Journalists with pitchforks

Cueey Lewis And The News

2 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

Does being named in court make your neighbours rally round and help you tax your vehicles in future or does often it result in you doing the exact same thing a year or so later? 

Yes, several of my neighbours rally around to change my parking disks to the next two hours!!!

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Winning one of the two places available to win  is winning. 

Nah, there is a winner and second place, if he polled one vote less then you may have a point but he did not get close, you could say if he did not get Fowlers second choices he would not be in.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HiVibes said:

Nah, there is a winner and second place, if he polled one vote less then you may have a point but he did not get close, you could say if he did not get Fowlers second choices he would not be in.

Wrong I’m afraid.If I win £1 M on the lottery and you win £10 we are both winners even though  you got “ second place”

I know that is a game of luck but the same terminology applies.

10 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Say Manchester United beat Liverpool 1-0.

Why do you need to know who scored the winning goal?

Do t be deliberately stupid.  That is completely different.  It’s a sporting event put on for the public to generate money and a lot of that money will be generated around gambling on who scores goals.

In what way is your live any better for know her name was Lucy Letby?

Edited by CrazyDave

This:

14 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Jason was right. This was a matter of open justice. Identities are only routinely protected when there is a likelihood of risk to a defendant. For example, the police officer charged with the murder of Kris Kaba. However, if he is convicted it will be a matter of public record and his name will be released 

A closed justice system is clearly unhealthy in a democracy.

I can still remember the time when the name, address, location of offence and size of parking fine were regularly printed in every edition!

As that nice Mr Peters pointed out any fear of the consequences of his actions clearly didn't stop him from doing what he did and the public have the right to be protected from people like him.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, P.K. said:

This:

A closed justice system is clearly unhealthy in a democracy.

I can still remember the time when the name, address, location of offence and size of parking fine were regularly printed in every edition!

As that nice Mr Peters pointed out any fear of the consequences of his actions clearly didn't stop him from doing what he did and the public have the right to be protected from people like him.

Nobody has suggested a closed system.

People without lives can still go and sit in the public gallery or look up court cases and results if their day is so empty they need something to fill it.

The offence and the outcome can still be reported in the press, but names should be withheld.

I can’t think of a single time the name of an offender has been published that has had any impact on my life other than thinking I used to go to school with them.  

What is the benefit?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Do t be deliberately stupid.  That is completely different.  It’s a sporting event put on for the public to generate money and a lot of that money will be generated around gambling on who scores goals.

In what way is your live any better for know her name was Lucy Letby?

There’s no need to be rude because you are unable to comprehend what I am saying.

I don’t gamble on who scores goals in football matches but am mildly interested in who does so, particularly for the team I support.

It’s not a case of my life being improved by knowing the name of Lucy Letby. It won’t , nor will her life be any worse for her by me knowing her name.

If the information we receive through our lives is restricted to only that which improves our position it would be a dull life.

For example most of us would then be prohibited from watching nature documentaries on the  giant turtles in the Galápagos Islands. We may find such programmes of interest but in terms of making our lives any better they are superfluous.

3 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

There’s no need to be rude because you are unable to comprehend what I am saying.

I don’t gamble on who scores goals in football matches but am mildly interested in who does so, particularly for the team I support.

It’s not a case of my life being improved by knowing the name of Lucy Letby. It won’t , nor will her life be any worse for her by me knowing her name.

If the information we receive through our lives is restricted to only that which improves our position it would be a dull life.

For example most of us would then be prohibited from watching nature documentaries on the  giant turtles in the Galápagos Islands. We may find such programmes of interest but in terms of making our lives any better they are superfluous.

You are just being ridiculous.  The nature documentary reference is ludicrous.

You accept that your life isn’t improved by knowing her name, nobody’s is, but others lives are made worse by that info being public so what is the point?  Its just to give people something to gossip about and to keep the press revenue going.

I await a comparison to a West End Show or something 🙄

Edited by CrazyDave

1 minute ago, CrazyDave said:

You are just being ridiculous.  The nature documentary reference is ludicrous.

You accept that your life isn’t improved by knowing her name, nobody’s is, but others lives are made worse by that info being public so what is the point?

I await a comparison to a West End Show or something 🙄

Les Miserables?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Mr. Sausages said:

Probably made thousands of peoples lives better to know whether or not the baby killer had looked after their baby.

And for those who did have their babies killed to know who did it.

ETA Small comfort I know.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Wrong I’m afraid.If I win £1 M on the lottery and you win £10 we are both winners even though  you got “ second place”

I know that is a game of luck but the same terminology applies.

You win a wooden spoon, still makes you a loser.

12 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

And for those who did have their babies killed to know who did it.

ETA Small comfort I know.

You think the parents of the babies involved wouldn’t have already been notified by the police and involved in the trial and collecting of evidence??

Really?

Edited by CrazyDave

OK if you’re not allowed to name people who do bad things, how come you can name people who do good things?
It’s the same sort of logic that says you shouldn’t identify those, for example, who get a OBE or other gong for services to charity.

Knowing the names  of those so rewarded also doesn’t improve your life.