Tynwald members get pay rise

Banker

4 hours ago, Beelzebub3 said:

I remember MHKs stating there would be winner's and loser's during the last pay negotiations all I see are winner's.

As the DOI member with delegated responsibility for three key operational areas, for no extra pay (under this new rule) than those more interested in showboating, I’m sure you’ll understand why I disagree.

7 hours ago, code99 said:

IMHO, none of them deserve pay rises/ uplifts: "Ministers, the Speaker and president receive uplifts of 15% while the Chief Minister gets an extra 30% and chairmen of the statutory boards get an additional 5%."

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-politicians-get-6-pay-rise-647334

7 hours ago, Two-lane said:

"Ministers, the Speaker and president receive uplifts of 15% while the Chief Minister gets an extra 30% "

Where on earth did that come from? Does anyone know how these increases were decided?

11 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Not pay rises, they’re an increase on the basic MHK salary for taking extra responsibilities.

I chuckled reading through this thread, as quite a few people seem to have got hold of the wrong end of the stick. On investigation though, it appears that they haven't so much grabbed the wrong end of the stick as had it thrust up their nether regions by IOM Today's shocking standard of journalism.

"The 6% increase will take MHKs’ basic pay from £71,610 to £75,906, while MLCs will see their salaries increased from £67,603 to £71,659.

Ministers, the Speaker and president receive uplifts of 15% while the Chief Minister gets an extra 30% and chairmen of the statutory boards get an additional 5%."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

As the DOI member with delegated responsibility for three key operational areas, for no extra pay (under this new rule) than those more interested in showboating, I’m sure you’ll understand why I disagree.

And you'd be wrong to do so.  As I showed in my analysis of the original proposals (which were basically unchanged, the relative positions will be the same despite several percentage pay rises) an MHK with Departmental responsibilities had a payrise of over a £1K in the new system.  You'll now be down to just over breakeven, having taken over to PO Chair (the extra went down from 10% to 5%), but not worse than before.

The only person who lost out personally was Watterson as Speaker plus any MLCs after they were re-elected since September 2021 (though it didn't stop them re-standing).

Edited by Roger Mexico
Add link

This is all very dispiriting.

If MHK ‘s were awarded a 1% increase you’d have people saying they don’t deserve it. They are useless, they are a bunch of idiots, they’re only in it for the money etc etc.

Tell you what. If I was an MHK and was subjected to all this negativity I would be tempted to say well fuck it. I’ll just sit here and draw my salary because anything I say or do won’t be appreciated and I’ll just be subjected to ridicule. Why bother?

Fortunately we have politicians who don’t take that view

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

Misleading headline in the link. It’s 7.7% taking basic pay to £53,000. There is a contributory pension scheme, a loss of office compensation scheme, no ministerial or deputy ministerial uplift - although that is currently being examined and there are 49 of them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

This is all very dispiriting.

If MHK ‘s were awarded a 1% increase you’d have people saying they don’t deserve it. They are useless, they are a bunch of idiots, they’re only in it for the money etc etc.

Tell you what. If I was an MHK and was subjected to all this negativity I would be tempted to say well fuck it. I’ll just sit here and draw my salary because anything I say or do won’t be appreciated and I’ll just be subjected to ridicule. Why bother?

Fortunately we have politicians who don’t take that view

Until they get there 10 years in ! Watch how many dodge the bullet at our next elections by not standing. 

Edited by Numbnuts

4 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Think so but they get enhanced pension benefits . Didn’t Boot and Perkins claim they had been unfairly treated .

They lost though. They didn't get the loser's payout because they were deemed too old. In the end I seem to remember they settled for 50%. But what if they hadn't stood for re-election? Presumably they wouldn't be entitled seeing as it was their choice rather than being hoofed out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Two-lane said:

How many hours a week do you work?

there was a time when MHK's served in 3 different departments  and sat on statutory boards  , thats how they learned the job and had an idea of what  was going on in government and how the system worked   , 

14 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I certainly understand you feel that you are underpaid as a DOI member although to be fair if you were to be paid for performance of the DOI you would actually owe us money. The DOI is the worst department in government for wasting taxpayers money, could you put your name to anything you have done to save us money, just one thing that makes you worth the extra money paid to you for responsibility for 3 key operational areas? I know what the answer will be before you reply!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, woolley said:

They lost though. They didn't get the loser's payout because they were deemed too old. In the end I seem to remember they settled for 50%. But what if they hadn't stood for re-election? Presumably they wouldn't be entitled seeing as it was their choice rather than being hoofed out.

No they won and got six months basic salary and the pension.  The only thing they 'lost' on was an appeal against the amount, where they had been either so dishonest or so detached from reality that they tried to claim their salary was the higher amount was what they would have been paid under the new scheme that started after they had been chucked out by the electorate.  Unfortunately the Government lawyers were too dumb to point out they asked the wrong figure and the tribunal accepted it.  When the amount was appealed, Boot and Perkins climbed down claiming they were being persecuted.