Another external appointment

Banker

10 minutes ago, Banker said:

What did David Cannan actually achieve and how did he confront CS as I can’t remember him achieving anything other than the sack by miles walker?

He  advanced to Treasury Minister about 4  years after his election at a 1982 by-election, but that didn’t last. Then he was speaker for about 18 months in 2000-2001.

He did stand as, and fail to be elected, Chief Minister, and then Speaker in 2006.

Effectively he sulked after being sacked as Treasury Minister. 

Tony Brown didn’t offer him any political memberships in his administration, because no one wanted to work with him.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, John Wright said:

He  advanced to Treasury Minister about 4  years after his election at a 1982 by-election, but that didn’t last. Then he was speaker for about 18 months in 2000-2001.

He did stand as, and fail to be elected, Chief Minister, and then Speaker in 2006.

Tony Brown didn’t offer him any political memberships in his administration, because no one wanted to work with him.

Kind of blows Sentience’s comment apart.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

He certainly advanced, or at least promoted, the demolition of the Army/RAF camp at Jurby in 1988-ish, promising redevelopment and jobs for all out there.

35 years on, the only redevelopment and any jobs out there are totally unconnected to his assurances.

5 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's actually worse than Reynolds who at least had run airports before (admittedly she was sacked from one and closed down the other).  I suspect the truth was they decided they must recruit someone from outside, so as to change the 'culture', but no one sensible would apply.

I can't help wondering if this is a Nick Black-style appointment.  Putting someone known to be weak and ineffectual in the top job so that everyone else can continue behaving in the same way as before.

This is the way IoMG functions, anyone with any ideas for change is seen as a threat to the ineffectual majority. They haven't the mental capacity to manage any sort of change to the way they have always done things. They work against them, destroying their character, reputation and confidence, it's actually criminal. Manx Care is a cess pit of tossers for example, the Airport another! The only way to actually change anything is to sack every CEO of every department and recruit new people with a brief to change! 

Politicians can't change anything, they are not in office long enough, and anyway the CS just blocks anything they may try to do which will affect how they operate. We are stuck in a cycle of ineffective management by dunderheads!

Edited by Max Power
  • Like 9

7 minutes ago, Max Power said:

This is the way IoMG functions, anyone with any ideas for change is seen as a threat to the ineffectual majority. They haven't the mental capacity to manage any sort of change to the way they have always done things. They work against them, destroying their character, reputation and confidence, it's actually criminal. Manx Care is a cess pit of tossers for example, the Airport another! The only way to actually change anything is to sack every CEO of every department and recruit new people with a brief to change! 

Politicians can't change anything, they are not in office long enough, and anyway the CS just blocks anything they may try to do which will affect how they operate. We are stuck in a cycle of ineffective management by dunderheads!

Sounds like government functions everywhere unless you have some good examples in uk or even Europe?

On 12/29/2023 at 6:56 PM, Banker said:

Sounds like government functions everywhere unless you have some good examples in uk or even Europe?

Every government can be accused of this culture in certain areas at times, we just seem to be playing with a full deck of the bastards!

It must begin with those responsible for recruitment and promotion!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

‘As senior officers, we’re accountable for our actions and the actions of our people."

‘My wife is a numerologist,’  "She really helps people with their careers "

‘Being chief executive can be quite a lonely place,’ he said. ‘The only person who can tell you you’re doing the right thing are yourself'

‘My wife is a numerologist,’ said Mr Ralphs. ‘She has her own business. She really helps people with their careers and uses numerology as a means to inform them about their life paths. Ibiza being quite a spiritual island is a place dear to our hearts and is somewhere we may want to retire to in many years’ time.’

blimey

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, woolley said:

I do like this quote that speaks absolute volumes in one sentence:

"This will be one of my final destinations in terms of my career."

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/business/meet-the-qualified-chef-who-is-now-the-isle-of-man-governments-new-chief-executive-663679

The analogy that springs to mind is a footballer coming towards the end of a successful career who signs up for one last season in the Premiership for the last big payoff. 

2 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The analogy that springs to mind is a footballer coming towards the end of a successful career who signs up for one last season in the Premiership for the last big payoff. 

Except, as I pointed out on his appointment, his extensive career (now hidden but luckily I pasted it in) as a bullshit butterfly doesn't really indicate Premiership quality.  More someone clogging away in the lower leagues who's somehow been inexplicably picked up by a wealthy overseas club.

It is an interview of astonishing vacuity, even by the standards of the IOM Civil Service.  There's a lot of words but absolutely no ideas, and the impression that strategies and plans are things in themselves rather than something you use carry out actions and modify according to success or failure.  Instead plans, strategies, visions and the rest exist to produce documents and more of the same.

I can't help feeling this is a Nick Black-style appointment.  Someone, who's no doubt personally very nice, unsuited for the job who is basically there to protect those nominally under him from responsibility.  Meanwhile Randall will continue to control things from the Treasury.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1