Journalists with pitchforks

Cueey Lewis And The News

I think this is a bit sad. I read the story this morning and then saw a post on X from Jason Roberts who confirms that he was the journalist who challenged the decision not to publish this guys name 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/law-firm-director-fined-for-being-drunk-in-charge-of-children/

During the hearing Leonard-Morgan’s advocate attempted to prevent the media from reporting his client’s identity.

His application was refused by magistrates after challenge from a member of the press.

Honestly what is achieved by way of public interest in these situations? The guy clearly has a big problem and whether he’s an advocate or not is completely irrelevant. It’s a bit sad that someone thinks that it is in the public interest to parade this persons name around just to attract clicks to their website. It feels like fairly gutter press stuff. 

• Like 1

In the past the journos have all rallied round and said well its a problem with the system that enables us to publish stuff like names of people in court, not out fault.

Then you have this. The journos resemble the institution and they want to be able to cause the embarrassment to people. Absolute pricks the lot of em.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Then you have this. The journos resemble the institution and they want to be able to cause the embarrassment to people. Absolute pricks the lot of em.

It’s just sad. The guy clearly has a problem with alcohol and I can’t see that it’s in anyone’s interests to parade his (or anyone else’s) name around like this after that sort of court case. Is Roberts still a pub licensee in Peel? You wouldn’t want to be getting wasted in there just in case you’re next weeks news. 

Just now, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

It’s just sad. The guy clearly has a problem with alcohol and I can’t see that it’s in anyone’s interests to parade his (or anyone else’s) name around like this after that sort of court case. Is Roberts still a pub licensee in Peel? You wouldn’t want to be getting wasted in there just in case you’re next weeks news. 

It’s sad but then you compound the issue by posting his name on a public forum!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Banker said:

It’s sad but then you compound the issue by posting his name on a public forum!!

There’s more people who will have already read it on Manx Radio and elsewhere in the mainstream media than who will ever read it on a tiny site like this. 

• Sad 1

So if it was some one from a council estate would you be saying he should not be named or saying should of hung him and his name splashed on billboards. But because he is a lawyer (assumption) and has a drink problem, let's forgive him. He did not kill anybody. He was drunk in charge of a lethal lump of metal with his kids on board got what he deserved. You can not have one rule for the higher class. Thoe god knows this government are trying there best.

Edited by Dirty Buggane
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

So if it was some one from a council estate would you be saying he should not be named or saying should of hung him and his name splashed on billboards. But because he is a lawyer and has a drink problem, let's forgive him. He did not kill anybody. He was drunk in charge of a lethal lump of metal with his kids on board got what he deserved. You can not have one rule for the higher class. Thoe god knows this government are trying there best.

Who said he was behind the wheel? The article doesn’t.

There is a huge issue with press reporting on issues through the courts, we all know there is.

3 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

So if it was some one from a council estate would you be saying he should not be named or saying should have hung him and his name splashed on billboards. But because he is a lawyer (assumption) and has a drink problem, let's forgive him. 

No which is why I said the below. I think reporting this in relation to anyone is basically scummy low level journalism for click bait. 

20 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

I can’t see that it’s in anyone’s interests to parade his (or anyone else’s) name around like this after that sort of court case.

I've been saying that for a while, but for some "journalists" (using that term very loosely here), clicks are more important than lives. I need to do a follow up actually with the replies from the MHKs who responded to my emails. Not all even bothered. Many are seemingly totally ok with lives being ruined this way. Caring island my ass. 

• Like 1

Hold on. This is a report after conviction and sentence. What’s wrong with that? 

Surely there’s a difference between reporting charge and early appearances, and even trial, when someone is presumed innocent and reporting after conviction, when they’ve been found guilty?

I think the reporting is pretty sensitive. No mention of the circumstances surrounding the children.

Criminal Justice must be public, seen to be done. That includes press reporting.

This only got the level of coverage it did because of two things, the guy drank himself stupid and was drunk and unable to look after himself ( or some children in his care ) and fell down in the street, and then some very foolish lawyer ( who, ironically, has not been named )tried to pull the anonymity card. That on its own was guaranteed to result in wider coverage.

Half the time on here posters moan about alleged sweeping under the carpet and people not being held accountable.

Jason Roberts and the press/media can’t win.

Edited by Kipper99
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kipper99 said:

This only got the level of coverage it did because of two things, the guy drank himself stupid and was drunk and unable to look after himself ( or some children in his care ) and fell down in the street, and then some very foolish lawyer ( who, ironically, has not been named )tried to pull the anonymity card. That on its own was guaranteed to result in wider coverage.

Thanks for confirming Jason 😉

Seriously though the guy didn’t need to be named. Why not simply refer to a local advocate as you might to a carpet fitter or a van driver who did the same thing? It isn’t in the public interest for this guy to be named and shamed at all. His only crime seems to be to have an alcohol problem which I hope he’s now having support for (if he still has a job after being publicly shamed in such a way).

Edited by Cueey Lewis And The News