Journalists with pitchforks

Cueey Lewis And The News

22 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

You think the parents of the babies involved wouldn’t have already been notified by the police and involved in the trial and collecting of evidence??

Really?

No I don’t think that.

So that information becomes in the public domain then

Edited by The Voice of Reason

When Liverpool beat Man United by 7-0 I was interested to hear who had scored because I am an avid fan , of Liverpool, and like to know the individual players form.  It cannot be compared with a persons name being published or not in the local rag. My point which I have made in a previous post is …if it were someone from Pulrose would any lawyer even dream of asking for non publication of their name even if they had 10 children, no I don’t think so.     All things are equal or should be. 

13 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

It's tedious trawling through this to catch up on the story. Shouldn't have gone beyond the first page. We have public courts and a free press. Basic principles of a democracy. Only under exceptional circumstances should those principles be broken. It's not even about who he is or what he does. 

What about peoples medical records?  Should we publish list of medical procedures as well?  

Naming people in court cases harms them and their family and there is simply no need for it.  If it’s basic principles of a free democracy, then why do other democracies ban it?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

7 pages about a story of a guy 99.9% of people would have forgotten as soon as they scrolled past it on Facebook. Well done OP.

For what it's worth if you don't want your name in the papers don't commit criminal offences that lead to you ending up in court. 

That is such a smug and pious attitude.

• Sad 1

i wondering why we publish the names of murderers when they get convicted ??   they are going to be locked up for a considerable amount of time and as such are no danger to the public so why do we need to know???  maybe they should only be named a few weeks before they are due to be released ?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

That is such a smug and pious attitude.

Not really, it's called self responsibility, I don't want to cause embarrassment to myself or my family so I won't do anything that might land me in court. Maybe if people just started taking responsibility for their actions instead if blaming everything and everyone society might be a bit of a better place

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Not really, it's called self responsibility, I don't want to cause embarrassment to myself or my family so I won't do anything that might land me in court. Maybe if people just started taking responsibility for their actions instead if blaming everything and everyone society might be a bit of a better place

Life sometimes throws people a curveball, and the last thing they need in that situation when they have already been dealt with appropriately by police and the courts is a load of smug and self righteous people judging them because a radio station wants some clicks on its website.

I am still to see a valid reason as to why we publish the names of anyone convicted of anything, or why other countries have outlawed it?

Anyone replying would do well to check the relevant rehabilitation of offenders legislation before stating they wouldn’t want to employ or live near a convicted person or any other such rubbish.

8 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Life sometimes throws people a curveball, and the last thing they need in that situation when they have already been dealt with appropriately by police and the courts is a load of smug and self righteous people judging them because a radio station wants some clicks on its website.

And sometimes ( most times) people commit crimes for no more than personal gain ( stealing, mugging etc) and sometimes for no good reason, just because they are not nice people ( assault, domestic violence or abuse both mental and  physical etc).

I see no reason why they should not be named. That’s not me judging them as a smug and self righteous person.

If due process reveals the need for intervention by any particular agency, for example for drug or alcohol abuse then that should be available.In such cases people are more understanding than maybe you think they are.

42 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

I am still to see a valid reason as to why we publish the names of anyone convicted of anything, or why other countries have outlawed it?

Anyone replying would do well to check the relevant rehabilitation of offenders legislation before stating they wouldn’t want to employ or live near a convicted person or any other such rubbish.

I personally couldn't care less what someone has been convicted of, these stories I'll read then forget about it. As do the majority of other people.

• Like 2