Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

According to a Ramsey staffer the main store will not be converted until after TT as they are concerned about unknown problems in the light of their experience at Victoria Road.

Edited by VikingRaider
  • Like 1

On 3/4/2024 at 12:44 PM, IOM said:

If that’s the case I am not sure how you explain 

Tesco 10% fat mince  £4.90 (UK) £5.15 (island )

Chicken Breasts 650g £4.70 (UK) £4.95 ( island) 

Andrex Toilet rolls 24 £11.75 (UK) £12.35 (island)

Pasta 500g 75p (UK) 80p ( island)

Heinz tomato soup £1.70 (UK) £1.80 ( island ) 

Onken yogurt £1.95( UK) £2.05 ( island) 

Salad Tomatoes £1.50 (UK) £1.60 ( island ) 

Tesco vanilla ice cream £2.65 (UK) £2.80 ( island ) 

And that’s just a few of many it’s easy to compare online ! The differences I have seen vary between 5p and 60p which is why @WTF I estimated the inflationary effect as circa 5% . In fact that may be too low based on what I have looked at . 

Anyway the key point is shop around it’s not as straightforward as it seems ! If you find it helpful good if not then no problem either !! 

My oracle has now been in Lake Road since returning home, so I confronted her again trying to square the circle between her findings and yours. She says that things are gradually changing, but even now there are a lot of things the same here as in the UK. Many of the staple items are Aldi price matches as we've already established, but not all. Some are simply the same here as there. For instance the Tesco flavoured milks (chocolate, banana etc.) £1.00 both here and UK, and hot cross buns normally £1.15 both here and there (although currently on Aldi price match at 99p).

She also advises that you can miss a big factor by only comparing the headline unit prices as you did above. Lots of those are 5% more expensive here if you buy just 1 (for instance the own brand cooked meats, beef, ham, etc. £2.00 UK, and £2.10 IOM), but if you avail of the Clubcard offer you get the UK reduced price (in this case £3.75 for 2). This is quite typical (though not universal) on Clubcard offers, and could account for the discrepancy in comparing your 5% assessment to her 3% ish on a typical shop. Always with the inescapable proviso that it depends entirely on what you buy.

It's difficult to get a proper handle on it because there are some real outliers. The worst she has found is on the own brand Danish ham 340g which is good to keep in the cupboard as a reserve. £2.75 UK but a whopping £3.30 IOM - 20% discrepancy. She walked away from that in high dudgeon so as not to encourage them, but then she prefers the Sainsbury version (even at £3) so normally brings them over in the car anyway.

6 minutes ago, woolley said:

My oracle has now been in Lake Road since returning home, so I confronted her again trying to square the circle between her findings and yours. She says that things are gradually changing, but even now there are a lot of things the same here as in the UK. Many of the staple items are Aldi price matches as we've already established, but not all. Some are simply the same here as there. For instance the Tesco flavoured milks (chocolate, banana etc.) £1.00 both here and UK, and hot cross buns normally £1.15 both here and there (although currently on Aldi price match at 99p).

She also advises that you can miss a big factor by only comparing the headline unit prices as you did above. Lots of those are 5% more expensive here if you buy just 1 (for instance the own brand cooked meats, beef, ham, etc. £2.00 UK, and £2.10 IOM), but if you avail of the Clubcard offer you get the UK reduced price (in this case £3.75 for 2). This is quite typical (though not universal) on Clubcard offers, and could account for the discrepancy in comparing your 5% assessment to her 3% ish on a typical shop. Always with the inescapable proviso that it depends entirely on what you buy.

It's difficult to get a proper handle on it because there are some real outliers. The worst she has found is on the own brand Danish ham 340g which is good to keep in the cupboard as a reserve. £2.75 UK but a whopping £3.30 IOM - 20% discrepancy. She walked away from that in high dudgeon so as not to encourage them, but then she prefers the Sainsbury version (even at £3) so normally brings them over in the car anyway.

Send her into that Castletown one!

Outright fucking theft whats going on there.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Send her into that Castletown one!

Outright fucking theft whats going on there.

I don't think she'd go there, but I can't imagine it's worse than under Shoprite? Sainsbury price + 25-40% in the past.

1 minute ago, woolley said:

I don't think she'd go there, but I can't imagine it's worse than under Shoprite? Sainsbury price + 25-40% in the past.

It's loads worse. The pricing on much of the stock is insane, and keeps going up every time I go in. Items I bought two weeks ago are 40-50p more this week.

I know 'its an express' etc, but its still absolutely disgusting what they've done. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, woolley said:

The worst she has found is on the own brand Danish ham 340g which is good to keep in the cupboard as a reserve. 

I suppose it must complement the English gammon she keeps in the sack. 

Edited by La Colombe
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

It's loads worse. The pricing on much of the stock is insane, and keeps going up every time I go in. Items I bought two weeks ago are 40-50p more this week.

I know 'its an express' etc, but its still absolutely disgusting what they've done. 

Have no information on it, so I can't really comment. Vote with your feet, I guess.

1 hour ago, woolley said:

I am not sure why you keep trying to claim something isn’t the case, when it very clearly is and is very quickly and easily demonstrated using the app to compare prices in hundreds of different stores.

Name something that is the same price here as in the Uk?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, woolley said:

Have no information on it, so I can't really comment. Vote with your feet, I guess.

The pricing in Castletown is absolutely shocking . An example would be little apple pies £1.29 in Lake Road £1.60 in Castletown that’s a 24% premium . And Mr Kipling £3.55 versus £3.10 that’s a 15% premium. I just don’t get what Tesco bring no Andreas sausages or meat no Manx meat higher prices etc etc . I know people complain about the government and increased taxes but it’s nothing in comparison to this . The island needs more competition and fast I think there is a big problem brewing here . 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IOM said:

The pricing in Castletown is absolutely shocking . An example would be little apple pies £1.29 in Lake Road £1.60 in Castletown that’s a 24% premium . And Mr Kipling £3.55 versus £3.10 that’s a 15% premium. I just don’t get what Tesco bring no Andreas sausages or meat no Manx meat higher prices etc etc . I know people complain about the government and increased taxes but it’s nothing in comparison to this . The island needs more competition and fast I think there is a big problem brewing here . 

Still sticking with Castletown Co-op

10 minutes ago, IOM said:

There is the Co-op but really Tesco have acquired a monopoly on the island.

Just now, forestboy said:

Still sticking with Castletown Co-op

Yes I went in there and compared some of the prices to the Tesco Express and they were cheaper on a quite a few . As I have posted previously if you have the time it’s worth shopping around don’t believe the marketing hype of Tesco it’s all smoke and mirrors ! 

1 minute ago, prism10 said:

There is the Co-op but really Tesco have acquired a monopoly on the island.

Yes and the government let it happen because they did not have the legislation in place . Not even any checks on them to ensure they pegged themselves to a fixed percentage to across so they have license to do whatever they like . All those who think they are the big “saviours “will soon find out !