Another MHK not interested in alternative views

Cueey Lewis And The News

16 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Think it's more about what you say when you do speak. It would be great for Israel and Palestine to have a ceasefire surely that's just common sense, does it really need some insignificant "politician" on the Isle of Man to say it? 

I quite like to know which politicians weren't really bothered about thousands of dead kids when it comes to voting time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, thommo2010 said:

I personally would like the mhks to sort the many issues on this Island before getting involved in an issue that's been going on for god knows how many years

I agree - but expressing an opinion on social media is a long way from IOMG getting involved.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Is that a question you ask the candidates at the time of election? 

Never really seen it mentioned in any manifestos

No, which is why it's helpful that they sometimes express opinions despite it resulting in a dozen whining pages on a forum afterwards.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

I don't think she thinks she, Alf or the collective IOMG can influence, but her point is to 'put our flag in the sand' and I agree.  However, Alf has refused her request because we cannot interfere in the UK's international affairs.  That's fine, but it still should not stop us from expressing a collective opinion, if it is the collective opinion of IOMG.  She did say that Jersey officially objected to the Gulf War in the early 2000s.

Is it fine though? We pay them handsomely to look after our international affairs, should we not be entitled to at least have an opinion?

Good on Jersey for having the balls to stand up and be counted.

I really am dismayed by our government sometimes. They're the first to bang on about what a global player we are when it comes to facilitating the rich paying less tax, publicly signing international agreements left right and centre.

When it comes to showing a bit of humanity though, they sing a different tune and hide behind our archaic constitutional arrangements with the UK. We need to stop walking by on the other side in relation to this sort of thing and stand up and publicly condemn both sides of this horrific war, regardless of the UK's position.

Who was it that said the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best is the wrong thing and the worst thing is nothing?

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Is it fine though? We pay them handsomely to look after our international affairs, should we not be entitled to at least have an opinion?

I really am dismayed by our government sometimes. They're the first to bang on about what a global player we are when it comes to facilitating the rich paying less tax, publicly signing international agreements left right and centre.

When it comes to showing a bit of humanity though, they sing a different tune and hide behind our archaic constitutional arrangements with the UK. We need to stop walking by on the other side in relation to this sort of thing and stand up and publicly condemn both sides of this horrific war, regardless of the UK's position.

Who was it that said the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best is the wrong thing and the worst thing is nothing?

I did say it should not prevent a collective opinion being voiced.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

An interesting view - and unusual on MF!  The cynics and critics on here want to have their cake and eat it: criticising IOMG for doing and saying nothing; then criticising them again if they get “above their station” and forget how ineffectual they are on the world stage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1