IOM Post Office Profits down 66 percent

HiVibes

3 minutes ago, Manxman1234 said:

I think you need a new calculator or need to re check your numbers as it’s around 2% of turn over 

Sorry due to the high quality journalism on display I used the £542 figure that was quoted. Even at 2% it’s totally embarrassing based on T/O of £24M. Anyone else would probably be able to squeeze a profit of 20% out of a distribution business. 

6 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

Have you read his statement? 

@HiVibes

If you mean this one then yes:

18 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I used to think you were just a vicious little troll with some sort of personal grudge against me, but I’m coming to realise it’s just envy. You want to be me, with a happy and fulfilled life, numerous interesting hobbies, a well paid and rewarding job, a lovely family, lots of friends and an impeccable sense of modesty…

But you can’t. So you’re the only loser here. Your posts are more outrageous than anything I’ve ever written or said, and idiotic to boot. If you concentrated more on yourself than on me, I expect your miserable existence would be slightly happier.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Manxman1234 said:

So there isn’t a sorting office in Ramsey, Peel and Castletown then?

Mail is sorted in Douglas for relevant onward delivery to the regional delivery offices, in some cases for the individual daily delivery rounds out of those regional offices. But a lot of mail still also has be further sorted to individual daily delivery rounds at those offices. It's the nature of the business.

17 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

He's got a lot of hate stored up there, though thats true of most taxi drivers.

Oh the irony!

All the taxi drivers I've ever travelled with on the island have all been really nice people.

Especially my friend Mike Culligan...

It’s difficult to see where increased revenues will be generated in the postal sector. More stuff is being bought online for home delivery and I suppose securing a bigger proportion of the parcel delivery market might be an avenue, except that isn’t really happening due to competition from those with less overheads. The letter part of the market is contracting as more and more of us choose electronic delivery of documents. I see paper delivery of bank statements etc being withdrawn as an option in the (near) future too. The only way of maintaining margins is to reduce the service. Daily rounds for letter delivery will go and will cease to make any sense as most urgent items will increasingly arrive in electronic format. This will entail a change in attitude by customers and government to service delivery. The alternative is subsidy. 

Edited by joebean
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, joebean said:

It’s difficult to see where increased revenues will be generated in the postal sector. 

To be honest you don’t need to be Sir Alan Sugar to point out that if you’re turning over £24M a year and you’re only making a 2% profit on it then it isn’t growing your revenue that the problem it’s your operating costs. 

• Like 1

Just another thought. I have nothing at all against Stu Peters but what actually is the point of a politically appointed Chairperson? Is it to provide commercial guidance? Almost certainly not. Is it to provide oversight and guidance on service delivery? If so, on what basis would such guidance be given? Is it to keep an eye on public investment? It seems to me that a service provider that is involved in delivering a service to the public would be best making commercial decisions, based on their own commercial judgement set against their own understanding of what customers actually want and are willing to pay for. Unless, of course, Government is going to insist on a level of service delivery despite any commercial judgement and to be on standby to commit public funding to secure that. Perhaps Stu could enlighten us. 

24 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Letter delivery, Tenerife style:

mail-delivery-moto-en-tenerife-espana-teniendo-el-logotipo-y-el-color-amarillo-del-servicio-postal-espanol-d4kkwk.thumb.jpg.0423098dd8e63c148091836edbd2e61f.jpg

Or, better still:

copenhagendenmark25-january-2023-german-dhl-parcel-bike-delivery-in-copenhagen-denmark-photo-francis-joseph-deandean-pictures-2MFN7BY.thumb.jpg.e3a627a41f012b69b202d945db8a304f.jpg

I can’t see these on the island, especially as IOMPO managers will be upset at losing their nice new vans. However these modes of transportation of the post, is perfect, and environmentally friendly. 

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

The problem lies in Executive (3 on £125k+ each pa) and management and administration numbers and remuneration. Increasing numbers of "project managers" whose only projects appear to be overseeing the PO losing business to competitors, such as the recent Parcelforce loss and the earlier Yodel loss which was then farmed back to the PO by MIC at much less than had been previously paid.

Heads need to be rolling within the management structure but as with any other Govt operation it won't happen, blame and cuts will be directed towards the grass roots.

There's only one on £125+ according to the accounts, though the wage structure is interesting:

image.png.7a57996bed9ab7b348f721d93249cb8c.png

I suspect few of the 18 on over £50K spend much time putting things through letterboxes.

(Obviously mainly posting to provide actual link to the accounts).

• Like 1