Another MHK not interested in alternative views

Cueey Lewis And The News

4 hours ago, The Bastard said:

It seems a very studenty, binary perspective - a side has been chosen and the other side is demonised, and  ridiculous language used about "being on the right side of history" whilst ignoring the deaths of 1,500 in outrageous terrorist attacks on civilians. My side good, other side bad.

Unfortunately, the history and politics of Israel and Palestine are far more complex than she thinks, and there are clearly a lot of issues that don't make it past her own confirmation bias.

Part of the good thing about democracy is having some stirrers and shakers that upset the applecart and bring in new perspectives. It's pretty rare on the staid, conservative, pipe-and-slippers IOM, but the thing to note is that it's OK to express alternative opinions. It doesn't mean they have to be adopted. 

That being said, the prospect of a tiny town-council-sized government wading into middle east politics is ridiculous, an exercise in virtue-signaling. Whenever things like this are considered, the main focus should be on the benefits for the IOM. Nothing good for the IOM  will come of blundering into a complex multi-national conflict based on some naive student-union outrage.

You lost me after the words “she thinks”. Her very limited knowledge of the situation makes her look like a silly “chanty” girl. As others have said, concentrate on the problems nearer to home 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Manx Resident said:

Ms Faragher shows extremely poor judgement making such posts. While she considers the statement not to be a terrorist chant the Jewish people and others consider the same chant to be for the eradication of Israel. People are entitled to a difference of opinion but to make such a statement when there is 24/7 wall to wall news coverage suggesting such a chant can be considered anti-Semitic is not appropriate. Her credibility as an elected representative must be called into question by her constituents.

Getting on for 10,000 people dead in Gaza, most innocent civilians.

Both sides are terrorists, it's as simple as that.

I think she's just pointing that out and distancing herself from the standard Western rhetoric that Hamas are terrorists and Israel are merely defending themselves.

Anyone with half a brain would agree with her.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Getting on for 10,000 people dead in Gaza, most innocent civilians.

Both sides are terrorists, it's as simple as that.

I think she's just pointing that out and distancing herself from the standard Western rhetoric that Hamas are terrorists and Israel are merely defending themselves.

Anyone with half a brain would agree with her.

My comment was about the exercise of judgement by Ms Faragher in making reference to a particular statement and made no comment on the political or humanitarian issues. It is good to know you have half a brain.

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

You lost me after the words “she thinks”. Her very limited knowledge of the situation makes her look like a silly “chanty” girl. As others have said, concentrate on the problems nearer to home 

Yes, it's terrible when these silly girls start thinking and having opinions.   

She did a post graduate thesis on the causes of the holocaust and how it was 'allowed' to happen, so quite knowledgeable of the factors applying to this situation.  I listened to part of the programme yesterday and she came across well.  Perhapsdahe should have stuck to her favourite recipe for apple crumble.  

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

She's just following the Labour party line, a line that does not fit with the island's business model, politics or culture...as demonstrated by the few Labour candidates that scraped in by only a few hundred votes (or less). Labour probably only represents around 5% of the electorate here.

It's a complex, dangerous and divisive topic for an island politician here to get involved with...and as a result she'll probably pay the price for it in terms of votes next time.

Sometimes it's better to say nothing rather than something here.

Especially if you haven’t got anything useful to say. Mind you, there are a few MHKs who are as quiet as the parochial church mouse. 

5 hours ago, jackwhite said:

Could be worse, she could be profiteering from it, like our favourite poster Josem, with hisa

He says they're being distributed at below cost. Given his track record with transparency you'll forgive me if I find that hard to believe.

This is all just so 'on brand' for Josem, I assumed you'd made it up.  You didn't:

image.png.49e97bcaca43d5f6854ed94b163f86a9.png

He never disappoints.

16 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Mind you, there are a few MHKs who are as quiet as the parochial church mouse. 

Ann Corlett I bet nobody in Douglas even got to see her ghost at Halloween.