you get home.

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

I have never found that at all, unless you go to the reduced section. 

Also, I have just used the last tomato I bought from Tesco the week before last, use by date 22 Jan and still perfectly usable a week later. 

Our experience for many years. Regardless of the date, it is very unusual to waste anything from Tesco because it's out of condition. Some people just don't like successful organisations. It's as simple as that.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

It's impossible to do a weekly shop in Tesco as the fruit and vegetables generally have one or two days at best before they're out of date.

Shoprite could be hit and miss, but Tesco are consistently bad in this respect. The discount section is not worth looking in unless you're going to eat the stuff as soon as you get home.

Absolute nonsense, because we've done it for years.

ETA: Just a thought. Maybe give less weight to arbitrary dates printed on the packet and more to your eyes, nose and common sense?

Edited by woolley
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, woolley said:

Absolute nonsense, because we've done it for years.

Good for you. You obviously don't eat the same fruit and veg that we do.

Don't get me wrong, I like Tesco and the range and variety of foods they have, that's why we go there. 

But my honest opinion is that they're shit for fruit and veg and they're nowhere near as cheap as they'd like you to think they are.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Tesco stuff will last many days beyond the sell by date and I tend to judge whether something is good to eat by eye regardless of the date.  I have the heart of a little gem lettuce with a sell by date of 21 Jan that will be fine tomorrow.

The reduced section is good for stocking the freezer.  If pre-sliced onions are reduced, I buy them and put them in the freezer, the same with some other veg.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Tesco stuff will last many days beyond the sell by date and I tend to judge whether something is good to eat by eye regardless of the date.  I have the heart of a little gem lettuce with a sell by date of 21 Jan that will be fine tomorrow.

The reduced section is good for stocking the freezer.  If pre-sliced onions are reduced, I buy them and put them in the freezer, the same with some other veg.  

I agree, shouldn't always go by the date, especially with fruit and veg. A lot of their stuff doesn't look too clever when you're buying it though.

Tesco have their strengths, but their fruit and veg is about the worst on the island IMHO. 

9 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Good for you. You obviously don't eat the same fruit and veg that we do.

Don't get me wrong, I like Tesco and the range and variety of foods they have, that's why we go there. 

But my honest opinion is that they're shit for fruit and veg and they're nowhere near as cheap as they'd like you to think they are.

They're pretty good on price too.

4 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Tesco have their strengths, but their fruit and veg is about the worst on the island IMHO. 

Oh please give over!!! This is cobblers.

ETA: Alright. Having got over the initial shock of reading that, is there somewhere better? M&S on a par, Co-op not quite so good, Robinson's least said.......... Anymore?

Edited by woolley

4 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I agree, shouldn't always go by the date, especially with fruit and veg. A lot of their stuff doesn't look too clever when you're buying it though.

Not sure I agree. In terms of price and longevity, Shoprite (which is really Robinson's) has to be the worst.  Have to say their stuff at Cooil Road looks better and there is the best range of unusual veg on the island. M&S has to be the best for quality, but you pay for it. 

I find Tesco is the best compromise between price and quality.  

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

That's simply not true. 

When are you shopping there? 15 minutes before close?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

ShopRite was crap for veg. Always half rotten when bought. I don't know what Tesco do different but whatever they do they were always better at it.....oh and including the flowers.

i guess tesco don't stock their shelves with robinsons seconds.

It's perhaps best not to critisise the opposition in order to support your favourite supplier?

Times will be when you fall on your face doing that?

All the big supermarkets provide a convenient 'One Shop' outlet, however, they all put pressure on their suppliers to provide as cheap a supply as possible. Not good  for the suppliers who get locked in to the supply it or lose it contract!!!

Sell by dates on fruit and veg!!! You want a 'Nanny State'???

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

ShopRite was crap for veg. Always half rotten when bought. I don't know what Tesco do different but whatever they do they were always better at it.....oh and including the flowers.

Well I hope your wife appreciated the flowers because she sure wouldn't do so of your critisism of her veg buying prowess???

Perhaps she should whack you withe soggy end of the cucumber she was stupid enough to buy!!!

In other words, don't drag your wifes shopping skill down in order to promote your argument!!!

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, woolley said:

If it had that day's date on it, it's usually heavily discounted - and still better than what would pass as fresh at Shoprite. Example only last Tuesday: Mrs W brought in several punnets of raspberries on date that day, discounted by nearly 50%. We ate the last of them on Friday, still perfect. Shoprite a) you'd be lucky to find raspberries anyway, b) they were often faded sitting on the shelf, c) they were at full price.

Well being in Ramsey I find that the Co-op is the best for fruit on freshness and price but Shoprite/ Tesco’s is best for on bread, at least for me.. Each one scores higher than the other depending on what products you are buying.

Unless you are prepared to do a two centre shop,you look at what you have on your shopping list and determine whether in that case the balance swings between the Co op or Shoprite / Tesco

Its a real minefield I tell you.