IOM Post Office Profits down 66 percent

HiVibes

5 minutes ago, Laxey said:

Things may be about to get a whole lot worse for IOM Post though…

….according to our postie, IOM Post Office may lose the contract for parcels from Royal Mail to Manx Independent Carriers…..and whilst MIC may not have enough infrastructure to cope with the volume of parcels, IOM Post Office may end up delivering them on behalf of MIC…..but at a lower per parcel price, therefore reducing their income further.

They've been losing various parcel work to private carriers for several years now.

1 minute ago, finlo said:

I was meaning about your "news" which can be found on the first page of this thread.

No, that's just the Parcelforce work. This is other smaller parcels and stuff as well.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

No, that's just the Parcelforce work. This is other smaller parcels and stuff as well.

From my knowledge of working at IOMPost for a few years several years ago, the yodel parcel contract was lost to manx independent carriers in about 2018 but then sub contracted back because they could not handle the extra. They paid post office peanuts in comparison. 

i think something similar happened with hermes and dpd years before that… 

if royal mail goes to manx independent, I can see the hermes couriers taking over some of that work, and just having smaller areas to cover with more parcels per street. 

it also gives manx independent the option to cherry pick where they want to deliver. For example, they may choose to deliver the royal mail parcels within douglas and onchan themselves but leave all the rural parcels which are not profitable to iom post. 

One things for sure, IOM Post are in dire straights. Glad I got out when I could. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Maugholdmafia said:

From my knowledge of working at IOMPost for a few years several years ago, the yodel parcel contract was lost to manx independent carriers in about 2018 but then sub contracted back because they could not handle the extra. They paid post office peanuts in comparison. 

i think something similar happened with hermes and dpd years before that… 

if royal mail goes to manx independent, I can see the hermes couriers taking over some of that work, and just having smaller areas to cover with more parcels per street. 

it also gives manx independent the option to cherry pick where they want to deliver. For example, they may choose to deliver the royal mail parcels within douglas and onchan themselves but leave all the rural parcels which are not profitable to iom post. 

One things for sure, IOM Post are in dire straights. Glad I got out when I could. 

So the fact is, that whatever Stu Peters says about the race to the bottom.... IOMP are already there.

The simple fact is that the small parcel sector works in the same way as letters.... it's volume, nothing more. I really don't understand why this is an issue for IOMP, they have the assets and people (their main asset) to provide an all-Island service and should really be the go-to entity for this type of business.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

So the fact is, that whatever Stu Peters says about the race to the bottom.... IOMP are already there.

The simple fact is that the small parcel sector works in the same way as letters.... it's volume, nothing more. I really don't understand why this is an issue for IOMP, they have the assets and people (their main asset) to provide an all-Island service and should really be the go-to entity for this type of business.

Because they clearly don’t have a scooby doo about how to run a logistics business and employ largely managers with no commercial experience but 30 years experience of sitting behind a desk in a risk-free environment. There’s probably a report in there that says that they don’t get any contracts they pitch for as they don’t have enough electric vans because they’ve paid a consultant who has shown that people won’t pay a postal provider that is polluting the planet in 2023 because of net zero. The usual government total bullshit incompetence justifying stuff and support the buying of ridiculous capital items that they don’t need just because they fancied some new toys. 

Edited by Cueey Lewis And The News
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

I think the issue is Post Office pay the posties good wages, pensions and benefits but the rest don’t. So you can have cheaper post but staff getting paid worse like the rest of industry and then you’re into a fire and rehire situation that people on steam packet thread say is not acceptable. 
Wait for Cueey to come on with more bullshit solutions 😂

Just now, Banker said:

I think the issue is Post Office pay the posties good wages, pensions and benefits but the rest don’t. So you can have cheaper post but staff getting paid worse like the rest of industry and then you’re into a fire and rehire situation that people on steam packet thread say is not acceptable. 
Wait for Cueey to come on with more bullshit solutions 😂

Well, if they carry as they are no one will have a job. So the union should be cognisant of that situation.

I think the post office has to many managerial positions and are over payed for the posts. Managers generally but not always are in a different union than the hands on brigade because they are special. So no doubt the fire rehire will not effect them as they make the decisions then blame the pesky work force when the decisions go tits up.