Another external appointment

Banker

6 hours ago, Utah 01 said:

...........and it looks as if  we're doing the same with this non-job.  He's never done a real job in his life but my ghod, he must be a champion at bullshit bingo.  Our problem is that our CS is rammed to the gunnels with similar non-entities, all licking each others nether-regions.

That’s so refreshing to read! It’s not just government, the majority of offices I’ve worked in have had managers who are bullies, senior admins that ate a book of bullshit and don’t get me started on Mr Woo** the vile creep.

13 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

That's a very interesting link.  Because his previous two employers, Lambeth and Barnet, were also know to be great outsourcers to Capita, notoriously so in the case of Barnet.  Perhaps he's been able to sell the same nonsense to Cannan, who after all thinks everything can be solved by giving money to people who already have a lot of it.

In 2011, under the pseudonym Mrs Angry, Musgrove began writing a blog called Broken Barnet, which doggedly monitored what the council was doing. She was not alone: by 2012, at least five Barnet bloggers were scrutinising Capita and the council, and exposing their failings.

I don’t know why we don’t have useful bloggers doing the same. 

16 hours ago, woolley said:

They seem unable to resist accomplished bullshitters, but birds of a feather flock together.

Reynolds, Spake, Charters, Magson, Murray.....I'm sure others will be able to contribute other names. Would anybody like to calculate how much these names have cost the Manx taxpayer in the last 15 years? Not just in £ s d but in reputational damage too?

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • Like 8

• 2 months later...
On 10/17/2023 at 4:00 PM, Roger Mexico said:

Even by the standards of bullshit butterflies that civil service recruitment come up with, this is quite a find:

Andy is a dynamic flexible and highly motivated leader that has a successful career in Customer and Corporate Services. An award winning professional who can deliver strategic, operational and transformational change in order to deliver a cost effective, high performing and quality services. Often working in partnership with others to deliver better outcomes for communities and business.

He has led large scale transformation and capital programmes focusing on the place, people, culture, process and technology in complex environments.

Andy has worked in both in a permanent and interim capacity and future roles would be as Executive Director, Chief Operating Officer, Chief Executive or Board level roles including NED appointments.

However if you look at the actual jobs he's held, he's had 12 different jobs since 2005, none of them as CEOs or remotely equivalent.  And he's been unemployed since May:

Strategic Director Customer & Corporate Services Plymouth City Council  Nov 2018 - May 2023  4 years 7 months

Strategic lead for the delivery of Customer and Corporate Services including Finance, Procurement, Capital Projects, Revenues & Benefits, Coroners, Registration Services, First Stop & Library Service, Contact Centre, HR, Shared Services, IT (DELT) Organisational Development, H&S and Well-being, Transformation and Digital. As a member of the Council's Corporate Management Team I lead the federation for Assistant Chief Exec's and Finance Directorate.

Director of Customer Service & IT  London Borough of Lambeth  Jan 2018 - Nov 2018  11 months

Interim role to support the development of the Council's Digital Strategy and the implementation of the Council's corporate business support function.

Customer Experience Strategy Director, Barnet Partnership/Capita Local Public Services  Jul 2016 - Jan 2018  1 year 7 months

Responsible for driving Transformation across one of London’s largest local authorities. Focussed on reducing volume, redesigning service, enabling digital capability and driving change across the organisation.

Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)

Head of Digital Service Centre Transformation  Jun 2015 - Jul 2016  1 year 2 months

Head of Contact Centre Services  Jan 2014 - Jun 2015  1 year 6 months

Responsible for leading the strategic and operational transformation for one of Europe's largest virtual contact centre networks. Located over 32 sites, in-house and outsourced operations with in excess of 5,500 agents delivering a complex service for working age customers claiming benefits such as Job Seekers Allowance, Income Support as well as a number of other services for Pensions, Local Authorities and DWP partners.

