IOM Post Office Profits down 66 percent

HiVibes

2 hours ago, The Central Scrutiniser said:

Because they used to send a veritable army of vans, postmen & managers to unload the airmail off the aircraft. Now it comes in one or two containers collected by one contract driver & his tractor unit.

No, three vans, one driver each who also did the unloading of the plane with the assistance of ground staff, and one admin to deal with the arriving airmail paperwork. Another 3 staff to deal with the airmail admin and sorting once back at PO HQ. The three drivers then went on to other delivery duties.

A far greater loss of work and positions has been caused by the loss of the Parcelforce contract to MIC which could be 15%<.

Container mail has always arrived on the Island via container trailer/boat but the priority airmail service has now been discontinued and its slower replacement added to that surface mail.

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

No, three vans, one driver each who also did the unloading of the plane with the assistance of ground staff, and one admin to deal with the arriving airmail paperwork. Another 3 staff to deal with the airmail admin and sorting once back at PO HQ. The three drivers then went on to other delivery duties.

A far greater loss of work and positions has been caused by the loss of the Parcelforce contract to MIC which could be 15%<.

Container mail has always arrived on the Island via container trailer/boat but the priority airmail service has now been discontinued and its slower replacement added to that surface mail.

Sorry but you’re wrong, there were lots more vans/drivers going to/from airport so substantial savings in time & staff. However I can’t argue too much as according to Fantasy Cueey Im4 you plus Gizo and jarndyce so far😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Banker said:

Sorry but you’re wrong, there were lots more vans/drivers going to/from airport so substantial savings in time & staff. However I can’t argue too much as according to Fantasy Cueey Im4 you plus Gizo and jarndyce so far😂

Absolute rubbish. IoMPO were daily advised of the quantity of incoming airmail by tonnage and despatched only the necessary number of vans and personnel to deal with it. Daily could usually be between 3 and 5 tonnes so three vans was more than enough.

That mail has now been transferred to surface mail tonnage to arrive by container so there is no real loss of volume. Approximately 8 positions are directly affected by the loss of the airmail service.

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Banker said:

jarndyce so far😂

I have never said you’re Jardyce. They’re just a pathetic almost insignificant troll. A sort of weak forum based superficially and vaguely annoying internet fart that just attracts a deep level of pity for the fact that they even still try. Not even on my radar.

Edited by Cueey Lewis And The News

9 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Absolute rubbish. IoMPO were daily advised of the quantity of incoming airmail by tonnage and despatched only the necessary number of vans and personnel to deal with it. Daily could usually be between 3 and 5 tonnes so three vans was more than enough.

That mail has now been transferred to surface mail tonnage to arrive by container so there is no real loss of volume. Approximately 8 positions are directly affected by the loss of the airmail service.

I can only comment on my own experiences NB, although I have been retired from IOMPO over 5 years now after 20+ years service. It was considerably more than 3 vans & drivers in my day. That said, things have probably changed considerably in the intervening years.

38 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Sounds more likely than containers and trucks?

Even containers would need unloading and sorting, surely the staff required would be same as before?

The loss of the Parcelforce work is significant. It dealt with larger parcel items (clue, "Parcelforce") and was a huge volume coming onto the island daily, shop and retail stock, car workshop and stores parts, farm and equine supplies, anything large and bulky with a much smaller volume of domestic Parcelforce deliveries. All had to be hand-sorted and then delivered, usually separately to letters because often it was two-man lifts to shift it. This loss is affecting positions far more than the loss of the airmail but was mostly done by casuals and part-timers, many of whom have already gone with others warned for January.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Central Scrutiniser said:

I can only comment on my own experiences NB, although I have been retired from IOMPO over 5 years now after 20+ years service. It was considerably more than 3 vans & drivers in my day. That said, things have probably changed considerably in the intervening years.

In the last four years the maximum number of vans despatched to the airport for 6am airmail was 4, that was at Xmas with the expected increase in volume. The number of vans related to the tonnage advice. Mostly it would be 3 which was more than adequate.

No wonder the service was scrapped as unviable???

Surely bulk items like fertiliser, cement & sand etc etc. would have come via the boat and probably through a freight company anyway?

I still can't see that the same amount that would fit in the plane, coming via the boat, would require 20 or so redundancies!

24 minutes ago, Kopek said:

No wonder the service was scrapped as unviable???

Surely bulk items like fertiliser, cement & sand etc etc. would have come via the boat and probably through a freight company anyway?

I still can't see that the same amount that would fit in the plane, coming via the boat, would require 20 or so redundancies!

It's nothing to do with bulk sand, fertiliser or cement and never came by plane, it always comes by surface mail. Think retail shop stock, pharmaceuticals, motor industry, farm industry goods, anything large and bulky. The volume of stuff that it takes to sustain the economy of a population of 85K is considerable.

Royal Mail breached their contract with IoMP in respect of this and awarded distribution to MIC.

IoMP have little option but to accept this because they have other contracts with RM that they don't want to jeopardise by kicking off.

3 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Royal Mail breached their contract with IoMP in respect of this and awarded distribution to MIC.

IoMP have little option but to accept this because they have other contracts with RM that they don't want to jeopardise by kicking off.

Royal Mail has gone to shit ever since it was privatised. It’s a real shame it’s now dragging our postal service down with it.

On 12/12/2023 at 10:48 AM, Banker said:

Think it’s £2 in Ireland!!

Iit starts at 1.35 EURO

It's quicker to do that google thing rather than do pub talk guessing (!!!!!!)

28 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

t's nothing to do with bulk sand, fertiliser or cement and never came by plane, it always comes by surface mail. Think retail shop stock, pharmaceuticals,

Yes, I guessed that!

Regards retail, wouldn't this be determined by the chosen carrier of the wholesaler???? Which is often now not the PO.

There are several 'main' delivery companies in England, used by EBayers and many small sellers. Do these companies actually have a local service or is this contracted out to local freighters???