IOM Post Office Profits down 66 percent

HiVibes

12 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

What a crock of shit!

Maybe a Madam Tussauds model of one of the IOM Post Office top brass,bending down, trouser round their ankles and an aperture in their bottom in which you could post your letter or packet through.

Perhaps you could put another aperture at the other end, shame to leave old PK out, sharing is caring and all that.

1 hour ago, HiVibes said:

Perhaps you could put another aperture at the other end, shame to leave old PK out, sharing is caring and all that.

I don't see anything wrong in playground humour bearing in mind how many have a childish sense of humour...

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Jersey Post lost £6.6 million in financial Y/E 2022.

they’ve just negotiated the on Island contract for UPS.

Thats got to be the route. Pick up and delivery for Hermes/Evri, UPS and other courier firms 

They're probably quite low-margin - can't imagine there's much profit involved, but you would think a moribund business that's geared towards delivery in a tiny, enclosed market would have stepped into that space as soon as privatisation happened.

Needs a radical change in thinking rather than just hearing their leadership complaining about the decline in letters like a captain standing on the prow as the ship slowly disappears under water. I can't even believe that it's being talked about 50 years after email came along, as if it was a completely unexpected development.

There are so many business opportunities that are being actively pursued by private enterprise both here and elsewhere, and already having that infrastructure for transport and delivery would seem to put them in an ideal place to compete.

25 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Thats got to be the route. Pick up and delivery for Hermes/Evri, UPS and other courier firms 

Of course Jersey Post along with Guernsey post are corporatised similar to IOM steam packet so don’t have as many political views to take into account when making decisions.

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

That sounds like a good idea from a commercial point of view, really good.

BUT, can you imagine the post men/ women taking on all that extra work for no big uplift in remuneration?

That, I think is the problem, over the years the load on a postman/ woman has got less and less.

Suddenly saying you are taking on half as much again, say,  of post to carry/ deliver, on your round will not sit well.

Being fair, I would not like that If I were a postman and I am sure most others would not either unless you think Posties should be treated like dogs which I am sure you do not John.

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

If you sack the lumbering, out of control management and get the workers to accept pay per call then maybe. Otherwise, forget that.

• Like 2

On 10/23/2023 at 4:32 PM, woolley said:

If you sack the lumbering, out of control management and get the workers to accept pay per call then maybe. Otherwise, forget that.

Or maybe just focus on delivering post. I posted and paid for a guaranteed 48 hour delivery last Monday. It arrived in London yesterday afternoon. No point in sending mail by boat if the boat doesn’t actually sail. A complete rip off third world service. 

16 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

Or maybe just focus on delivering post. I posted and paid for a guaranteed 48 hour delivery last Monday. It arrived in London yesterday afternoon. No point in sending mail by boat if the boat doesn’t actually sail. A complete rip off third world service. 

Presumably you will get a refund if the guarantee was not met? as mentioned previously there is a next day option by plane but no idea on price.

The Post Office needs to get some Managers with balls!!

Until recently the letter post on our estate was delivered by a walking postman and parcels etc were delivered by a different postman in a van. A few months ago it changed to a postman delivering parcels in the van which he then parked up and walked around delivering letters. The last couple of weeks it has graduated to a postman delivering parcels and letters in a van. 

The van now goes round the entire estate stopping every 20 or 30 yards  to make the deliveries. Is this efficient use of a motor vehicle? With all the stop / start driving they will be knackered in no time. 

Postmen's routes were known as "walks" for a reason. Maybe they have been re-named.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

A lawyer on the Island I’m dealing with currently rang me on Monday  night to say the forms I need to sign were posted that evening. As of today still not arrived and the secretary remembers the letter and says was definitely posted late Monday. Which of the many big salaried manager is responsible for that operation. It’s Douglas to Douglas. How the mighty have fallen. Receptionist says that’s normal…Is it ?? 

18 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

A lawyer on the Island I’m dealing with currently rang me on Monday  night to say the forms I need to sign were posted that evening. As of today still not arrived and the secretary remembers the letter and says was definitely posted late Monday. Which of the many big salaried manager is responsible for that operation. It’s Douglas to Douglas. How the mighty have fallen. Receptionist says that’s normal…Is it ?? 

It is we hand deliver most Douglas post now. It’s easier and speeds things up. It’s interesting to see Peters above defend the indefensible. The services is generally shite and can’t be relied on. I think £6.50 to pay for 48 hours guaranteed delivery of a tiny package which actually takes 8 days to get there is bloody pathetic. I could have posted it from France or Spain and got it to London quicker. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mistercee said:

The Post Office needs to get some Managers with balls!!

Until recently the letter post on our estate was delivered by a walking postman and parcels etc were delivered by a different postman in a van. A few months ago it changed to a postman delivering parcels in the van which he then parked up and walked around delivering letters. The last couple of weeks it has graduated to a postman delivering parcels and letters in a van. 

The van now goes round the entire estate stopping every 20 or 30 yards  to make the deliveries. Is this efficient use of a motor vehicle? With all the stop / start driving they will be knackered in no time. 

Postmen's routes were known as "walks" for a reason. Maybe they have been re-named.    

The "walkmen", as they were known delivered letters and packets only and were done away with as part of a big reorganisation and cull earlier in the year which as you say, results in one man delivering both parcels and letters from a van, in longer daily delivery duties too. This allowed posts to be cut and delivery headcount reduced, just part of an overhaul of working practices which were accepted and implemented.

Yet despite all this and the loss of the work and costs involved with the airmail and the promises surrounding the new sorting machine, the Post Office still can't improve profits.

Watch out for the hike in postal charges in January 😉

• Like 1