Chris Thomas and the sea services agreement

joebean

Just now, Mercenary said:

Would agree. Would imagine reduction more to do with either reduced staffing or slower egress times in dark. Really it's a non-issue anyway as the winter sailings are not going to be filling 650+ pax.

That was my view too.  I can't think of any safety equipment that is not needed in the summer.  Perhaps a misremembered summary of the debate? 

6 hours ago, Frances said:

Isn't the 658 figure that of the Ben and under which safety regs the Manxman with its totally different layout + safety system are operating - I wonder if they could do an evacuation in a force 6 let alone a force 8/9 - to me it's looking much too like a summer season cruise boat not a lifeline (or even a reliable link). My guess is that Arrow will soon take over the freight.

its not just the emergency facilities on the ship that are considered , you can get about 14 people into a rescue helicopter at a push  the average RNLI lifeboat perhaps 40  ,  not much else is going to come to their aid in a  major catastrophic  failure or sinking  especially in bad weather ,  thats one reason  why the wave height and forecasts are taken into consideration   prior to proceeding on passage and passenger numbers radioed to the MCA (coastguard)

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

It does seem to appear a bit top heavy even when loaded, the old boats with their sharp stern seemed to cut through the waves more easily this one seems to have a blunt front a bit like a child’s boat .   I wonder who approved the design ?    

You might want to read that again, unless you think it’s sailing stern first.

Boat design theory has changed a lot. The bulbous “nose” below the water line, the covered sloping bow and fore deck are all supposed to improve aqua and aero dynamics. At least whilst going ahead.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I'd guess an expert on boat design. 

Poor @Fred the shred is confused. As far as I know the Manxman was designed and built by the firm that made it Hyundai Mipo Dockyard. 

I think its probably fair to say that they are experts

The design was under the review of and supervision of Houlder. Again it would be a brave person to question their reputation as experts.

Still confused?

Edited by Happier diner

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Poor @Fred the shred is confused. As far as I know the Manxman was designed and built by the firm that made it Hyundai Mipo Dockyard. 

I think its probably fair to say that they are experts

The design was under the review of and supervision of Houlder. Again it would be a brave person to question their reputation as experts.

Still confused?

TBF, he is saying who approved the design, not who designed it.  It would have been designed to meet certain specifications and would have been approved by the client, the Steam Packet.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Gladys said:

TBF, he is saying who approved the design, not who designed it.  It would have been designed to meet certain specifications and would have been approved by the client, the Steam Packet.

I see what you are sating. That would be Houlder then. Not sure if there was an actual approval as ships are designed and built by the shipbuilder. But I think that we can feel comforted that this has been done right. 

look at the timetable and the significant variation in departure times from Heysham (which of course impact on the departure + return of the night boat) - are these caused by harbour work or tidal restrictions in not enough water to turn around to access the ramp. For Foot passengers with only 1 train connection a day from Lancaster this can mean a 2 hr wait at Heysham and a mid evening arrival in Douglas.

5 hours ago, Gladys said:

Sorry Gladys. Im not really sure it works like tha. Does it. Did you approve the design of your last car? No of course not. You trusted that the car maker is the best at that.

A better example might be if you wanted a formula one car. You would look around for the best makers of formula 1 cars. One at an affordable to you price .Making a formula1 car encompasses the design. In fact the design is the most important bit. You wouldnt go to the best formula1 car maker and then get someone to approve the design. What  you might do to protect your investment is engage someone to advise you or even peer review the offering.

TBH I'm not sure what @Fred the shred is on about. 

21 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Sorry Gladys. Im not really sure it works like tha. Does it. Did you approve the design of your last car? No of course not. You trusted that the car maker is the best at that.

A better example might be if you wanted a formula one car. You would look around for the best makers of formula 1 cars. One at an affordable to you price .Making a formula1 car encompasses the design. In fact the design is the most important bit. You wouldnt go to the best formula1 car maker and then get someone to approve the design. What  you might do to protect your investment is engage someone to advise you or even peer review the offering.

TBH I'm not sure what @Fred the shred is on about. 

No, but I didn't commission the construction of the car so wouldn’t specify it.  I would be deciding if that particular  model suited my purposes before buying it.

Not sure about the Formula 1 car as the manufacturers are heavily involved in the racing, the shipyard isn't. 

Fred's point is, I think, who had the final sign off of the purchase with that spec and that has to be the Steam Packet.  So, who is responsible for being sure it meets our needs.  Of course others designed and built it, nobody is disputing that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

No, but I didn't commission the construction of the car so wouldn’t specify it.  I would be deciding if that particular  model suited my purposes before buying it.

Not sure about the Formula 1 car as the manufacturers are heavily involved in the racing, the shipyard isn't. 

Fred's point is, I think, who had the final sign off of the purchase with that spec and that has to be the Steam Packet.  So, who is responsible for being sure it meets our needs.  Of course others designed and built it, nobody is disputing that.

The ship will have been specified by the SPCo's advisors. This will have been discussed and agreed with the builder before work started. 

I am struggling to understand what 'approve' even means in this context. 

Approval is when you pay the deposit.