IOM Post Office Profits down 66 percent

HiVibes

6 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

I’d be guessing that every one of the 20 people facing redundancy (if they are at the coal face) will, in time, be replaced by the type of “gig economy” workers IOM Post claims to hate so much (ie, zero hours workers paid per package). As it’s the only way to make the delivery chain financially viable. 

Why would this make things cheaper? How much per package? Evri - known apparently for being cheap - pay between 50p and a pound, depending on what and where it is. How many packages does a postman/woman deliver do you think? 

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Why would this make things cheaper? How much per package? Evri - known apparently for being cheap - pay between 50p and a pound, depending on what and where it is. How many packages does a postman deliver do you think? 

On the basis that the per package model is the accepted model for Evri and other successful non PO carriers I’d say that it is probably the most efficient model and that they will have analyzed how many drop offs are done before establishing a drop off based pricing model. It seems to be the best way of making sure as many packages as possible are delivered in a day. 

You’d think IOM Post could work backwards. If we pay a postie £35K a year, plus pension, plus holidays, at x cost how many packages does that postie deliver in a year. It’s what commercial businesses like Evri will have done years ago. 

Edited by Cueey Lewis And The News

3 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

On the basis that the per package model is the accepted model for Evri and other successful non PO carriers I’d say that it is probably the most efficient model and that they will have analyzed how many drop offs are done before establishing a drop off based pricing model. It seems to be the best way of making sure as many packages as possible are delivered in a day. 

I note you don't give a little guess at a number. Average day. Go on. Have a little go. 

Manx indie don't pay per drop, or dhl, or fcx either btw.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I note you don't give a little guess at a number. Average day. Go on. Have a little go.

What I’m saying is that big logistic businesses like Evri will have run the numbers 10x over already to arrive at their financial model. IOM Post presumably could do the same in working out what its delivery cost per package is per salaried postman to see how competitive its delivery model is compared to others. 

1 minute ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

What I’m saying is that big logistic businesses like Evri will have run the numbers 10x over already to arrive at their financial model. IOM Post presumably could do the same in working out what its delivery cost per package is per salaried postman and see how competitive its delivery model is. 

The reason you won't have a guess is because you haven't a clue, and that's ok, just admit it.

3 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

The reason you won't have a guess is because you haven't a clue, and that's ok, just admit it.

No I don’t need to guess. Evri is a huge business with huge supply contracts. They will have already run that data 10x over to arrive at their per package pricing structure. That is the basic distribution model that’s been set. You would assume IOM Post have done the exact same to assess the per unit cost of its delivery/supply network. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I don't think Evri should be the benchmark.

They are though. They have huge contracts with Amazon and eBay. They have established a cost effective per package delivery model by analyzing the delivery data. If IOM Post can’t compete it’s tough really. I’ve had plenty of instances of appalling service by IOM Post. In contrast our Evri driver is a really nice bloke. Not really had an issue at all. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

I’d be guessing that every one of the 20 people facing redundancy (if they are at the coal face) will, in time, be replaced by the type of “gig economy” workers IOM Post claims to hate so much (ie, zero hours workers paid per package). As it’s the only way to make the delivery chain financially viable. 

But the model relies on having an endless supply of workers willing to work under those terms.  What happens when there aren't enough?  And Evri are already finding things more difficult. in the UK.

8 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But the model relies on having an endless supply of workers willing to work under those terms.  What happens when there aren't enough?  And Evri are already finding things more difficult. in the UK.

The model is the model though. It will evolve as circumstances change. That is the same Brexit effect that most low cost businesses (hospitality etc) are suffering post covid. There is an absence of cheap, cheap, labour because people are now prevented from moving to the UK to work. At least the Evri earnings are still scalable (ie, you can make sure you deliver more packages in 24 hours to earn more money) than many other minimum wage service economy jobs. 

IOM Post Office must be really desperate for revenue, judging by the nonsense it has pumped onto the NPM today - encouraging children to write a letter to Father Christmas and to post it to a PO Box address. So that’s a minimum of 80p per letter. Depending on how many children in a family etc, a little money spinner. 

Surely they could have done something to please children without imposing costs on to families. Let’s face it, Christmas cards tradition will soon fizzle out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, 2112 said:

IOM Post Office must be really desperate for revenue, judging by the nonsense it has pumped onto the NPM today - encouraging children to write a letter to Father Christmas and to post it to a PO Box address. So that’s a minimum of 80p per letter. Depending on how many children in a family etc, a little money spinner. 

Surely they could have done something to please children without imposing costs on to families. Let’s face it, Christmas cards tradition will soon fizzle out. 

FFS they’re offering a response from Santa for 80p , go to one of the many Santa’s grottos if you don’t want your letter 

I am waiting for someone to do a price comparison  postal and parcel rates for items leaving the island seem higher then for those coming  into the Island , to can see they when you have to return something   , and when you post a letter or small packet it has to go through a magical letterbox behind the counter in the post office ,and if its too thick to go through you pay an extra premium ,  I wonder who regulates these sizes if its supposed to be a standard letterbox ,

something not ringing true about postal rates ?  are we more expensive  or on a par with Royal Mail  time someone was telling  us 

26 minutes ago, Omobono said:

I am waiting for someone to do a price comparison  postal and parcel rates for items leaving the island seem higher then for those coming  into the Island , to can see they when you have to return something   , and when you post a letter or small packet it has to go through a magical letterbox behind the counter in the post office ,and if its too thick to go through you pay an extra premium ,  I wonder who regulates these sizes if its supposed to be a standard letterbox ,

something not ringing true about postal rates ?  are we more expensive  or on a par with Royal Mail  time someone was telling  us 

Why don’t you do the price comparison & let us know?

59 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I seen to remember letters to Santa stuck in a post office box were free?

My 3 got replies - from Santa* via all sorts of websites (Santa is/ was  a tech Guru - He had speed of light travel done before it had even been a thing) Back in the early 50s

* It may have been my partner at the time?

• Haha 1