IOM Post Office Profits down 66 percent

HiVibes

13 hours ago, Banker said:

please don’t accept facts , you never do normally!!

Only when they are your fabricated facts.

As many as 20 initial redundancies now taking place at the Douglas PO, mainly amongst contracted part timers, this in addition to casual staff who are going or have already gone.

Let's hope the board are proud of themselves and their achievements although these losses may be mitigated by MIC now advertising for more delivery staff.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Only when they are your fabricated facts.

As many as 20 initial redundancies now taking place at the Douglas PO, mainly amongst contracted part timers, this in addition to casual staff who are going or have already gone.

Let's hope the board are proud of themselves and their achievements although these losses may be mitigated by MIC now advertising for more delivery staff.

Evidence or more fabrication? Press release etc

Edited by Banker
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Maugholdmafia said:

This morning I am hearing rumours of 21 redundancies at Douglas Sorting Office, including to permanent members of staff. 

All to be made redundant in January. As a result of declining mail volumes, postal revisions and loss of parcel force contract... 

that’s sad…truthfully. Wonder is it just coal face workers or management in those suggested numbers. Let me guess ! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maugholdmafia said:

This morning I am hearing rumours of 21 redundancies at Douglas Sorting Office, including to permanent members of staff. 

All to be made redundant in January. As a result of declining mail volumes, postal revisions and loss of parcel force contract... 

unfortunately high over heads including management, and salaries make bidding for business uncompetitive. Business need to be streamlined and lean to survive. The IOMPO is a dinosaur 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

that’s sad…truthfully. Wonder is it just coal face workers or management in those suggested numbers. Let me guess ! 

Out of the total, there is one "management" position, although that is tbc.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

Out of the total, there is one "management" position, although that is tbc.

As with most government positions, I believe they will offer to redeploy affected permanent staff first into other positions across the business. For example, a permanent redundancy in douglas sorting office may be offered a position at the southern delivery office which is currently filled by a temporary contract. The person on temp. contract then loses their job, albeit temporary. 

It seems to have come at short notice the decision, I wonder also if they will encourage posties close to retirement to retire early as well? I know they used to offer a voluntary redundancy scheme every year, but I understand this stopped as it was no longer feasible in terms of cost.  

21 is certainly a high number, probably a fifth of the workforce in DSO? 

What is the position of the CWU and will there be a press release? 

@Stu Peters can you comment on this?

56 minutes ago, Maugholdmafia said:

As with most government positions, I believe they will offer to redeploy affected permanent staff first into other positions across the business. For example, a permanent redundancy in douglas sorting office may be offered a position at the southern delivery office which is currently filled by a temporary contract. The person on temp. contract then loses their job, albeit temporary. 

It seems to have come at short notice the decision, I wonder also if they will encourage posties close to retirement to retire early as well? I know they used to offer a voluntary redundancy scheme every year, but I understand this stopped as it was no longer feasible in terms of cost.  

21 is certainly a high number, probably a fifth of the workforce in DSO? 

What is the position of the CWU and will there be a press release? 

@Stu Peters can you comment on this?

21 is a relatively small percentage of the DSO workforce and will comprise of contracted part-timers and casual employees engaged in sorting and early-day delivery work mainly, it's unlikely that any of these will be offered automatic redeployment anywhere. Full timers/long servers on the staff enjoy retention priority.

My understanding is that the management position concerned is a relatively junior position and the same will apply as to the other casualties.

Senior management, admin (and exec) are to remain unscathed. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

21 is a relatively small percentage of the DSO workforce and will comprise of contracted part-timers and casual employees engaged in sorting and early-day delivery work mainly, it's unlikely that any of these will be offered automatic redeployment anywhere. Full timers/long servers on the staff enjoy retention priority.

My understanding is that the management position concerned is a relatively junior position and the same will apply as to the other casualties.

Senior management, admin (and exec) are to remain unscathed. 

So even more top heavy . That makes sense. Not ! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Please see subsequent posts, Fabrication Master 😉

Still waiting for your evidence or just rumours from man in pub? of course redundancies if needed could be due to efficiency of parcel machines and don’t need as many posties as who posts letters these days?

26 minutes ago, Banker said:

Still waiting for your evidence or just rumours from man in pub? of course redundancies if needed could be due to efficiency of parcel machines and don’t need as many posties as who posts letters these days?

The redundancies are required as a direct result of the loss of the Parcelforce contract and will ultimately affect the other regional offices as well as DSO. Parcelforce had to be handsorted as it frequently comprised items that were too large for the parcel machine to handle.

The machine itself requires 8- 10 people to work it anyway in loading and clearing sorted mail, that remains the case.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The redundancies are required as a direct result of the loss of the Parcelforce contract and will ultimately affect the other regional offices as well as DSO. Parcelforce had to be handsorted as it frequently comprised items that were too large for the parcel machine to handle.

The machine itself requires 8- 10 people to work it anyway in loading and clearing sorted mail, that remains the case.

That’s bollocks and you know it or your usual unsubstantiated rumours, of course you do know there is no mail plane anymore so presumably they don’t need several posties travelling down there in vans several times a day as it will just come in a container so again efficiencies & cost swings plus environmental savings but of course facts don’t fit your narrative