Tynwald members get pay rise

Banker

17 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

When Glenda Jackson became an MP she left showbiz behind to be a politician. I left being a broadcasting gobshite behind. You should be thrilled.

I'm sure your erstwhile colleagues in broadcasting will be delighted to see you describing their employment in that fashion?

How aloof you have become Stu.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I'm sure your erstwhile colleagues in broadcasting will be delighted to see you describing their employment in that fashion?

I prefer alert. The world needs more lerts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Get over yourself.

He isn’t calling anyone else a gobshite or even insinuating that they maybe, he is having a pop at his own radio persona.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

41 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

When Glenda Jackson became an MP she left showbiz behind to be a politician. I left being a broadcasting gobshite behind. You should be thrilled.

Does that just make you just a gobshite now then ? Asking for a friend …..

Edited by Numbnuts

1 minute ago, Numbnuts said:

Does that just make you a gobshite now then ? Asking for a friend …..

Tell your friend I was brought up to speak the truth as I see it, be prepared to acknowledge that sometimes I’ll be wrong and to pin my colours to the mast. If that makes me a bit of a gobshite, then so mote it be (and I’m not a Mason). It’s not as common here as where I grew up, allegedly because in a small community there are consequences of speaking your mind.
The rise in social media and use of pseudonyms means that more people are able to express sometimes ridiculous views without consequence, whereas in a lively discussion in person (at the pub maybe) they’d be told to STFU.
If I post something on MF, people know who I am and something about me and my background and can agree or disagree, but I can only guess at who irritants like HiVibes and Two Lane are. I can also disagree with others like Declan, Mexico and Helix whilst appreciating and considering their points of view, but it’s still too much like talking into a void. At least on FB you usually have a better chance of knowing who you’re talking to.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Tell your friend I was brought up to speak the truth as I see it, be prepared to acknowledge that sometimes I’ll be wrong and to pin my colours to the mast. If that makes me a bit of a gobshite, then so mote it be (and I’m not a Mason). It’s not as common here as where I grew up, allegedly because in a small community there are consequences of speaking your mind.
The rise in social media and use of pseudonyms means that more people are able to express sometimes ridiculous views without consequence, whereas in a lively discussion in person (at the pub maybe) they’d be told to STFU.
If I post something on MF, people know who I am and something about me and my background and can agree or disagree, but I can only guess at who irritants like HiVibes and Two Lane are. I can also disagree with others like Declan, Mexico and Helix whilst appreciating and considering their points of view, but it’s still too much like talking into a void. At least on FB you usually have a better chance of knowing who you’re talking to.

Fair comments. I’ve never been a void though but get why you think I might be . 

41 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

The withdom of Mike once again raitheth itth head. 

image.png.db0ae9fc8847dbe5b78962b19f4ecbf2.png

Edited by The Phantom
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, code99 said:

@Non-Believer I though your question to Stu Peters in the Airport thread "Just for the record and for the benefit of the taxpayer, who are we holding accountable for the airport coming off track and flying becoming unbearable?" was spot on. Did you get a reply? 

Oddly, no, not as yet. I suspect it will go into the same "accountability closed" file as the power station and the Liverpool Terminal.

• Thanks 1

Oddly, no, not as yet. I suspect it will go into the same "accountability closed" file as the power station and the Liverpool Terminal.

or perhaps the answers to these questions are being kept "private" or as "quiet victories".

When you buy a car with faults, it’s more important you fix them than concentrate on the previous owner’s lack of maintenance. It might be rewarding to provide heads on stakes, but their owners are mostly long gone and could probably justify their decisions over the years anyway. My focus, and that of the new Board, is to improve the customer experience, comply with evolving mandates and reduce the cost to the Treasury. That will take some short term pain for long term gain.

15 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

When you buy a car with faults, it’s more important you fix them than concentrate on the previous owner’s lack of maintenance.

The previous owner wasn't being funded by the hard-pressed taxpayers.

This well-worn, eternal "Lessons will be learned, move forward without looking back" mantra is nothing more than the standard get out clause for a system that doesn't have the political balls to apply accountability and which is structured and owned by by those who operate within it.

Stu, how many times have we heard the "lessons will be learned" guff? How many times have we funded completely unsuitable-for-post people who have operated with no oversight and left a trail of disaster in their wake? I and others have lost count.

You politicians are merely there to provide the whole, rotten shitshow with a veneer of "democratic respectability". You have no control and no influence other than the job of the post-event handwringing and the issuing of excuses. Look at Liverpool Terminal and the Promenade for outstanding examples.

#clubtynwald- the best club in the world.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

But you're missing the whole point about anonymous social media.  It should enable readers to consider what people say there on the arguments they make, not on who they are.  Obviously various posters will develop track records and you can judge them on that, so you know that HiVibes is mainly going to be trying to wind you up or whatever, but you don't need to know who they are in real life to make that judgement.

If you're saying you need to know someone's identity before you can really know what to think about what they said, then you're making the same mistake as all the people on MF who will attack everything that Rob Callister or Chris Thomas or even yourself say or do, purely on personal grounds.  There's far too much of that in Manx politics anyway, often based on the most petty of motives.  And of course it works the other way as well with others getting away with things because of who they are.  But it's no better than the "My Party Right or Wrong" mindset that you get in the UK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1