Worst government in 40 years?

Cueey Lewis And The News

On 10/17/2023 at 3:48 PM, Declan said:

noob - we've been saying that since Beemanx.

Only because it was the dawn of social media. Prior to that the "worst government ever" line was regularly propagated on Mannin Line. "The ministerial system is the biggest disaster ever." etc. No doubt, it was the letters columns in the papers before that. Nothing new. It does feel like they get worserer and worserer with each election though.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Cambon said:

Problem with a wind farm in the south is lack of infrastructure in every possible way. On top of which nobody down south wants it. However, the biggest problem is the island cannot afford it. The whole idea needs to be kicked into touch! 

There is more infrastructure down south than there is up north, in terms of links back into the grid anyway.

MUA if you ask them will say that the North in Beide is the best spot for solar, but getting the power generate up there back into the system makes it impractical.

9 minutes ago, woolley said:

Nothing new. It does feel like they get worserer and worserer with each election though.

Very true, but to be fair the whole world has become more and more complex and demanding over how things used to be in say, the 60's, 70's and even the 80's and 90's. We had steady income streams from various sources but with a shrinking world, we have become less relevant in many areas. 

It takes strong, ambitious and insightful politicians who take no nonsense from the CS to do anything on this island, and they are becoming harder to find as the task becomes greater.  

• Like 3

On 10/17/2023 at 11:09 AM, Venus said:

Zzzz. If you search "worst government" on this forum you will find posts saying the current administration is the worst ever dating back to 2005. Quite pathetic really, if you can do better, why don't you stand yourself instead of sniping at those people that do put themselves out there.

Unless you find another 23 people on the same page, even if you were elected it would be futile 

1 hour ago, woolley said:

Don't agree with much of Blade Runner's outpourings nowadays, but he isn't too far wide of the mark with this. The UK has a democratic deficit too. Most places do, of course, but we have a much bigger one. We have home rule effectively, but we can't deviate too far from a template developed in London. We can't start doing stuff they strongly disapprove of. CIs are the same. It's not such a bad place to be, and there are far worse options, but we should acknowledge our limitations.

That last sentence.

This is what it needs. Scale back the hubris, and hollow ambition. Cut back unnecessary departments. Cancel overly ambitious and costly policy like the green stuff. Focus solely on doing the basics well.

I was talking about this last night. The consensus is that the IOM talks a good fight, but is institutionally resistant to change. That is why nothing improves over time.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

There is more infrastructure down south than there is up north, in terms of links back into the grid anyway.

MUA if you ask them will say that the North in Beide is the best spot for solar, but getting the power generate up there back into the system makes it impractical.

Problem in the South with connectivity is that should the privately funded solar farm in Malew go ahead, which it hopefully will, then the extra capability currently available will no longer exist. So it comes down to the government having to decide whether to waste €100,000,000+ of money we cannot afford on the wind farm, or let someone else pay for a solar farm where everyone still benefits? 
But connectivity is only part of the infrastructure issue, and not the expensive part. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, woolley said:

Only because it was the dawn of social media. Prior to that the "worst government ever" line was regularly propagated on Mannin Line. "The ministerial system is the biggest disaster ever." etc. No doubt, it was the letters columns in the papers before that. Nothing new. It does feel like they get worserer and worserer with each election though.

It was worse whenthey elected themselves ...

https://www.imuseum.im/Olive/APA/IsleofMan/SharedView.Article.aspx?href=IMT%2F1952%2F02%2F09&id=Ar00420&sk=3B0FAE46&viewMode=image

• Like 1

Spoke to a person who was walking a dog that told him that another dog owner had told him that the information that he was going to pass on was legit, as he heard a friend of a friend talking about it.

Apparently the CM and his friend, was in deep discussions with a very, very rich person on the island last week at this persons home.

I don't know if its connected, but saying what I heard - It also seems that the CM did not sign agreements with something called the GR and GIA and therefore the rumour goes that the Government might be in a pickle and defunded?

(For an uncertain clarity - I haven't a clue what the above means and couldn't tell you where or how it might fit into something - if at all, but I walked the dog elsewhere) 😀

Edited by Sign in

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

Unless you find another 23 people on the same page, even if you were elected it would be futile 

That last sentence.

This is what it needs. Scale back the hubris, and hollow ambition. Cut back unnecessary departments. Cancel overly ambitious and costly policy like the green stuff. Focus solely on doing the basics well.

I was talking about this last night. The consensus is that the IOM talks a good fight, but is institutionally resistant to change. That is why nothing improves over time.

All this talk about change. Change, isn’t necessarily progress.

We could start by defining whatever this desired 'change' might amount to.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, quilp said:

All this talk about change. Change, isn’t necessarily progress.

We could start by defining whatever this desired 'change' might amount to.

"This is what it needs. Scale back the hubris, and hollow ambition. Cut back unnecessary departments. Cancel overly ambitious and costly policy like the green st uff. Focus solely on doing the basics well."

So yes, I had defined it

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

"This is what it needs. Scale back the hubris, and hollow ambition. Cut back unnecessary departments. Cancel overly ambitious and costly policy like the green st uff. Focus solely on doing the basics well."

So yes, I had defined it

Yes, and I agreed wholeheartedly with your post, but it's not something that hasn’t been being said on here and elsewhere for years.

Not getting my point across very well and now I can't be arsed 😔

On 10/18/2023 at 6:56 PM, Derek Flint said:

This is what it needs. Scale back the hubris, and hollow ambition. Cut back unnecessary departments. Cancel overly ambitious and costly policy

So, cancel the elections and just appoint a Keys and Legco AND WE WILL ALL BE HAPPY FORE ever more???🤣

30 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Am I wrong in thinking we need a CS cull, problem is it will take a large axe to cut out the dead wood

The issue is that the CS control access to the axe. And our sham democracy has also allowed it to become blunt.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2