Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

4 minutes ago, IOM said:

No I didn’t expect them to lower prices they are doing exactly what I expected. Am not sure some of those that think they are great realise it though ! 

How does adding 5p not make them 'great' for the consumer? Still significantly less than Shoprite were and other alternatives! 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

How does adding 5p not make them 'great' for the consumer? Still significantly less than Shoprite were and other alternatives! 

But that’s were you are somewhat missing the point . Yes less than Shoprite but all those that shopped at Lake Road are now paying 5p more on most items . So great if you are were a Shoprite customer but not great if you shopped at Lake Road . Overall it’s an inflationary effect on the island that’s for sure . 

2 minutes ago, IOM said:

But that’s were you are somewhat missing the point . Yes less than Shoprite but all those that shopped at Lake Road are now paying 5p more on most items . So great if you are were a Shoprite customer but not great if you shopped at Lake Road . Overall it’s an inflationary effect on the island that’s for sure . 

Ah sorry I didn't clock that - so the 5p increase is recent and did not previously apply? A healthcare Shoprite modernisation levy?

Just now, Mercenary said:

Ah sorry I didn't clock that - so the 5p increase is recent and did not previously apply? A healthcare Shoprite modernisation levy?

Correct . It’s basically a tax on Lake Road customers. And guess what more people were shopping at Lake Road than Shoprite ( obviously) so who is the winner the customer or Tesco ? 

9 hours ago, IOM said:

Correct . It’s basically a tax on Lake Road customers. And guess what more people were shopping at Lake Road than Shoprite ( obviously) so who is the winner the customer or Tesco ? 

petrol has gone up recently too , why you associate recent price rises at tesco with tesco taking over the shoprite stores rather than general inflation is a mystery , do you expect  2023 prices to be in place for the next 50 years?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, WTF said:

petrol has gone up recently too , why you associate recent price rises at tesco with tesco taking over the shoprite stores rather than general inflation is a mystery , do you expect  2023 prices to be in place for the next 50 years?

Honestly you really are funny of course I don’t expect 2023 prices forever. I have looked at the current prices in Tesco across and compared them to Tesco Lake Road that’s why ! They used to be exactly the same but now instead they have a 5p premium on a significant number of them ! It’s got nothing to do with petrol or inflation it’s basically an additional island tax . 

Having just been in the new Tesco at Castletown, the improvement over what is was is huge. Also it didn't seem to be noticeably more expensive than Lake Road. Shoprite were years behind the curve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, IOM said:

Honestly you really are funny of course I don’t expect 2023 prices forever. I have looked at the current prices in Tesco across and compared them to Tesco Lake Road that’s why ! They used to be exactly the same but now instead they have a 5p premium on a significant number of them ! It’s got nothing to do with petrol or inflation it’s basically an additional island tax . 

Not surprised given the burden of the heavily indebted racket shipping costs !

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, display name said:

Like the prices that Shoprite had been ripping people off with for years?

I am not defending Shoprite I agree they were more expensive. My point is Tesco have increased the prices at Lake Road so they are now circa 5% higher than Tesco UK since the Tesco acquisition.

8 minutes ago, asitis said:

Having just been in the new Tesco at Castletown, the improvement over what is was is huge. Also it didn't seem to be noticeably more expensive than Lake Road. Shoprite were years behind the curve.

Not my experience at all a lot were considerably higher . White loaf  80p in lake Road 90p in Castletown Heinz beans £1.55 versus £1.45 Highland Spring water £1.20 versus £1.05 and that’s just a selection of a few . If you want to believe they are the same well good for you -you are a perfect customer for them ! 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, asitis said:

Not surprised given the burden of the heavily indebted racket shipping costs !

Of course the shipping costs are significant. My point is Tesco are not the saviours some think they are and they should never have been allowed to become such a big part of the island grocery . If there had been correct legislation is place a more competitive market could have been created. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, IOM said:

Not my experience at all a lot were considerably higher . White loaf  80p in lake Road 90p in Castletown Heinz beans £1.55 versus £1.45 Highland Spring water £1.20 versus £1.05 and that’s just a selection of a few . If you want to believe they are the same well good for you -you are a perfect customer for them ! 

I didn't use the word same at all, I said noticeably and as I don't have time to look at every item it wasn't noticeable.

I should add it was massively cheaper than Shoprite used to be in any case !

Historically much of the anti competitiveness was promulgated by Shoprite, I agree it would be great to have others here but at least Tesco have put the money where their mouth is !

1 minute ago, asitis said:

but at least Tesco have put the money where their mouth is !

I would look at it slightly differently I would say they have put our money in to pay for it ( basically everyone who shops at Lake Road  ) . I agree that Shoprite were in a lot of items expensive so for anyone who previously shopped with them there may be a benefit . A better outcome would have been to encourage Aldi to come here that would have put the cat amongst the pigeons! 

This thread is possibly the dullest I have seen on MF for a while, which made me wonder if we could have a boring topic award, like goal of the season, with special recognition for the most doze-inducing contributors. Off for a kip now as I'm in danger of boring myself.

• Confused 1