Bishop V Hooper

Fred the shred

39 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

I don’t think there’s a simple answer. Yes, politicians need to ‘do something’ and are constantly trying to do that. But I think we need a wider discussion about what people can reasonably expect of our NHS and who should pay (much) more to fund it.

People reasonably expect a service that their taxes pay for to work. Just like they expect a letter to get there when they pay a stupid amount of money to put a stamp on it. 

46 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

But I think we need a wider discussion about what people can reasonably expect of our NHS and who should pay (much) more to fund it. I suspect (looking around some waiting rooms) that those using the service stopped paying for it many years ago (if ever) so there’s an immediate disconnect before you go an inch further.

I said "costs aside" because that is a different problem. The kind of people in your above quote are probably the old and the unemployable. In both cases they are not relevant. The old people have done work that may still be of use today, and they did so in return for a salary that included health care. The unemployable are simply part of a civilised society. You could get rid of them, but a lot of people would also take the opportunity to get rid of politicians and disk jockeys.

The money that should have been available to support them has been spent on runways and landing stages.

50 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

I don’t think there’s a simple answer. Yes, politicians need to ‘do something’ and are constantly trying to do that.

I do not care that it is not simple. For £71,000 apiece I expect the difficult to be done. Your initial post made it clear this has not been done. If Hooper, or any other prospective Minister does not think they can achieve anything, they should not accept the post. But the reality is, they like the status, and as soon as they are appointed they represent the Civil Service and not the electorate.

Trying is not enough. Achieving is the only benchmark.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Gladys said:

Penalties from who to whom? 

“Where Manx Care fails to comply with a direction (Mandate) given to it by the Department…the Council of Ministers under subsection (4) may direct Manx Care to discharge such of its functions, and in such manner and within such period or periods, as may be specified in the direction…” etc, etc, etc.

To ‘cancel’ our current Manx Care provider/ agreement would be immensely difficult - ManxCare Act 2021 makes this very clear.

I don’t know if anyone has read Bernie Moffatts take on this, via his Celtic League Facebook post. He gives a potted history of the islands bishop, and is critical of Hooperman. He ultimately opines, why go for the Bishop when they should be reforming Legco etc. 

2 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I don’t think there’s a simple answer. Yes, politicians need to ‘do something’ and are constantly trying to do that. But I think we need a wider discussion about what people can reasonably expect of our NHS and who should pay (much) more to fund it. I suspect (looking around some waiting rooms) that those using the service stopped paying for it many years ago (if ever) so there’s an immediate disconnect before you go an inch further.

We are paying for inefficiencies in a long term inefficient system.  Adding money on its own doesn't fix these inefficiencies. The appointment system and multiple separate medical systems are a case in point.

Ask the actual medical workers what improvements need to be made over 3/6/12 months and go from there.  All the strategies and initiatives from Cope and friends have achieved nothing.

Alf has already hinted that Manx care have 12 months to prove themselves, although I fancy alf might be gone before that period is up.

One does have to ask, what are the three members for health doing all day? 

• Like 1

We have an ineffectual Tynwald which is systemically incapable of challenging a corrupt government. An executive which in Ranson was adjudged (after full hearing of Minister Hooper's thoroughly dishonest defence..'lies and more than one' was the judicial finding) to be acting in an oppressive arbitrary and unconstitutional manner.

Rather than remove the ecclesiastical ethics module from Tynwald, should we not be enhancing the Bishop's contribution?. Stripping the state of church (ethics) influence occurred in post WW2 communism....

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

I don’t know if anyone has read Bernie Moffatts take on this, via his Celtic League Facebook post. He gives a potted history of the islands bishop, and is critical of Hooperman. He ultimately opines, why go for the Bishop when they should be reforming Legco etc. 

Could you provide a link please.

31 minutes ago, Hocus Pocus said:

Rather than remove the ecclesiastical ethics module from Tynwald, should we not be enhancing the Bishop's contribution?. Stripping the state of church (ethics) influence occurred in post WW2 communism....

You don't think there can be ethics outside of religion? Or that a government can be ethical without religion? You do realise there is such a thing as secular morality right?

• Like 1

As above, there is more to reforming Legco that removing the vote of the Bishop but it can't be done in a single vote on the Bishops position.

It has to be done by public awareness of the situation regarding Tynwald, the Keys and Legco to find the public awareness of the whole situation.

Given this information, I believe the Manx public swould indeed vote to remove or reduce the role of Legco.

Who is going to provide the Public with that info????

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

As above, there is more to reforming Legco that removing the vote of the Bishop but it can't be done in a single vote on the Bishops position.

It has to be done by public awareness of the situation regarding Tynwald, the Keys and Legco to find the public awareness of the whole situation.

Given this information, I believe the Manx public swould indeed vote to remove or reduce the role of Legco.

Who is going to provide the Public with that info????

Perhaps a island referendum on the subject, with various options put forward may be an idea?

Whatever, the case, Bishop or no Bishop, this whole shenanigans with Hooperman is pure political indulgence. The island is in a mess, and it speaks volumes that both Hooperman thinks islanders deem removing the Bishop vote, is top priority. What has Hooperman done for the constituents of Ramsey? Created jobs? Actively lobbied and brought businesses into the town? Helped struggling businesses to survive financial difficulties by providing help and support? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...