Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

I don't think Shoprite were going out of business at all. What they have done is swap a business which took a lot of running in a difficult and uncertain sector and swapped it for a probably much more profitable and much easier to run business in a much more certain sector with a guaranteed income for the next 21 years.

Quite some achievement really, especially when you consider most of their properties were pretty useless as anything other than supermarkets.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, woolley said:

It will. This is what we are keeping a close eye on as we are often in Tesco both here and in the UK. Hitherto, most items have been the same to the penny. A few differentials are starting to creep in although minimal at the moment and Aldi price matching seems to be being maintained.

Agreed if they start adding a price difference to cover their freight costs it may well soon be the case that the Coop will be offering better value -  anybody else knows differently I think they have the same prices as across . And bear in mind Aldi price match is only for a very limited number of products across the store . 

4 minutes ago, Hairy Poppins said:

I was told they were very much not going to make it beyond the end of this year. Shoprite was very much a failing business that was saved by Tesco.

Maybe we don’t know . Despite what some posters think I was no great fan of Shoprite it was too small to be able to compete effectively. But at the same time I am not sure Tesco will prove to be the ‘knight in shining armour ‘ that a lot of people think it will be -only time will tell.  Personally I think an Aldi somewhere around the Spring Valley estate would sort it all out ! Whether or not the population is big enough for them taking into account the freight costs is another matter . 

14 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I don't think Shoprite were going out of business at all. What they have done is swap a business which took a lot of running in a difficult and uncertain sector and swapped it for a probably much more profitable and much easier to run business in a much more certain sector with a guaranteed income for the next 21 years.

Quite some achievement really, especially when you consider most of their properties were pretty useless as anything other than supermarkets.

The village walk property seems to be fully let out so must be fairly useful income earners, also they own the old Whitestone site in ballasalla which is surrounded by housing so must be very valuable so not all pretty useless!

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

It sells less food.

That's what really surprised me.  I assumed there would be an expansion of ready meals and the like, which you'd think would be the market Expresses were aimed at.  But there's actually only half the freezer space and (if you ignore the chilled booze) considerably less frontage for chilled, though the cabinet design is different so they may hold more.  There's certainly less selection of cheese for example.

There's also a lot of empty shelves at the moment, but I've assumed that's down to half the Island going in to have a skeet and buying a couple of items each.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Is that while they gauge the market? or is that standard Tesco express? given it's the only Tesco in Castletown, seems a bit odd

Someone in an office somewhere, possibly Welwyn Garden City, will have pressed the button 'apply the formula'. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

It sells less food.

It was always going to be the way.

Less choice and higher prices for those who have to use the express stores.  If you can get to a proper Tesco then it probably is a bit better.

I don’t think anyone in Castletown can be surprised?

Just now, CrazyDave said:

Less choice and higher prices for those who have to use the express stores.  If you can get to a proper Tesco then it probably is a bit better.

Do you read your posts back to yourself before you post them and think 'yes, yes that's exactly how I want to sound?'

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

So less choice and higher prices hardly seems like a compelling offer does it ? Maybe the Coop will benefit in Castletown.