Facebook Subscription

Amadeus

21 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

You don’t REALLY say that to the poor person on the checkout do you?

Blimey 🙄

Depends how grumpy I am that particular day.  To be honest, when they ask me if I want a loyalty card, I usually just tell them I'm not very loyal. 

It's just a personal thing.  I know Google has and sells all my data, not much I can really do about that.  Everything else I try to limit as much as possible, nothing wrong with wanting a bit of privacy and not to have my life monetized or scrutinized by someone else. 

3 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Exactly.  Same with any kind of store or loyalty card. I purposely don't have any for this very reason and the store workers asking me do I have/want a loyalty card always seem a bit confused when I tell them 'no, you already profit from my shopping, you don't need to profit from my shopping data'. 

So they profit even more from your shopping. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Depends how grumpy I am that particular day.  To be honest, when they ask me if I want a loyalty card, I usually just tell them I'm not very loyal. 

It's just a personal thing.  I know Google has and sells all my data, not much I can really do about that.  Everything else I try to limit as much as possible, nothing wrong with wanting a bit of privacy and not to have my life monetized or scrutinized by someone else. 

The curious things people concern themselves about, and the conceit involved in thinking that someone gives a toss enough to "scrutinise" your life!

The missus received 20 odd quid in cash vouchers to spend in Tesco from the loyalty card this week. Definitely worth having, and a load of "additional points" vouchers for future purchases too. If they want to "monetise" our shopping basket by sticking it through an impersonal algorithm, we don't care. It certainly doesn't hurt us. Quite the opposite, and we don't see a problem. It's highly unlikely that anyone is getting a sleazy thrill from poring over what we buy! In reality it's just meaningless data.

If it enhances profits it will keep prices down and embellish the share price, dividends and taxes paid. All good.

https://www.marketingweek.com/the-technology-of-customer-understanding/

https://itsallabet.com/2020/10/31/tesco-clubcard-customerloyalty-is-dead-its-all-about-membership-clubcard-tesco-loyalty-data-datamining-algorithms/

Edited by woolley
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I got it, but I have Instagram too so they offered it to me for £11.99/month.

Meta don’t know the Isle of Man exists. So we keep getting weird shit like this. Not as bad as what’s happening to Hospice though. They’re not allowed to advertise their lottery or car draws because Meta don’t recognise their GSC licence as sufficient to advertise gambling products.

1 hour ago, woolley said:

It's highly unlikely that anyone is getting a sleazy thrill from poring over what we buy! In reality it's just meaningless data.

I don't honestly think a person scrutinizes my data, I know it's all algorithms etc. 

Knowing what firms like Facebook do with that information and also how much regulators and therefore Govs can demand and see, it's just me trying to stay off big brother's radar a little and retain a little privacy in this world of over sharing, over regulation and govt meddling.  I just don't trust any of them.   

I accept that someone I have just met could go on FB, see my friends, photos etc, Linkedin to see my job experience, qualifications etc.  But then take this a stage further, if it was the UK, they could look at a UK Company I might own or direct, see its accounts, my address, earnings etc.  Look at people being cancelled for something they wrote on Twitter 10 years ago for instance. 

I'd prefer to generally play the grey man and only release what I want.  With cookies on websites and Google seemingly listening to what you're saying, just look at the film Minority Report for some context on the focused personal advertising.  It's like the digital version of cliched American oversharing - within a minute of meeting you, they'll be telling you detailed personal information about themselves.  Why?  I don't want to know what you had for breakfast, or your latest revelation from your therapy. 

Yes, I know, tinfoil hat.  

If you knew me, you wouldn't know much about me really.  I've been told often I play my cards very close to my chest and regularly do the complete opposite of what people are expecting.  

E.g. Mrs Phantom went for IVF a few years ago.  The firm asked if they could keep my sperm for research and training.  If you can appreciate my views on my data then you can imagine what my response was to a private company wanting to hold onto my DNA!  I told them frankly I'd like to actually see them burn it as soon as the cycles were over. 

2 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I don't honestly think a person scrutinizes my data, I know it's all algorithms etc. 

Knowing what firms like Facebook do with that information and also how much regulators and therefore Govs can demand and see, it's just me trying to stay off big brother's radar a little and retain a little privacy in this world of over sharing, over regulation and govt meddling.  I just don't trust any of them.   

