Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

No, we are talking years before that. I don’t remember Shoprite under thee school playground. It was a DIY store first, I think, before B&Q did for them.

Shoprite was never in there it was Whitestone garage briefly in 1983 as Mercedes got sniffy about sharing showroom space with VW. 

They gave it up when VW went to Corkills.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2005 at 12:41 AM, Busby said:

Don't know about you but I miss the deals you used to get in Safeway's - when a price reduction was a real price reduction not kidology...

No silly card where you can claim 'savings' - just good, honest deals... It makes shopping enjoyable!

Many people have missed the fact that there is still a Safeway/Morison's on the Island - in Ramsey. You can still get some good deals, although they sell out quickly and the staff tell me they are mad busy.

I know its only a matter of time before they pull the plug on such a small store and, sadly it will leave Shoprite and Tesco to live comfortably ever after....

In the mean time, support this small outpost of one of the countries largest food retailers. Who knows, they may change their mind about leaving the Island!

5 minutes ago, finlo said:

Shoprite was never in there it was Whitestone garage briefly in 1983 as Mercedes got sniffy about sharing showroom space with VW. 

Was that a car showrooms at ne point then? Before morisons and Safeway?

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

Celtic Trader was a convenience store with branches around the island, including the upper floor of the building in Onchan Precinct where Norths were downstairs. They were also in what is now the Spar in Anagh Coar. Owned by Alan Burman. Only Shoprite connection was that Shoprite were their landlord in Onchan.

When CT moved out Shoprite moved in. When Norths moved out Shoprite moved in downstairs with non grocery clubmann products.

You missed St Paul's square,  Shoprite did acquire all of their assets but I can't remember why they ceased trading.

10 minutes ago, finlo said:

10 minutes ago, finlo said:

That's it, memory recitfied 👍

12 minutes ago, Manxman1234 said:

Was that a car showrooms at ne point then? Before morisons and Safeway?

Different place. Other side of the car park ramp.

Liptons, Presto, Safeway, Morrisons, Shoprite and the vaccination hub were all under the Chester Street car park..

The DIY place, Mercedes dealership, M&Co were under the playground of St Thomas school. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, finlo said:

You missed St Paul's square,  Shoprite did acquire all of their assets but I can't remember why they ceased trading.

Shoprite certainly didn’t acquire Anag Coar. And, yes, you’re correct, they’re third store was St Paul’s Square.

Think Alan went into recruitment.

7 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Shoprite certainly didn’t acquire Anag Coar. And, yes, you’re correct, they’re third store was St Paul’s Square.

Think Alan went into recruitment.

Not that store no ( I didn't know about that one) but they ended up with several (scrap) vans etc.

Who's was the basic food store at the top of Derby Sq? About where Talbot blinds are now?

Was that a John North outlet?

I remember that but not a lot of the others mentioned here!

Late 60's.

Edited by Kopek