Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

5 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Do you read your posts back to yourself before you post them and think 'yes, yes that's exactly how I want to sound?'

What is the issue there?

I hate Tesco.  I have said that all along, but it has also been blatantly clear from day one that this was announced that anyone dependant on an express store was going to be screwed compared to those lucky enough to have access to a proper Tesco.

I have agreed with you for the last page or so, so have no idea how you can disagree with my post.  Its been obvious for months 

3 minutes ago, IOM said:

So less choice and higher prices hardly seems like a compelling offer does it ? Maybe the Coop will benefit in Castletown. 

I hope so.  I love the coop, but their Castletown store is too small and cramped, much like the ones in Port St Mary and Port Erin.

If the south had a coop like the big one in Ramsey it would be a real asset.

Edited by CrazyDave
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Fred the shred said:

This is indeed the danger that Victoria Road may have the same prices on goods as Lake Road but the other smaller stores will become Express and be priced at convenience store levels.    This will be the test of how good and great Tesco will be for the Island.

We have known which are express stores for months.

The real losers here are Castletown, but it’s not a surprise to anyone

Just now, WTF said:

tesco express prices may still be better than shoprite prices for consumers though.

The choice in Shoprite Castletown wasn't great either.  Popped in a few months ago, limited fresh products, so I left. 

16 minutes ago, WTF said:

tesco express prices may still be better than shoprite prices for consumers though.

With the emphasis on the word ‘ may ‘ . Possibly on some selected items and fresh fruit and vegetables but I suspect quite a lot not . 

11 minutes ago, Gladys said:

The choice in Shoprite Castletown wasn't great either.  Popped in a few months ago, limited fresh products, so I left. 

Hence Teapot's surprise.  To be fair the fruit/veg is improved and has a wider range and is a bit cheaper than Shoprite (though now not than the Coop).  But that says more about how dire the previous stuff was and I reckon I'll still be going to Lake Road for better range and cheaper prices.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

This is indeed the danger that Victoria Road may have the same prices on goods as Lake Road but the other smaller stores will become Express and be priced at convenience store levels.    This will be the test of how good and great Tesco will be for the Island.

Some of the Shoprite prices away from Victoria Road were higher too, Winerite was definitely a convenience priced store for example.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Some of the Shoprite prices away from Victoria Road were higher too, Winerite was definitely a convenience priced store for example.

So the one that wasn’t called Shoprite was more expensive?  No shit Sherlock.

None of the rest were.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Hence Teapot's surprise.  

To be clear my surprise is that theyve managed to make it a worse shop when the previous one was so obviously easy to improve. I expected them to do it really well. Of course, Tesco are experts at the game and it'll probably be a resounding success.

Edited by TheTeapot

Just a couple of my own observations, neither supportive of or critical of either Shoprite or Tesco.

1. Shoprite sold to Tesco, presumably without holding any of Shoprite's family hostage.  It was a free transaction. 

2. In its origins, Shoprite followed the Kwik Save model, retailing mainly non-perishable goods from highly stacked shelves with just the front of the boxes cut out.  It was a pile it high, sell it cheap model.  No frills.  That worked at the time, but choice elsewhere broadened and Shoprite had to compete on range, fresh goods etc.  But they just did not have the buying power to compete on price.  They tried many tie-ups with other big retailers, presumably to piggy back on the buying power, but the market probably wasn't sufficient to make it work. 

3. If there are fears for the future of retailers such as the Co-op, it is because, again, Shoprite offered little credible competition in those small town markets. 

4. Succession has been quoted as a motivation for the sale, which is understandable, leaving basically a real estate company for the family with less need for close management and constant market tracking.  Who wouldn't take the option? 

5.  Tesco will introduce well tried models for each of the stores, including the Express and Superstore model.  What else do you expect?   They are not saviours, but a very large commercial operation with a proven track record.  What the consumer can expect, however, is consistency of range and quality.   

I can undersrand, partly, the concerns for the vulnerable in the Express store catchment areas, but are they actually going to be financially worse off with a Tesco Express?  By comparison with similar rural areas in England, I suspect access to Tesco Express for remote areas is likely to be better here.

Sorry for the long post, but let's see how it works out. It is a fait accompli, Shoprite have done the deal without which those smaller stores may have closed completely. 

• Like 2