IOM Post Office Profits down 66 percent

HiVibes

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

That’s bollocks and you know it or your usual unsubstantiated rumours, of course you do know there is no mail plane anymore so presumably they don’t need several posties travelling down there in vans several times a day as it will just come in a container so again efficiencies & cost swings plus environmental savings but of course facts don’t fit your narrative 

I think it's you that should be called Non believer!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Wake Up Call said:

Number of non post office parcel deliveries per day? 20k+?

Don’t know but doubt it’s 20k+ per day that’s 120k Pweek eg probably 2 for every household in IOM plus post office deliveries so maybe 4 per week for every household!!!

43 minutes ago, Banker said:

That’s bollocks and you know it or your usual unsubstantiated rumours, of course you do know there is no mail plane anymore so presumably they don’t need several posties travelling down there in vans several times a day as it will just come in a container so again efficiencies & cost swings plus environmental savings but of course facts don’t fit your narrative 

You really do need to stop fabricating things that you know nothing about.

The airmail unloading and collection was mainly dealt with by full-time posties with the necessary licences to operate on the airfield. All mail does now come by container but still has to be sorted on arrival. Parcelforce probably comprised of 15%< of the volume.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

You really do need to stop fabricating things that you know nothing about.

The airmail unloading and collection was mainly dealt with by full-time posties with the necessary licences to operate on the airfield. All mail does now come by container but still has to be sorted on arrival. Parcelforce probably comprised of 15%< of the volume.

Pot kettle black classic 😀

7 hours ago, Maugholdmafia said:

As with most government positions, I believe they will offer to redeploy affected permanent staff first into other positions across the business. For example, a permanent redundancy in douglas sorting office may be offered a position at the southern delivery office which is currently filled by a temporary contract. The person on temp. contract then loses their job, albeit temporary. 

It seems to have come at short notice the decision, I wonder also if they will encourage posties close to retirement to retire early as well? I know they used to offer a voluntary redundancy scheme every year, but I understand this stopped as it was no longer feasible in terms of cost.  

21 is certainly a high number, probably a fifth of the workforce in DSO? 

What is the position of the CWU and will there be a press release? 

@Stu Peters can you comment on this?

No, it would be wrong for me to. All will become clear in the fullness of time.

4 hours ago, finlo said:

I think it's you that should be called Non believer!

An accurate observation when someone argues with themselves. 

12 hours ago, Wake Up Call said:

Number of non post office parcel deliveries per day? 20k+?

This shot is from MIC's own website showing the volume of stuff that they alone claim to shift, though it presumably includes off-island stuff too. If you add in all the other carriers' operations on the Island (DHL, FCX, Transmann etc) plus the Post Office, you can see the scale of the business.

Screenshot_20231103-060933_Samsung Internet.jpg

6 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

This shot is from MIC's own website showing the volume of stuff that they alone claim to shift, though it presumably includes off-island stuff too. If you add in all the other carriers' operations on the Island (DHL, FCX, Transmann etc) plus the Post Office, you can see the scale of the business.

Screenshot_20231103-060933_Samsung Internet.jpg

Loads of little vans whizzing around doing house to house with up to 150 packages per day. Add DHL etc, must be thousands per day.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, asitis said:

I have always been a supporter of the post office, in fact their next day service I used hundreds of times. Sadly my recent experience of the service is an arthritic snail would be quicker !

Snail mail?

• Haha 1

On 11/3/2023 at 6:21 AM, asitis said:

I have always been a supporter of the post office, in fact their next day service I used hundreds of times. Sadly my recent experience of the service is an arthritic snail would be quicker !

It used to be great, they were by far the best at mail and parcels. Then they privatised it in the UK and the prices went up and the service went down as always happens.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

It used to be great, they were by far the best at mail and parcels. Then they privatised it in the UK and the prices went up and the service went down as always happens.

Not always. British Leyland and their world beating vehicle designs. Post Office Telephones, 2 months wait for a phone and you might be sharing a party line. Then there's the unions!

• Like 1

I think having to go back half a century for an example says a lot. How's the British car industry these days? 

And having waited three years for fibre to be available in my area (2 years after MT said it would be) I now have to wait 6-8weeks for a survey, let alone an installation - despite the taxpayer still having to put tens of millions into infrastructure, 40 years after they were privatised (despite them having a monopoly for most of that time and huge profits for all of it).

ETA. I'm not sure if you're retired, or posting on your weekend off work. Either way you've probably got a union to thank, and the unions are still here.

Edited by A fool and his money.....
  • Thanks 2

On 11/3/2023 at 2:48 PM, Stu Peters said:

Snail mail?

To be fair it seems to be arthritic snail mail now. Between IOM Post and the SPC how to make an abysmal premium priced service even more abysmal. The typical Manx public sector reverse Midas touch that’s almost the IOMs trademark now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1