Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

If you're going to shelf fill at night you might as well stay open, especially if customers are encouraged to self checkout.

To some extent yes. But you need quite a few more staff to be open then you do to be closed with a night team in.

2 hours ago, Manxman1234 said:

I think a lot of Lake Road customers will end up at Victoria Road as better location and larger catchment area around it

Yes. But would they not just be robbing Peter to pay Paul?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

To some extent yes. But you need quite a few more staff to be open then you do to be closed with a night team in.

Yes. But would they not just be robbing Peter to pay Paul?

It might allow them to finally make the improvement and expansion to Lake Road that they've been wanting to do over the years, but thwarted on occasions by Shoprite. 

Once the nine Shoprite stores have been upgraded to Tesco it would be possible to close Lake Road for a while and refurbish it. 

I couldn't see a situation where they would close Lake Road completely as it's the base for their online delivery business. 

3 hours ago, Manxman1234 said:

The issue is the choice will be reduced further as some smaller independents disappear and other chains such as coop evaluate their estate and potentially slim down. Can you see Peel Michael street needing a Tesco and coop? 

Michael street is the first one that's closing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, finlo said:

Michael street is the first one that's closing.

Really wouldn’t surprise me at all,

I would guess Michael street, small one in Ramsey, and potentially Castletown close or see staffing scaled back . Big coop in Ramsey will also have significant impact on sales, which is a shame as not a bad store.

i bet coop regret selling lake road to Tesco and letting them get their foot in the door 

1 minute ago, Manxman1234 said:

I would guess Michael street, small one in Ramsey, and potentially Castletown close or see staffing scaled back . Big coop in Ramsey will also have significant impact on sales, which is a shame as not a bad store.

i bet coop regret selling lake road to Tesco and letting them get their foot in the door 

It's their company policy not to operate next door to a Tesco.

+1 on your other points.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Manxman1234 said:

Castletown Co-op will NOT close or even reduce staff.  Always busy. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, finlo said:

It's their company policy not to operate next door to a Tesco.

+1 on your other points.

That a U.K. policy? 

coop can be expensive although normally good stores over here, so be shame to see some of them go, if they do close or down size 

Castletown Co-op is better than Shoprite/Tesco for parking. Also because it incorporates a post office it gets a lot of footfall from Ballasalla. Plus you have to throw in all the lunchtime trade from Castle Rushen. I think there's room for both

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gladys said:

Some, you would think, will fail to meet their targets as the additional stores will not increase the market.  It is a finite market 

If I were a betting man I'd say they will all fail to meet their targets as they have massively over estimated the market deluding themselves that they can get the same levels of custom as Lake road pro rata.

2 minutes ago, Trueblood said:

Castletown Co-op is better than Shoprite/Tesco for parking. Also because it incorporates a post office it gets a lot of footfall from Ballasalla. Plus you have to throw in all the lunchtime trade from Castle Rushen. I think there's room for both

Wait until Tesco start selling their meal deals across the former Shoprite stores. That will wipe out a lot of co-op trade.

28 minutes ago, Trueblood said:

They also have refrigerated beer.

• Like 1