We’re going to sulk until you come out

Cueey Lewis And The News

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

This is pretty simple.

Car abandoned in a remote area after 'police contact' I.e.an attempt to stop it.

Article 2 now in play. However you might think it nonsensical there is now a positive obligation to locate those individuals and ensure their safety. Any offences committed are of secondary consideration.

If in due course a body is found up there, the coroner will inquire whether their actions were reasonable? 

It reads to me, from the avialable information released by the police, that there is a/ no danger to the public b/ the occupants are unhurt c/ they are actively evading the police.  How do you therefore say article 2 is now in play?  There is nothing to say they are concerned for the welfare of the occupants, quite the contrary they are avoiding the police and there is more than one.  So therefore to to use your last question of reasonableness - is the police's actions reasonable if the road closure was inplace to effect arrests rather than any concern for article 2.  It seems excessive and nonsensical on the facts available andlocus of the vehicle.  Clearly there may be other information not in the public domain.

As we continue to hold the road closure in place in the area of The Sloc in the south of the island, we can now confirm that at approximately 00.10am this morning, Thursday 26th October 2023, Officers had cause to stop a vehicle in this area. However, during attempts to stop this vehicle it made off from Officers before being located at the top of the Sloc stationary with all occupants decamped from the vehicle. A road closure was put in place to contain the area whilst a number of Officers could conduct systematic searches to locate them.
At this time we strongly believe the occupants of the vehicle to still be in the area currently contained by the road closure. We can confirm the vehicle in question was not involved in a collision at any point, therefore we believe the occupants to be uninjured but are continuing to actively avoid the Police.
We will continue to hold the road closure in place while we continue to search for the occupants of the vehicle are located. We apologise for any inconvenience to the public and would ask that the public still avoid the area. We would encourage the public not to attend this area to help with the search as we have the appropriate trained officers working to locate these persons.
We can confirm there is no risk to the public

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrazyDave said:

Woukd they close a main road in the UK for the best part of a day for the same?

Possibly, Possibly not. I quite often see road closures over here where I think that, on the face of it, that's a bit OTT, but I don't have access to the full intelligence.

47 minutes ago, WTF said:

as flinty found out.

Actually it was more of a swivelly chair, with a broken arm. Oh, and a rather nice Range Rover which was a bit more armchairy 

7 minutes ago, Hmmmm said:

It reads to me, from the avialable information released by the police, that there is a/ no danger to the public b/ the occupants are unhurt c/ they are actively evading the police.  How do you therefore say article 2 is now in play?  There is nothing to say they are concerned for the welfare of the occupants, quite the contrary they are avoiding the police and there is more than one.  So therefore to to use your last question of reasonableness - is the police's actions reasonable if the road closure was inplace to effect arrests rather than any concern for article 2.  It seems excessive and nonsensical on the facts available andlocus of the vehicle.  Clearly there may be other information not in the public domain.

You don't know what you don't know. Assumptions can be made but have a tendency to bite you on the arse when they are made as to the welfare of persons as yet unaccounted for. Missing person inquiries are really stressful to run.

Reasonableness is an abstract in many respects, but ultimately, if it was your little Jimmy or Janet that had gone up there for larks, and was now wandering around in a T-shirt on a hillside, what would you see as reasonable at the subsequent inquiry?

23 minutes ago, Hmmmm said:

It reads to me, from the avialable information released by the police, that there is a/ no danger to the public b/ the occupants are unhurt c/ they are actively evading the police. 

There will literally be nobody else up there as it’s deserted and the nearest houses are miles away so surely they can just get MT to ping any phone activity in the Sloc area at around the same time? That and getting some drones up would seem a more effective use of time than shutting the road for hours on end. 

15 hours ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

This is getting ridiculous now

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-road-to-stay-closed-until-people-actively-avoiding-police-are-found-646560

They’ve spend the best part of a day looking for people who legged it from a car crash on the Sloc. They’ll be long gone. All this were going to keep the road closed until you come out is making them look stupid. 

The MR report said that the car was not damaged, just that it fled after officers attempt to stop it and that it was later found abandoned.

We have no idea of the circumstances, although, knowing the local plod, I wouldn't be surprised if it all started with a brake light bulb out or a tax disc a few days out of date.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

The MR report said that the car was not damaged, just that it fled after officers attempt to stop it and that it was later found abandoned.

We have no idea of the circumstances, although, knowing the local plod, I wouldn't be surprised if it all started with a brake light bulb out or a tax disc a few days out of date.

Possibly aggrieved that they couldn't waste more money on road side drug tests?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:
You don't know what you don't know. Assumptions can be made but have a tendency to bite you on the arse when they are made as to the welfare of persons as yet unaccounted for. Missing person inquiries are really stressful to run.

Reasonableness is an abstract in many respects, but ultimately, if it was your little Jimmy or Janet that had gone up there for larks, and was now wandering around in a T-shirt on a hillside, what would you see as reasonable at the subsequent inquiry?

I'm sorry Derek, that's nonsense and you know it.  If this were a missing persons' search it would be done in an entirely different way (coastguard involvement for example) and communication of it to the public would be different as well.  If they believe "the occupants to be uninjured but are continuing to actively avoid the Police", then if they were really concerned for their welfare, they would stop searching so aggressively and say they were worried.

• Like 1

Surely finger prints have been lifted from the car plus the police that stopped them will have clocked them so unless they weren’t local or they have no previous record they will be found.   I know these things I watch the Bill 🤣 .    They must have been up to no good if it had been a brake light they would not have scarpered I wouldn’t have thought, it is pretty useless speculating when the full facts are unknown .    Where was the handsome police dog ?   

1 hour ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

There will literally be nobody else up there as it’s deserted and the nearest houses are miles away so surely they can just get MT to ping any phone activity in the Sloc area at around the same time? That and getting some drones up would seem a more effective use of time than shutting the road for hours on end. 

Triangulation is patch on island. Fewer masts make it tricky. I use a case study of a murder over here in my lectures with a remote deposition site. The resource implications were extreme and in the end they were stomping around the wrong piece of ground.

34 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I'm sorry Derek, that's nonsense and you know it.  If this were a missing persons' search it would be done in an entirely different way (coastguard involvement for example) and communication of it to the public would be different as well.  If they believe "the occupants to be uninjured but are continuing to actively avoid the Police", then if they were really concerned for their welfare, they would stop searching so aggressively and say they were worried.

You run many MFH searches on Island?

I have.

And I've had the mighty S92 from Wales over for a few of them. But there are tricky protocols. The 'Coast' in 'Coastguard' does have a significance in tasking. 

I'm not sure where the force is up to with dogs at present, but for a while it's capability was very much diminished. 

Would I have run the comms differently? I don't know because like the rest of us, I don't have the full operational context.

Hope that helps.

• Like 3