Bishop V Hooper

Fred the shred

6 hours ago, Manx Bean said:

And now the big guns are interfering..for me personally I have nothing against any church or religion, but it doesn’t belong in 21st Century politics and certainly not in Government. If there should be a religious representative by virtue of percentage of population, it would be a tight call between the Muslim faith and Living Hope!

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/archbishop-of-york-calls-for-public-consultation-before-bishop-vote-changes/

This thinly veiled blackmail threat is pretty unbecoming for an Archbishop.

I doubt I'll be the only one will look at this crude intervention and think. "He can just fuck off, and take his Bishop with him."

Edited by Nellie
  • Like 10

"I also believe that such a change should not happen without wider public consultation. I would be happy to facilitate such consultation within our parishes if that would be helpful."

What's the possibility that I will be consulted, seeing as one definition of parish is:

" a local church community composed of the members or constituents of a Protestant church"

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Nellie said:

This thinly veiled blackmail threat is pretty unbecoming for an Archbishop.

I doubt I'll be the only one will look at this crude intervention and think. "He can just fuck off, and take his Bishop with him."

I don’t think it was blackmail. He was merely trying in part to influence and persuade, putting across his viewpoint. Either way, get rid of the Bishops vote, and the island could lose the Bishop altogether. It could share a UK Bishop, in part creating much division. I’m sure eventually that our politicos won’t stop at the Bishop, their next target will be the Leftenant Guvenor. They will want El Presidente and his technicolour dreamcoat to replace the current LG. Maybe some politicos also feel that the Monarchy should play no role? 

I am not a great religious person by any means, but I respect people’s religious sentiments and views. What has Hooperman actually achieved? A lot of bullshit, waffle, playing to the gallery and grandstanding. In the meantime, in the great debate, he lost out to Rob Callister, and his amendment, whereby a full public consultation has to be carried out. 

Meanwhile, Hooperman as a Minister of the Department of Health and Social Care, has made a complete mess of both the Department and hasn’t covered him in glory regarding Manx Care. 

Edited by 2112
  • Thanks 2

Yes just what the health service needed, quayle, the moron Ashford and now this arrogant tool.

The service is on its knees, personally I couldn't care less if the Bishop has a vote, he's likely to have a few brain cells, which is more than can be said for these twerps !

Edited by asitis
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Two-lane said:

"I also believe that such a change should not happen without wider public consultation. I would be happy to facilitate such consultation within our parishes if that would be helpful."

What's the possibility that I will be consulted, seeing as one definition of parish is:

" a local church community composed of the members or constituents of a Protestant church"

According to Rob there will be a public consultation after keys voted in favour 

I hope it will be really well publicised otherwise the god botherers will organise a concerted effort and the people who couldn’t give a monkeys will be oblivious.   My first impression is that the Bishop of York was blackmailing by threatening to withdraw the position of Bishop of Soda and Man and we would share with Liverpool as the Catholics do, this could rebound on him because most of the people  I speak to are easy on having the Bishop in Tynwald but dead against him having a vote so they are liable to tell him to do one.   These current politicians are pathetic they have not got the confidence of their convictions they want to be everyone’s best friend not a leader amongst them.    I am really disappointed in Rob Callister another pleaser.

1 hour ago, asitis said:

Agreed but they just might tell him what the realities of the situation are at the moment !

But they wouldn't because we and they know from the behaviour of DHSC/Manx Care over recent years that the reaction to exposing reality isn't trying to fix things but to persecute those exposing it.  And we know from his behaviour that Hooper is only too happy to support that.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

But they wouldn't because we and they know from the behaviour of DHSC/Manx Care over recent years that the reaction to exposing reality isn't trying to fix things but to persecute those exposing it.  And we know from his behaviour that Hooper is only too happy to support that.

All agreed, sadly. However the reality of the place is at best a shambles and he is clearly the wrong person to have any positive influence in any way. 

The brains trust of Ramsey, that oracle of sense Minister Hooperman has spoken. He says that when the the Manx public speak in the consultation they could say that there could ultimately remove the Bishop from Legco altogether. In the meantime the island won’t have a Bishop. Whether you are religious, non religious or aetheist, the ultimate removal of the Bishop will also amount to a loss in a historical aspect, the Island having had a Bishop for many hundreds of years. 

The Manx public in its consultation may suggest the elimination of Legco, A democratically elected upper chamber, and a democratically elected Chief Minister. Unintended consequences. 

It’s funny though as most public consultation exercises are a waste of time, and recommendations aren’t adopted, or at least cherry picked for positive headlines. 

Perhaps a public consultation exercise into the Department of Health and Social Care and Manx Care and its Minister is long over due? What would the Manx public say?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if anyone has thought that the Church could appoint a  religious representative for Tynwald and Keys, Being truly representative of the whole island and take over the roles of Speaker and President, being truly independent and impartial of constituency issues, Allowing the all 24 MHK's to fulfil  their roles and saving the wages of the President.  

• Confused 2

The Manx public will not be asked for their opinions on LegCo it will be simply if the Bishop will have a vote you can depend on that.    I hope the Manx public will not be cherry picked as has happened in other consultations.   This is just muddying the water from one brain dead politician who has failed in every position he has undertaken.

• Like 3