Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

Just now, Hairy Poppins said:

>1 

<1bn 

Well 500 products will be less than 5% of the range so the vast proportion will not be price matched to Aldi . And you can be sure they price these very differently ! 

1 minute ago, Hairy Poppins said:

I've got some good news for you @Gladys! They're cheaper in Tesco.

£1 each in Shoprite, they're only £0.83 in Tesco. 

Screenshot_20240219_215055_Tesco.jpg

That's £1 for a pack of two in Shoprite. 

For Jarndyce's info, it's for potato salad- new potatoes cooked in their skins, mayo with a small dollop of wholegrain mustard, sliced spring onions and sliced frankfurters.  The normal ones will do, but the fat ones seem to work better with the smokey flavour. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

That's £1 for a pack of two in Shoprite. 

For Jarndyce's info, it's for potato salad- new potatoes cooked in their skins, mayo with a small dollop of wholegrain mustard, sliced spring onions and sliced frankfurters.  The normal ones will do, but the fat ones seem to work better with the smokey flavour. 

Fair enough! An interesting comparison.

Screenshot_20240219_220107_Chrome.jpg

17 hours ago, IOM said:

These are all fair points . However Tesco Express does not have a 15-20% differential in England ( it’s a lot less ) plus they now stock some of the economy ranges over there too . As said in my earlier post I am not sure Tesco will bring the value difference that some people think they will . The only way to be sure of that is to get an Aldi on the island . 

Checked that today. Not sad just happened to need some stuff so purchased in the nearby Express.

Manchester Tesco Superstore £4.75 Tesco Express £5.25 about +10% then I guess a bit of five pence rounding.

Lake Road Tesco £4.75

Can anybody tell us where do the big businesses like Tesco B and Q  M and S  Haldane Fisher   Jacksone   cars  and some of the other Big UK ,  CI ,  registered companies  actually pay their tax and VAT ,  Shoprite   must have been  a significant contributor to the local economy , but it would be interesting to see where the big boys actually pay and weather we are receiving our  full share  ,

10 minutes ago, Kopek said:

The Aldi price match labels in Tesco are.

Great publicity for ALDI !........

....and frustrating for us who can't get the full range?

I’ve always said this . Price match isn’t a good thing, means your following the leaders. Be a leader in pricing is my view lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

Checked that today. Not sad just happened to need some stuff so purchased in the nearby Express.

Manchester Tesco Superstore £4.75 Tesco Express £5.25 about +10% then I guess a bit of five pence rounding.

Lake Road Tesco £4.75

I think it’s a very complex picture. Castletown Express is circa +15% on a standard Tesco store across and roughly +10% on Lake Road  it varies on different products I suspect there is no set formula . Obviously Aldi price matched lines will be the same but we know that they only represent a small proportion of the range . It will be interesting to see how Tesco compare on value to Coop and even M and S on some products when all the conversions are complete . 

2 hours ago, Omobono said:

Can anybody tell us where do the big businesses like Tesco B and Q  M and S  Haldane Fisher   Jacksone   cars  and some of the other Big UK ,  CI ,  registered companies  actually pay their tax and VAT ,  Shoprite   must have been  a significant contributor to the local economy , but it would be interesting to see where the big boys actually pay and weather we are receiving our  full share  ,

Don't Tesco pay VAT generated here to IOMC&E.  Not sure about corporate tax as companies, generally, aren't subject to tax here.