Worst government in 40 years?

Cueey Lewis And The News

So days Alastair Ramsey ..

https://www.manxradio.com/podcasts/agenda/episode/agenda-16-10-23-political-commentator-alastair-ramsay-lets-rip-on-his-deep-concerns-over-the-lack-of-due-process-being-followed-by-a-government-he-describes-as-the-worst-in-40-years/

Whilst I agree with him (that this government and most of the MHKs in it are literally terrible) I can see the issue with the wind farm as the best place for it is going to be nowhere according to anyone who lives nearby to wherever it’s proposed. And every local MHK is going to disagree with where it’s going because every resident and environmental freak will be on the phone and emailing them that it can’t possibly go here and I won’t vote for you again if you support this. So if we want renewable energy it’s probably going to have to be done this way otherwise it’s going to end up nowhere.

Even daft Daphne, who is responsible for our climate change action plan, doesn’t seem to want the wind farm where it’s been proposed to site the wind farm as some frogs might die so it is probably best taken out of Tynwalds hands if it’s already been deemed essential (by Daphne and the climate change board) that we have to have one. 

• Like 7

Ineffectual, and certainly the most sidelined government, by the Island's real agenda setters and decision makers. Looking at the current talent in Tynwald, for once I don't blame them. The daft windfarm project (Daphne's Folly) tells you all you need to know, and does anyone really trust Allinson as Treasury Minister ?

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

So days Alastair Ramsey ..

https://www.manxradio.com/podcasts/agenda/episode/agenda-16-10-23-political-commentator-alastair-ramsay-lets-rip-on-his-deep-concerns-over-the-lack-of-due-process-being-followed-by-a-government-he-describes-as-the-worst-in-40-years/

Whilst I agree with him (that this government and most of the MHKs in it are literally terrible) I can see the issue with the wind farm as the best place for it is going to be nowhere according to anyone who lives nearby to wherever it’s proposed. And every local MHK is going to disagree with where it’s going because every resident and environmental freak will be on the phone and emailing them that it can’t possibly go here and I won’t vote for you again if you support this. So if we want renewable energy it’s probably going to have to be done this way otherwise it’s going to end up nowhere.

Even daft Daphne, who is responsible for our climate change action plan, doesn’t seem to want the wind farm where it’s been proposed to site the wind farm as some frogs might die so it is probably best taken out of Tynwalds hands if it’s already been deemed essential (by Daphne and the climate change board) that we have to have one. 

On this I know he's right:

Is Alastair right in suggesting Tynwald is not up to the job of holding government to account?

• Like 4

Zzzz. If you search "worst government" on this forum you will find posts saying the current administration is the worst ever dating back to 2005. Quite pathetic really, if you can do better, why don't you stand yourself instead of sniping at those people that do put themselves out there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Ineffectual, and certainly the most sidelined government, by the Island's real agenda setters and decision makers. Looking at the current talent in Tynwald, for once I don't blame them. The daft windfarm project (Daphne's Folly) tells you all you need to know, and does anyone really trust Allinson as Treasury Minister ?

Building a windmill to provide power to a windy island, totally mental init.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Venus said:

Zzzz. If you search "worst government" on this forum you will find posts saying the current administration is the worst ever dating back to 2005. Quite pathetic really, if you can do better, why don't you stand yourself instead of sniping at those people that do put themselves out there.

It's because each successive government is worse than the last and every time we think we've hit the bottom of the barrel, we discover yet another layer of dross.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

53 minutes ago, Venus said:

It's nothing personal. It's just the political reality. If you're one of them then perhaps you're doing your best, and good for you. I genuinely mean that. That's not however a measure of quality or ability in an elected assembly. Surely you understand that ? It's certainly the way many people feel, rightly or wrongly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Zarley said:

we discover yet another layer of dross

........that is unquestioningly voted for by the GMP.

The Island appears to be running on inertia at the moment that will surely decay with time. Indeed, it is sometimes hard to realise on a day-to-day basis that there is a 'government' or as I've always referred to it as 'parish council' for it is that administrative level that equates to the ability and caliber of this and several previous regimes.  I concede that I am possibly being unfair to many parish councils.

There is no aim or objective, no vision or ambition, no 'big picture' being offered by any 'politician'; therefore, without, for example, a 10 year plan, momentum will approach zero - and we'll all topple into the Irish Sea without trace.

Edited by Utah 01
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Venus said:

Lunch break from the keys? I think we can you rule out Ann Corlett.  Rob perhaps? Or Walter Mitty MBE?

Regardless of the abilities of the various MHK’s /MLC’s my main issue is with the decreasingly lack of transparency in so many areas. The bunker mentality and it seems Cabinet office are not even informing other MHK’s and the likes about what they have decided. Many times news released has been to the amazement of none Cabinet members. This ,regardless of ability of members , is totally undemocratic and then they wonder why lots of us are apathetic and negative of Government . In my view and said this many times the most important post in Government is the Chief Minister. Sadly the one we have , for whatever reason , is lacking in so many ways. He’s not helped by the quality of many below him but sooner his reign is over the better. Before that though the whole setup needs sorted as in my view we are in a mess on many counts. 

• Like 3