Council planning to purchase 'modern benches' for prom

HelmutX

49 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Actors? Scum of the earth, messing up our sets and stage. Wouldn’t have ever done that for them.

I worked with Tony McEvoy, and my dad. Easter Festival of full Length Plays we used to sleep on air beds in the changing rooms. During the adjudications dad used to stand in the wings, fag between his lips, smoke curling out onto stage, muttering darkly about actors and adjudicators.

Then we struck the set, then started building the set for the next night. Then sleep, then start again at 09.00. Painting from midday. That was the 18 foot flats.

Hopefully enough time for a tech run through before curtain up.

My time was when I was at school helping the Manx Operatic Society. The two memorable shows were Calamity Jane and Waltzes from Vienna. They seemed to have huge casts and lots of costume changes, plenty to do and the logistics were terrific. You have to admire the dedication of those producing and directing these things. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, buncha wankas said:

Where are the railings or boundary between grass public area and the road, did they not replace these because of cutting costs, seems they don’t want children and families playing there as they give direct access to the main road. 

It's actually on the walkway. 

30 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

Laxey have really nice benches along the promenade they all have memorial plaques on them perhaps they are sponsored, they are all in good condition and very well used and appreciated.

As seen here:

https://openbenches.org/#54.22521/-4.391629/17

If you click on "More Details" on each location, you not only get the full inscription but photos of the bench and the view from it.

(I posted this website up on the DBC topic, but it struck me as both obscure and touching in a very internetty sort of way - and well designed too)

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

As seen here:

https://openbenches.org/#54.22521/-4.391629/17

If you click on "More Details" on each location, you not only get the full inscription but photos of the bench and the view from it.

(I posted this website up on the DBC topic, but it struck me as both obscure and touching in a very internetty sort of way - and well designed too)

There's a few missing from the Peel area. I might make a little project out of adding them while out on my daily walk. It is a nice little site; thanks Roger.

• Like 1

walked along Douglas promenade yesterday  the  surface is breaking up in many areas now , many of the blue railings have rusted away , and the beach is now higher then the prom in places , 

I would have thought money would have been better spent tackling this bigger problem then throwing money at benches and nict to have's  or does no one including government want to talk about the elephant in the room , the whole promenade walkway is run down tired and a disgrace to any sea side resort , 

• Like 2

Not a bench, not Douglas, but the far north of Ramsey. But more interesting than a modern concrete block to sit on.

A piece of artwork that doubles as a collection point for bottles 'n' stuff. I have seen similar things elsewhere - children seem to like putting coloured waste plastic things into them to make random patterns.

20231025_135058-resized.jpg.238acc78e3162faa53a68439d214e862.jpg

• Like 2