I accept that someone I have just met could go on FB, see my friends, photos etc, Linkedin to see my job experience, qualifications etc.  But then take this a stage further, if it was the UK, they could look at a UK Company I might own or direct, see its accounts, my address, earnings etc.  Look at people being cancelled for something they wrote on Twitter 10 years ago for instance. 

I'd prefer to generally play the grey man and only release what I want.  With cookies on websites and Google seemingly listening to what you're saying, just look at the film Minority Report for some context on the focused personal advertising.  It's like the digital version of cliched American oversharing - within a minute of meeting you, they'll be telling you detailed personal information about themselves.  Why?  I don't want to know what you had for breakfast, or your latest revelation from your therapy. 

Yes, I know, tinfoil hat.  

If you knew me, you wouldn't know much about me really.  I've been told often I play my cards very close to my chest and regularly do the complete opposite of what people are expecting.  

E.g. Mrs Phantom went for IVF a few years ago.  The firm asked if they could keep my sperm for research and training.  If you can appreciate my views on my data then you can imagine what my response was to a private company wanting to hold onto my DNA!  I told them frankly I'd like to actually see them burn it as soon as the cycles were over. 

I understand what you are saying. Fair enough. I just don't get the concerns, I guess. I don't see that any of it matters.

I manage to go through life owning a business with my data "out there" and I can't think that it's ever done me or the firm any harm. I suppose as an employer we have searched prospective employees online, and if there was something bad there it might have an influence, though not necessarily. People are not expected to be perfect angels. On the other hand, somebody without an online "history" at all might ring more alarm bells as being slightly odd.

I'm with you on the dna. I'd probably draw the line before that point too, but there's a world of difference between that level of intrusion and which breakfast cereals I favour.

1 hour ago, Ringy Rose said:

I got it, but I have Instagram too so they offered it to me for £11.99/month.

Meta don’t know the Isle of Man exists. So we keep getting weird shit like this. Not as bad as what’s happening to Hospice though. They’re not allowed to advertise their lottery or car draws because Meta don’t recognise their GSC licence as sufficient to advertise gambling products.

Apparently, it's more expensive on mobile, as they add in the app store cut.

2 hours ago, woolley said:

The curious things people concern themselves about, and the conceit involved in thinking that someone gives a toss enough to "scrutinise" your life!

The missus received 20 odd quid in cash vouchers to spend in Tesco from the loyalty card this week. Definitely worth having, and a load of "additional points" vouchers for future purchases too. If they want to "monetise" our shopping basket by sticking it through an impersonal algorithm, we don't care. It certainly doesn't hurt us. Quite the opposite, and we don't see a problem. It's highly unlikely that anyone is getting a sleazy thrill from poring over what we buy! In reality it's just meaningless data.

If it enhances profits it will keep prices down and embellish the share price, dividends and taxes paid. All good.

https://www.marketingweek.com/the-technology-of-customer-understanding/

https://itsallabet.com/2020/10/31/tesco-clubcard-customerloyalty-is-dead-its-all-about-membership-clubcard-tesco-loyalty-data-datamining-algorithms/

Target figured out a man's daughter was pregnant before he did.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2012/02/16/how-target-figured-out-a-teen-girl-was-pregnant-before-her-father-did/

The bit that's arguably quite scary about it, is not the fact that you buy a meal deal on a Tuesday.

It's that that, and a million other little snippets about you, are collated, sold and swapped, simply to sell you things better or make you keep scrolling.

Knowing every little detail that makes you tick is the commodity.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

If you can appreciate my views on my data then you can imagine what my response was to a private company wanting to hold onto my DNA!  I told them frankly I'd like to actually see them burn it as soon as the cycles were over. 

I opt out of basically all data collection, but I don't think I'd be that arsed about this. What are they going to do with my DNA? Use it to work out what makes me so handsome and funny? Crack on.

2 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I opt out of basically all data collection, but I don't think I'd be that arsed about this. What are they going to do with my DNA? Use it to work out what makes me so handsome and funny? Crack on.

He said they were going to use it for training. He didn't say what they were going to train it to do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Target figured out a man's daughter was pregnant before he did.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2012/02/16/how-target-figured-out-a-teen-girl-was-pregnant-before-her-father-did/

The bit that's arguably quite scary about it, is not the fact that you buy a meal deal on a Tuesday.

It's that that, and a million other little snippets about you, are collated, sold and swapped, simply to sell you things better or make you keep scrolling.

Knowing every little detail that makes you tick is the commodity.

I know, and I still can't get worked up enough to care. I buy what I want and I scroll when I want.