Estonian ambassador visit

CrazyDave

Is anyone meeting his dude when he visits in November?  I wonder which local businesses will benefit from doing more trade with Estonia?

The Ambassador’s stated interests for the visit are: digital health, digital industry, defence industry, timber, ed tech.”

Its a nice proactive thing and I wonder who had the foresight to instigate it?  More of the same please

Let the moaning and negativity commence!

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Is anyone meeting his dude when he visits in November?  I wonder which local businesses will benefit from doing more trade with Estonia?

The Ambassador’s stated interests for the visit are: digital health, digital industry, defence industry, timber, ed tech.”

Its a nice proactive thing and I wonder who had the foresight to instigate it?  More of the same please

There are many Baltic nationals living here, Estonians, Lithuanian and Latvians. The come here and will do outreach work, renewing passports etc. 

El Presidente no doubt will put on his robes, and pretend to look important. 

he no doubt will be met by representatives of the steam packet who are probably the biggest employers of Estonians and Latvians  on the Island  perhaps we can have a reciprocal agreement on work permits  or an agreement on the import of Herring for our kipper industry straight from the baltic  

its always  good to get another persons  slant on  the island  they are a young country  and don't have the trappings  of the British colonial  system and 1000 years of bullshit  Graft     and incompetence   to reflect on  like we have , 

they are light years ahead of us in IT and communications ! and we should  be Listening  to what  he has to say  and not  bore him  with the usual 2112 quote dick waving 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

I've actually had a bit of tech business that has had to choose between Estonia and the Isle to set-up in.  There are a remarkable number of parallels to the business we're both going after and our offerings.  As a point for here, I always told them that the likelihood of Russia invading the Isle was pretty small (this was before Ukraine). 

6 hours ago, 2112 said:

There are many Baltic nationals living here, Estonians, Lithuanian and Latvians. The come here and will do outreach work, renewing passports etc. 

Less than you think.  The Census gives only 241 resident from Northern Europe and that comprises:

Åland Denmark  Estonia  Faroe Islands  Finland  Iceland  Latvia  Lithuania  Norway Sweden

It's possible that we have a higher number of Estonians than you might expect from the rest of the UK, but otherwise I can't see it being that many.

3 hours ago, Omobono said:

Estonians and Latvians  on the Island  perhaps we can have a reciprocal agreement on work permits  

We did, it was called the EU, before we let the British undemocratically remove us from it. Now we can't visit for more than three months without a visa or vice versa ( lots of V's).

If we want to play at international politics the first thing we should do is look at our constitional relationship with the UK and remove the colonial thumb we are under.

A constitution should work for the people it serves and be up to date and relevant.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The Phantom said:

I've actually had a bit of tech business that has had to choose between Estonia and the Isle to set-up in.  There are a remarkable number of parallels to the business we're both going after and our offerings.  As a point for here, I always told them that the likelihood of Russia invading the Isle was pretty small (this was before Ukraine). 

Yeah, yeah, no threat from within.

There are no Rushens in Castletown. Naive fool.

Edited by Hoops

12 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

We did, it was called the EU, before we let the British undemocratically remove us from it. Now we can't visit for more than three months without a visa or vice versa ( lots of V's).

If we want to play at international politics the first thing we should do is look at our constitional relationship with the UK and remove the colonial thumb we are under.

A constitution should work for the people it serves and be up to date and relevant.

I think if we had voted on that issue, we'd have got the same response (Which is why, imo, our 'leaders' didn't give us a vote).

I'd love to see more local voting initiatives, referenda etc.

If they went my way!!

Just now, Hoops said:

I think if we had voted on that issue, we'd have got the same response (Which is why, imo, our 'leaders' didn't give us a vote).

I'd love to see more local voting initiatives, referenda etc.

If they went my way!!

But we were never a member of the EU were we?  So, there was nothing to vote on.  Our status in the EU was under Protocol 3 (IIRC) which was a kind of recognition under the main membership of the UK.  So, the UK leaves, any status for us under Protocol 3 disappears too.  We could not remain with any standing without the UK remaining.  

Or, at least that is how I understand it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Less than you think.  The Census gives only 241 resident from Northern Europe and that comprises:

Åland Denmark  Estonia  Faroe Islands  Finland  Iceland  Latvia  Lithuania  Norway Sweden

It's possible that we have a higher number of Estonians than you might expect from the rest of the UK, but otherwise I can't see it being that many.

problem is with our census by the time they publish it the figures can be way out of date  and 10 years is far too long to wait for another , governments economic division is a shadow of its former self and very little is being done to closely monitor lots of  important   population and economic issues happening in our community , 

and dare I say it some ministers and civil servants  don't want you to know either 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1