Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

3 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

2 Tesco's?

St. Paul's Square and Bowring Road. 

May already have even covered here, but it seems Victoria Road is going to have the usual food shop along with a Tesco Cafe, clothing (F&F) and homeware.  That's based on jobs they're currently advertising. 

7 minutes ago, Manxman1234 said:

Little rumour Manx Coop reconsidering their position on island with Tesco expanding. Can Ramsey’ support 2 coop and 2 Tesco?

I'm not sure why they would... there's been no change in the amount of competing supermarkets, the Shoprites are just turning into Tesco stores... having said that the quality of the competition is improving as Tesco is a superior brand to Shoprite. 

Co-op is expensive, I only use them like a convenience store. I couldn't afford to do my weekly shop there all the time. 

• Like 1

You'd be hard pushed to do your ''weekly shop'' in any Co op but for the Ramsey and Crosby outlets but as you say, convenience is where they score!

Are the prices really bad? A bit more but are you going to spread your shopping over several shops to get the lowest prices? Not really worth it is it???

47 minutes ago, Hairy Poppins said:
51 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

2 Tesco's?

St. Paul's Square and Bowring Road

Oh yes. I forgot about the st Paul's square one. I suppose if Ramsey can support 2 shoprites then it can support 2 Tesco's of the same size..

20 minutes ago, Kopek said:

You'd be hard pushed to do your ''weekly shop'' in any Co op but for the Ramsey and Crosby outlets but as you say, convenience is where they score!

Are the prices really bad? A bit more but are you going to spread your shopping over several shops to get the lowest prices? Not really worth it is it???

They're not massively more expensive than Tesco. I would say somewhere between Tesco and the prices of old Shoprite. Still cheaper than Spar however. 

I am surprised Co-op didn't close their small Ramsey store when they took on the old Safeways store. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Hairy Poppins said:

They're not massively more expensive than Tesco. I would say somewhere between Tesco and the prices of old Shoprite. Still cheaper than Spar however. 

I am surprised Co-op didn't close their small Ramsey store when they took on the old Safeways store. 

The small shop is a life saver if there's something needed late at short notice, it's the only outlet left open until 10pm 7 days a week after the bigger stores have closed and is usually busy right up to that time. I reckon it washes its own face.

6 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The small shop is a life saver if there's something needed late at short notice, it's the only outlet left open until 10pm 7 days a week after the bigger stores have closed and is usually busy right up to that time. I reckon it washes its own face.

I suspect you're right. Handy on a Sunday when Tesco closes at 6. 

I wonder if the new Tesco stores will get opening times until 11pm Mon-Sat like Lake Road? 

8 hours ago, Hairy Poppins said:

I suspect you're right. Handy on a Sunday when Tesco closes at 6. 

I wonder if the new Tesco stores will get opening times until 11pm Mon-Sat like Lake Road? 

I think it will depend on the demand. After 9pm the number of shoppers declined rapidly. At Lake Rd it's maybe just about cost effective to stay open. Victoria Rd ShopRite was dead by then so no way it could stay open. 

I reckon there is no market for late hours over and above what we have, but it's just a hunch. 

11 hours ago, Hairy Poppins said:

I'm not sure why they would... there's been no change in the amount of competing supermarkets, the Shoprites are just turning into Tesco stores... having said that the quality of the competition is improving as Tesco is a superior brand to Shoprite. 

when you have 9 shops run by a clueless outfit that are no threat to your business you have no need to consider them ,  when you have 9 shops added to a 10th that knows what they are doing all of a sudden you have a credible threat that you identified in quality and branding.

Edited by WTF
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I think it will depend on the demand. After 9pm the number of shoppers declined rapidly. At Lake Rd it's maybe just about cost effective to stay open. Victoria Rd ShopRite was dead by then so no way it could stay open. 

I reckon there is no market for late hours over and above what we have, but it's just a hunch. 

If you're going to shelf fill at night you might as well stay open, especially if customers are encouraged to self checkout.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I think a lot of Lake Road customers will end up at Victoria Road as better location and larger catchment area around it

22 minutes ago, finlo said:

Correct, they're currently in crisis talks.

Surely this is a bumper time for their Douglas and Castletown stores with the local Shoprites closing?  Now is the time for them to secure their market share/niche in advance of the new Tesco stores opening.

They may be concerned for the longer term, but tbh, if Shoprite was not the competitor that Tesco is, it makes you wonder.  The island has a finite and geographically limited market - it always has had and that is why we have such limited choice of the usual retailer chains. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Surely this is a bumper time for their Douglas and Castletown stores with the local Shoprites closing?  Now is the time for them to secure their market share/niche in advance of the new Tesco stores opening.

They may be concerned for the longer term, but tbh, if Shoprite was not the competitor that Tesco is, it makes you wonder.  The island has a finite and geographically limited market - it always has had and that is why we have such limited choice of the usual retailer chains. 

The issue is the choice will be reduced further as some smaller independents disappear and other chains such as coop evaluate their estate and potentially slim down. Can you see Peel Michael street needing a Tesco and coop? 

5 minutes ago, Manxman1234 said:

The issue is the choice will be reduced further as some smaller independents disappear and other chains such as coop evaluate their estate and potentially slim down. Can you see Peel Michael street needing a Tesco and coop? 

Does it need a Co-op and Shoprite? The point is that this is not increasing the number of supermarket outlets which serve a fixed population, but reducing the number of retailers, still in a fixed market.  What I am not sure about, given the fixed population, is whether Tesco can sustain the number of stores.  Some, you would think, will fail to meet their targets as the additional stores will not increase the market.  It is a finite market of which they already have a major share.  That is a concern, but could be where the Co-op can secure its place. 

Get your point on small independents, but are they in competition with supermarkets anyway? 

At the end of the day, Tesco have not stolen the stores, Shoprite sold out to them and there is no competition law that could intervene, so we are stuck with it.   

From a purely selfish consumer point of view, I welcome the brand, its quality and price.  Not sure what is to be done other than wait and see.  

• Like 4