Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

1 hour ago, IOM said:

If that’s the case I am not sure how you explain 

Tesco 10% fat mince  £4.90 (UK) £5.15 (island )

Chicken Breasts 650g £4.70 (UK) £4.95 ( island) 

Andrex Toilet rolls 24 £11.75 (UK) £12.35 (island)

Pasta 500g 75p (UK) 80p ( island)

Heinz tomato soup £1.70 (UK) £1.80 ( island ) 

Onken yogurt £1.95( UK) £2.05 ( island) 

Salad Tomatoes £1.50 (UK) £1.60 ( island ) 

Tesco vanilla ice cream £2.65 (UK) £2.80 ( island ) 

And that’s just a few of many it’s easy to compare online ! The differences I have seen vary between 5p and 60p which is why @WTF I estimated the inflationary effect as circa 5% . In fact that may be too low based on what I have looked at . 

Anyway the key point is shop around it’s not as straightforward as it seems ! If you find it helpful good if not then no problem either !! 

Bet it's still cheaper than Shoprite was I think.

We should expect to pay more, the Steam Packet adds considerable cost to transport to the Island compared to any UK shop.

How does the pricing compare to e.g. Tesco in Wick? or Kirkwall on Orkney? Out of interest, can you make that comparison too?

Also - someone please educate me - how does it work if you do an online shop?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, woolley said:

No way. Only on a minority of items. Unless, as I say, this is a recent thing, say from 1st March.

Four items completely random

tesco cheese

2.25 vs 2.15

persik capsules

12.60 vs 12

bords eye chicken

4.10 vs 3.90

Stella Artois

6.55 vs 6.25

2 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

We should expect to pay more, the Steam Packet adds considerable cost to transport to the Island compared to any UK shop.

I think you are right. The takeover could well reduce the rate of inflation on the Island considering that all of Shoprite's former customers will be paying far less.

• Like 1

Just now, CrazyDave said:

Four items completely random

tesco cheese

2.25 vs 2.15

persik capsules

12.60 vs 12

bords eye chicken

4.10 vs 3.90

Stella Artois

6.55 vs 6.25

I selected 35 items this morning all were a minimum of 5p. It’s a lot of products but will exclude Aldi price match and most likely any special offers they are running . 

4 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

How does the pricing compare to e.g. Tesco in Wick? or Kirkwall on Orkney? Out of interest, can you make that comparison too?

Just looked, both on Uk pricing so not paying the IoM premium.

For clarity, prices I am quoting are superstore vs superstore, so Lake Road.

If you look at the express stores the IoM premium is higher again

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

I think yes it will likely be cheaper than Shoprite so anyone previously shopping there may benefit . However a lot of people shop at Lake Road (including all  the online shoppers ) I  doubt they knew they were going to subsidise the Shoprite customers they are the ones that are going to end up out of pocket ! 

6 minutes ago, woolley said:

I think you are right. The takeover could well reduce the rate of inflation on the Island considering that all of Shoprite's former customers will be paying far less.

I doubt it given the high number of people who were shopping in Lake Road ( either instore or online ) . 

3 minutes ago, IOM said:

I  doubt they knew they were going to subsidise the Shoprite customers they are the ones that are going to end up out of pocket ! 

It was the very first thing that occurred to me when I heard about the takeover. Before, I imagine Tesco HQ didn't pay much attention to the IOM and didn't have much idea about the competition they were up against. Now though, they have Shoprite's inner sanctum records open on their desk so they know exactly what they were charging. It's a simple matter for them to adjust.

Up to now (for us at least) it hasn't been so bad, but it's early days.......

Tesco Lake Road has a large quantity of lines that are more expensive than "normal" UK stores. Wine is 30p+ per bottle extra, for instance, unless on offer.

Has anyone tried doing the comparison in prices between Lake Road and, say, Onchan village Shoprite?

Onchan now has a large range of Tesco branded products, which seemed to me to be fairly consistently more expensive.

They seem to be aiming for (at least) Tesco Express pricing for all of the original Shoprite stores.

24 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

No idea to be honest about Wick or Kirkwall . You should be able to do the comparison if you set up a Tesco account with an address on one of these islands . 

Basically the online shop is driven from your home address . It will pick the items available from the nearest picking store ( in this case it’s currently Lake Road ) . The idea is you will only be able to obtain items that are sold in that store  and then it picks the prices from that store if that makes sense . 

2 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

Tesco Lake Road has a large quantity of lines that are more expensive than "normal" UK stores. Wine is 30p+ per bottle extra, for instance, unless on offer.

Has anyone tried doing the comparison in prices between Lake Road and, say, Onchan village Shoprite?

Onchan now has a large range of Tesco branded products, which seemed to me to be fairly consistently more expensive.

They seem to be aiming for (at least) Tesco Express pricing for all of the original Shoprite stores.

You cannot make that comparison at the moment as it is still a Shoprite store ( albeit operated by Tesco ) . However you can compare Castletown to Lake Road and there is another big difference because it’s operating as Tesco Express ( a convenience store ) and therefore has another premium over Lake Road I think it’s between 10-15% higher . 

12 minutes ago, IOM said:

No idea to be honest about Wick or Kirkwall . You should be able to do the comparison if you set up a Tesco account with an address on one of these islands .

They claim to have national pricing across the UK superstores, so should be the same as anywhere else in England/Scotland/Wales.

1 minute ago, woolley said:

They claim to have national pricing across the UK superstores, so should be the same as anywhere else in England/Scotland/Wales.

Yes I suspect that is the case you are right . They can vary the pricing here on the island as it’s not classified as U.K. 

15 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

Yes, but wines were always about that much more than the UK before the Shoprite takeover thing kicked off. Anything of that type we always bring back with us in bulk rather than buy here.