Is there something in the water supply

Fred the shred

I wonder if something has got in the water supply that is making people so confrontational and sounding off about nothing in particular I am sure that contributors  in the past  were more reasonable and although not always or even very infrequently agreeing with members having different views to their own it was conducted in a more civilised atmosphere the name calling is unnecessary and I think discourages people to debate which is really what a forum is about.

1 hour ago, Fred the shred said:

I wonder if something has got in the water supply that is making people so confrontational and sounding off about nothing in particular I am sure that contributors  in the past  were more reasonable and although not always or even very infrequently agreeing with members having different views to their own it was conducted in a more civilised atmosphere the name calling is unnecessary and I think discourages people to debate which is really what a forum is about

I think it’s fair to say that it’s made me “consider my position” recently.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Still, it's upsetting for some souls.

Speaking only for myself: if I’m on top of my game, I can fight back or ignore the idiots quite happily.  Sometimes one has other stuff going on IRL and you just think “sod this for a game of soldiers - I don’t need this”.   It’s a shame, of course, because that kind of attrition gradually leads to a forum consisting only of the angriest, shoutiest, most self - absorbed posters - because everyone interested in other people, in genuine discourse and debate, will have been squeezed out.

Hey ho…

• Like 7

On 10/16/2023 at 9:38 PM, Fred the shred said:

I wonder if something has got in the water supply that is making people so confrontational and sounding off about nothing in particular I am sure that contributors  in the past  were more reasonable and although not always or even very infrequently agreeing with members having different views to their own it was conducted in a more civilised atmosphere the name calling is unnecessary and I think discourages people to debate which is really what a forum is about.

Really it seems much quieter on here in terms of arguments than it’s been in ages.