Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

8 minutes ago, Kopek said:

In todays news that Aldi plan a massive expansion, new stores and 5000 jobs!

So, time to start another rumour or at lease hope one for us?

I would certainly use Aldi, find their store perfectly adequate.

Their stores are actually very good and their products are good too at exceptional value . As others have suggested it’s unlikely given the size of the population and the competition here but never say never ! 

• Like 1

From a quick Google. Orkney (pop 22k, and not all of them on mainland Orkney) has a Lidl. The Isle of Wight (pop 140k) has two Aldis and two Lidls. Whilst I accept they are not perfectly comparable, that does suggest that modest population + need for a boat should not necessarily be an obstacle to one (or both?) of them operating here.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Kopek said:

The Village Walk unit  was probably left vacant to avoid competition especially in view of the small Shoprite on the site?

In Port Erin  the old Iceland was also left empty, said to be a larger site for the PE Coop to move into but again, competition! Also a vacant lot, wooded, in PE which Shoprite have refused to sell or develop.

So, has there been 'stifling' for some time???

Was that not what shoprite did in Scotland that assisted with their downfall? Renting lots empty properties to keep out competition 

1 hour ago, Yibble said:

From a quick Google. Orkney (pop 22k, and not all of them on mainland Orkney) has a Lidl. The Isle of Wight (pop 140k) has two Aldis and two Lidls. Whilst I accept they are not perfectly comparable, that does suggest that modest population + need for a boat should not necessarily be an obstacle to one (or both?) of them operating here.

Are they not in the same country that those businesses already operate in?

Thats quite a different proposition to coming here 

I'm not aware of what Shoprite did in Scotland.

I was trying to point out that it is not just the big super markets that act in this competition curtailing manner.

Perhaps a small newsagents on N Quay taking a neighbouring property to keep competition away ???

It's more that just Tesco against the World!

The Aldi that I use in east Mch is some 100 meters from a large Tesc, Tesco is obviously busier but the Aldi does OK, so it's not inconceivable that Aldi could consider the IOM to be worth a punt despite the Tesco domination??

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Manxman1234 said:

Apparently lots of asbestos found in Victoria Road , significantly delaying it re opening and apparently Ramsey now pushed back until July/August

Where has that come from?

Victoria Road didn’t look delayed by asbestos when I was in there this afternoon 

Edited by CrazyDave

Just now, CrazyDave said:

Where has that come from?

Victoria Road didn’t look delayed when I was in there this afternoon 

Me neither. They were polishing up the windows and no sign of men in facemasks and white suits. Surely they would have found it right at the start. I'm sure it had a tin roof. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Happier diner said:

Me neither. They were polishing up the windows and no sign of men in facemasks and white suits. Surely they would have found it right at the start. I'm sure it had a tin roof. 

There was loads across the road that held them back a few weeks.

Maybe our misinformed informant is getting confused