Interim Customer Services Director  Essex County Council  Apr 2013 - Jan 2014  10 months

Responsible for leading Customer Services, Registration Service, Libraries, Arts, Heritage and Culture. Also accountable for the successful delivery Customer Transformation as well as creating the new Customer Services function to go live in Octoner 2013.

Deputy Director (Contact Centres)  Genesis Housing Group  Dec 2010 - Apr 2013  2 years 5 months

Responsible for 3 Contact Centres & Receptions, Strategic Development & Service Planning, Transformation Programme Member & Project Sponsor

Wokingham Borough Council 

Transformation Programme Manager  Jul 2010 - Jan 2011  7 months

Programme Manager for Corporate Transformation, IT Implementation Programme, Service Redesign, Organisational Restructuring 

Customer First Programme Manager  Apr 2008 - Aug 2010  2 years 5 months

Programme Manager for Corporate Transformation, IT Implementation Programme, Service Redesign, Organisational Restructuring

Interim Contact Centre Manager  Cheshire County Council  Dec 2007 - Nov 2008  1 year

To lead Customer Service Teams through a challenging period of change due to Local Government Restructure

Group Manager Customer Services  London Borough of Waltham Forest  Apr 2003 - Feb 2007  3 years 11 months

Responsible for Contact Centres and Customer Services

Programme Manager  Home Office  2005 - 2007  2 years

To bring together Local Government and Police to deliver a high quality non-emergency partnership for their customers through Contact Centres, Walk in Centres and Online Service Provision. Now a UK wide service provided by the Police.

There's then a 20 year gap till when he left public school (he doesn't seem to have gone to University).  It's a career mainly managing LA call centres and nothing to indicate most of the skills or experience that you would expect someone in this role to need.  

Thanks for the link I hadn't read this before, this is world class bullshit, probably on a par with Reynolds, or at least vying for the top spot !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, asitis said:

Thanks for the link I hadn't read this before, this is world class bullshit, probably on a par with Reynolds, or at least vying for the top spot !

It's actually worse than Reynolds who at least had run airports before (admittedly she was sacked from one and closed down the other).  I suspect the truth was they decided they must recruit someone from outside, so as to change the 'culture', but no one sensible would apply.

I can't help wondering if this is a Nick Black-style appointment.  Putting someone known to be weak and ineffectual in the top job so that everyone else can continue behaving in the same way as before.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I can't help wondering if this is a Nick Black-style appointment.  Putting someone known to be weak and ineffectual in the top job so that everyone else can continue behaving in the same way as before.

Though given the fallout from Ranson and the departures claimed to be arising from it; everybody agreed that there had to be change. Alf Cannan said, decreed and promised it.

So who would have the power and influence to dilute that decree and the much needed changes arising from it?

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo

40 minutes ago, asitis said:

Perhaps more important to ask who has the cajones to implement it, we thought Cannan did !

Mr Cannan (jnr) had a father who had backbone and intellect, and who wasn't afraid to confront the CS if he felt they're plans weren't in best interests of the public.

Sorry to say that the 'promise of change' he seem to demand in Tynwald at the  time has simply just dissipated.

Would his father have been proud of juniors leadership qualities...I just don't know.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Sentience said:

Sorry to say that the 'promise of change' he seem to demand in Tynwald at the  time has simply just dissipated.

It always does. Nobody promised essential change and fiscal rectitude more than Allan Bell over the years. Nothing came of that either.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Sentience said:

Mr Cannan (jnr) had a father who had backbone and intellect, and who wasn't afraid to confront the CS if he felt they're plans weren't in best interests of the public.

Would his father have been proud of juniors leadership qualities...I just don't know.

Alfs' dad was slightly bent and only in it for himself. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, woolley said:

It always does. Nobody promised essential change and fiscal rectitude more than Allan Bell over the years. Nothing came of that either.

IMHO Allan Bell's legacy is a major contributor to the fiscal position we find ourselves in today. It can take many years for effects of policy to be expunged from the system, economy and society.

2 hours ago, Sentience said:

What did David Cannan actually achieve and how did he confront CS as I can’t remember him achieving anything other than the sack by miles walker?