Electoral Boundaries

Non-Believer

This is interesting, the Electoral Commission examining fallout from the last Election are proposing changes to the boundaries to "level up" (my term) voting numbers in constituencies. This includes large areas of Ramsey being transferred to Ayre, Lezayre and Garff. Similarly, areas of Peel and elsewhere being "redistributed" too.

Screenshot taken from FB BBC IoM News

Screenshot_20231109-215306_Facebook.jpg

Been here before IK think? Some years ago but when has an MHK claimed to have more sway in a vote because they have more constituents than another MHK~???

Constituency boundaries have little sway on the vote in the Keys???

A pointless exercise???

I think it's a good principle that everyone's vote has equal weight. A Ramsey voter's being worth 19% less than the average (if my Maths is correct) and Ayre's is 9% below - their votes are worth 28% more than Ramsey's. (That's half an MHK - or one Tim Glover!). 

But unless we go to an all-Island constituency (and we know the biggest objections to that would come from Ramsey) then you need the boundaries to cover meaningful areas and there the devil is in the detail. Not sure Garff stretching from the outskirts of Ramsey to the edge of Onchan is all that satisfactory. 

I think the BBC report is slightly inaccurate. The electoral commission's page says - 

If approved by Tynwald, the boundaries of Glenfaba & Peel, Middle, Ramsey, and either Ayre & Michael or Garff could be altered for the next general election in 2026, to ensure fair and equal representation across constituencies.

https://www.gov.im/about-the-government/government/isle-of-man-electoral-commission/

Not 

Under the proposed changes, more than 400 people in the Clifton Drive and Thornhill Park areas of north Ramsey would be moved into Ayre and Michael.

About 680 people in the south of the town around the Stanley Mount and Ballure Road areas would be moved to Garff.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-67369817

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

I'm sure that the 400 voters of Clifton Park and Thornhill might be highly delighted if it meant that their Rates became part of the suggested constituencies too...

That's just what I was going to post. Rates in Ramsey are sky-high compared to Ayre and Michael. If you're paying massive rates like I am you wouldn't want to lose your right to vote in that same constituency.

7 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

That's just what I was going to post. Rates in Ramsey are sky-high compared to Ayre and Michael. If you're paying massive rates like I am you wouldn't want to lose your right to vote in that same constituency.

And ditto the voters in South Ramsey who may be transferred to Garff. I can sense the panic building in the gilded rooms of Ramsey Town Hall already.

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

And ditto the voters in South Ramsey who may be transferred to Garff. I can sense the panic building in the gilded rooms of Ramsey Town Hall already.

Another reason why they MHKs should tackle the anomaly of the rating system on the island. It has all gone quiet since Chris Thomas had the aerial photos taken.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Rates won't change though, just voting ability for MHKs. Just a fucking waste of time IMO. Keeps someone busy drawing up maps and reports though, which is good, because there's nothing else the Government should be getting on with at the moment.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I think you've misunderstood.  The proposal isn't to move these voters from Ramsey Town, just from Ramsey Constituency.  They would still pay Ramsey rates and vote in Ramsey Town Commissioners elections, just vote for the Keys in Garff or Ayre & Michael.  They'd be in the same situation as those at the other end of Garff Constituency who live in Onchan and pay Onchan rates and vote for the Onchan Commissioners, but who no longer have the pleasure of voting for Rob Callister.

And if the Ramsey boundary extension goes ahead there will be other people in the same situation anyway - in Ramsey Town but in a different constituency.

• Thanks 1

What difference does it make which constituency you are in?  I don’t get why someone on the outskirts of Ramsey would be particularly arsed about what their constituency is called.

You still have two people representing you, and in the case of a Ramsey voter they are now less thinly spread.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

Rates won't change though, just voting ability for MHKs. Just a fucking waste of time IMO. Keeps someone busy drawing up maps and reports though, which is good, because there's nothing else the Government should be getting on with at the moment.

Yes, there's a good handful of double-dippers who managed to get themselves onto the Electoral Commission on the grounds of their expertise in the subject...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CrazyDave said:

What difference does it make which constituency you are in?  I don’t get why someone on the outskirts of Ramsey would be particularly arsed about what their constituency is called.

You still have two people representing you, and in the case of a Ramsey voter they are now less thinly spread.

Because you couldn't have a situation where you vote for your MHK in one constituency but vote for your local authority in another.

• Confused 1