Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

21 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Don't Tesco pay VAT generated here to IOMC&E.  Not sure about corporate tax as companies, generally, aren't subject to tax here. 

Doesn’t matter where the VAT is paid as it’s divvied up in accordance with the VAT and Duty sharing agreement ( FERSA ).

Tax on retail was 10% on profits, generated in IoM, above £500,000. In case of Tesco it already pays, so any profit from ex Shoprite will be taxed. The rate went up to 15% today.  For Tesco, apart from the accountancy, it’s cost neutral. The UK HMRC allows them to set off against UK tax liability. So if Tesco is taxed at 25% in UK on its profits wherever arising, it only pays 10% on its Manx generated profits to the UK because it’s already paid 15% here.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, IOM said:

I think it’s a very complex picture. Castletown Express is circa +15% on a standard Tesco store across and roughly +10% on Lake Road  it varies on different products I suspect there is no set formula . Obviously Aldi price matched lines will be the same but we know that they only represent a small proportion of the range . It will be interesting to see how Tesco compare on value to Coop and even M and S on some products when all the conversions are complete . 

Lake Road is probably nearer to standard store prices across than that.  Some items do differ, but less than 5 years ago.  But I could see than changing.

I don't think Aldi price match is used in any Express stores.  The only thing that will be guaranteed to be the same as Lake Road will be Manx milk as that's fixed price by law.

52 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Lake Road is probably nearer to standard store prices across than that.  Some items do differ, but less than 5 years ago.  But I could see than changing.

I don't think Aldi price match is used in any Express stores.  The only thing that will be guaranteed to be the same as Lake Road will be Manx milk as that's fixed price by law.

I think currently an awful lot of products in Lake Road are 5p more expensive than across . 

3 minutes ago, Hairy Poppins said:

Examples?

Didn't Tesco state that there could / would be a slight surcharge due to higher shipping costs from the motherland to the rock?

3 minutes ago, Hairy Poppins said:

Examples?

Muller corners 95p here 90p across 

Medium eggs 160 versus 150 ( clearly double the 5p) 

Heinz beans 145 versus 140

Tesco bread 80p versus 75p

Jaffa cakes 130 versus 125

You get the idea ! 

• Like 1