Tynwald members get pay rise

Banker

13 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

I never said you lose the right just that you’re a bloody hypocrite if you choose to publicly do so. Poor Joney on her £75K salary and gold plated pension trying to fix the world. 

That doesn't make much sense, she's a politician and of course she's going to say things publicly, it's her job. This smacks of jealousy. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

I never said you lose the right just that you’re a bloody hypocrite if you choose to publicly do so. Poor Joney on her £75K salary and gold plated pension trying to fix the world. 

The logical extension of your view is that she should either sit in the Keys and take the salary and do nothing about poverty etc. OR resign, get a minimum wage job and campaign about poverty.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

I think the sooner it’s realised that MHK’s/MLC’s actually have very little or nothing to do with most decisions apart from rubber stamping what CS have decided we might be able to move on. CS have clearly far too much influence , not surprising really , and almost like a runaway train. Till that is addressed nothings changing and won’t make any difference how much MHK’s salaries are. It will only get dealt with when the money runs out and seemingly the way it’s going that’s not long. 

I agree to some extent - but my understanding is, MHKs make the policies and it’s the civil servant’s job to turn those policies into practical operational processes and output - so operational decisions should be 100% taken by CS’s - but based on policies formulated by elected representatives. That’s how it should work (IMHO) anyway…

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

This smacks of jealousy. 

I’m not jealous in the least. I’m just pointing out the hypocrisy of the situation. Like Prince Harry campaigning about climate change whilst going on holiday in a private jet. Or Daffers and her new bright red “saving the world car” that isn’t saving the world in the least and is, simply, a £50K toy that she can well afford on her salary. This current crop of out of touch hypocrites really seem to be the worst of the worst. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Steve_Christian said:

I agree to some extent - but my understanding is, MHKs make the policies and it’s the civil servant’s job to turn those policies into practical operational processes and output - so operational decisions should be 100% taken by CS’s - but based on policies formulated by elected representatives. That’s how it should work (IMHO) anyway…

And that’s everyone’s understanding. But reality is am sure very different. The majority of MHK’s haven’t a clue about the departments they head up. Dr Alex Allinson am sure has very limited knowledge of financial issues and dam sure Laurie Hooper has zero knowledge of health. And very debatable what Tim Crookal knows about infrastructure despite his second go at it. And you can’t convince me Ashford knew anything about health despite his self promoting. Nope , all these ministers are totally reliant on the CS and the CS know it . Your right policies should be formulated by Ministers but in most cases they have zero insight into the requirements of the tasks. 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 4

Just now, Numbnuts said:

And that’s everyone’s understanding. But reality is am sure very different. The majority of MHK’s haven’t a clue about the departments they head up. Dr Alex Allinson Am sure has very limited knowledge of financial issues and dam sure Laurie Hooper has zero knowledge of health. And very debatable what Tim Crookal knows about infrastructure despite his second go at it. And you can’t convince me Ashford knew anything about health despite his self promoting. Nope , all these ministers are totally reliant on the CS and the CS know it . Your right policies should be formulated by Ministers but in most cases they have zero insight into the requirements of the tasks. 

Again I can’t disagree - my point was around decision making. Operational decision making (based on policy) should 100% be with the CS’s - hence my post disputing the lack of ‘decision making’ by MHKs. I guess my hope is the policies they produce represent the will of the people - and based on that the CS’s job is to turn that into action. For example - TC doesn’t need to know about how to drive a bus, but should be able to represent what the public expect from a bus service. Ideal world I guess. 

3 hours ago, Two-lane said:

I wonder if she got a discount for promoting the company's interests:

398256986_838397781624998_8482609824357764947_n.thumb.jpg.79dc95461c049c6b4810dd01c4869209.jpg

WTAF

Who thought that was a good picture?

You lot deserve all you get voting in people like that...........

As long as electricity is made in Pulrose, EVs on the rock are a total waste of time and with their Lithium legacy, worse than ICE's

Edited by Blade Runner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, english zloty said:

She'd be more at home on a broomstick. Talk about rubbing it in. 

Yes , no humility being shown there is there. By all means buy a fancy car but don’t get your picture taken with it. Wonder if there will be a picture if it breaks down or the battery has to be replaced in years to come at stupid price. 

• Like 1