Another MHK not interested in alternative views

Cueey Lewis And The News

Could be worse, she could be profiteering from it, like our favourite poster Josem, with his Israel and Manx solidarity pins!

He says they're being distributed at below cost. Given his track record with transparency you'll forgive me if I find that hard to believe.

Edited by jackwhite

2 hours ago, cissolt said:

There have been quite a few people sacked for using a phrase that Jewish people find offensive. shaky ground for a manx politician.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-case-for-prosecuting-from-the-river-to-the-sea/

Screenshot_2023-11-06-08-52-52-36_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Ms Faragher shows extremely poor judgement making such posts. While she considers the statement not to be a terrorist chant the Jewish people and others consider the same chant to be for the eradication of Israel. People are entitled to a difference of opinion but to make such a statement when there is 24/7 wall to wall news coverage suggesting such a chant can be considered anti-Semitic is not appropriate. Her credibility as an elected representative must be called into question by her constituents.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, WTF said:

i'm not so sure , alfie wants 15000 new residents, we could easily get 1000000 new residents if we invite a few muslims to move house 

That adds nothing to the argument, that's just Daily-Mail-Reader scaremongering drawing on racism. You're forgetting we already have a substantial Muslim population here. This isn't 1970.      

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Manx Resident said:

Ms Faragher shows extremely poor judgement making such posts. While she considers the statement not to be a terrorist chant the Jewish people and others consider the same chant to be for the eradication of Israel. People are entitled to a difference of opinion but to make such a statement when there is 24/7 wall to wall news coverage suggesting such a chant can be considered anti-Semitic is not appropriate. Her credibility as an elected representative must be called into question by her constituents.

I totally agree. She's not a welfare officer in a student union, she's a senior elected representative. Choosing to back such an absolutist slogan is staggering. Where do the Jewish community (who originate from the region, and have lived there for thousands of years) belong in that scenario ? It's clearly a call for erasure. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

That adds nothing to the argument, that's just Daily-Mail-Reader scaremongering drawing on racism. You're forgetting we already have a substantial Muslim population here. This isn't 1970.      

nothing to do with race , just people who probably need a new home , i thought we wanted those?

2 minutes ago, WTF said:

nothing to do with race , just people who probably need a new home , i thought we wanted those?

Um, so where does your point about "muslims" fit in if it's nothing to do with race ?

Is this what you are trying to say ?

"i'm not so sure , alfie wants 15000 new residents, we could easily get 1000000 new residents if we invite a few people to move house" 

On 10/29/2023 at 12:21 AM, Gladys said:

Of course there will, but if the work permit system is there or not, they will still operate in that way.  If people are being trafficked, the trafficker is hardly likely to apply for work permits. 

Actually, if what I hear is correct, that's exactly what's happening. Permits are being applied for, granted and then the "employee" only works for the company for about a month and then is "let" out to other "employers" at rates substantially less than even the minimum wage, let alone a living wage. IOMG is aware of this.

2 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

Um, so where does your point about "muslims" fit in if it's nothing to do with race ?

Is this what you are trying to say ?

"i'm not so sure , alfie wants 15000 new residents, we could easily get 1000000 new residents if we invite a few people to move house" 

i was just identifying a group of people that seemed to be connected to joneys topic of distraction,  any people will do as you have kindly shown in your edited quote of my original post.  well, any younger people that would actually work and contribute rather than tight as fuck pensioners wanting to take take take and further block up the NHS with their geriatric ailments and needs.  

9 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Actually, if what I hear is correct, that's exactly what's happening. Permits are being applied for, granted and then the "employee" only works for the company for about a month and then is "let" out to other "employers" at rates substantially less than even the minimum wage, let alone a living wage. IOMG is aware of this.

Generally, or particular industries?

28 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

I totally agree. She's not a welfare officer in a student union, she's a senior elected representative. Choosing to back such an absolutist slogan is staggering. Where do the Jewish community (who originate from the region, and have lived there for thousands of years) belong in that scenario ? It's clearly a call for erasure. 

Depends what the "free"dom is. Freedom to live in their homeland with equal rights? Good. Freedom from Israel? Bad.

There's lots of commentary from Jewish people on Twitter who have no problem with the phrase, and lots from those who do. It's likely a good idea to choose a different phrase but I'm not in charge of optics for the pro-Palestine rallies.

• Like 1